Sony sued for preventing customers from suing

Thor.

But the question is, if this trial finds favor of the plaintiff, will it be the start of putting companies like Sony in their place - Their hands far out of reach from the government "cookie jar" and punishing/ignoring their tantrums afterwards?

I think the more important thing is to set the legal precedent for this kind of lawsuit. There really has never been such a thing in the US at least of which I know.

This is very welcome news. I don't use the Sony network in any way so cannot comment on their EULA. I did notice that, some weeks ago when another member on here (who was from the US) urged us all to take a look at the new Microsoft Live/XBox EULA before agreeing, the reference he specifically mentioned preventing class action lawsuits was noticeable by its' absence from the EULA presented to Microsoft European users, this presumably being because consumer protection laws in the EU would strike down such a provision.

If someone in the US has decided that such protection should be afforded to their users, then all power to them.

Can any European Sony network users comment on whether or not the European version of their EULA does contain the same attempt to restrict class actions?

This is very welcome news. I don't use the Sony network in any way so cannot comment on their EULA. I did notice that, some weeks ago when another member on here (who was from the US) urged us all to take a look at the new Microsoft Live/XBox EULA before agreeing, the reference he specifically mentioned preventing class action lawsuits was noticeable by its' absence from the EULA presented to Microsoft European users, this presumably being because consumer protection laws in the EU would strike down such a provision.

If someone in the US has decided that such protection should be afforded to their users, then all power to them.

Can any European Sony network users comment on whether or not the European version of their EULA does contain the same attempt to restrict class actions?

http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html

I can't see anything.