should i switch

zerefnosekai

im contemplating on installing remastered are there bugs and crashes is it worth it for an optimization standpoint? does not having skse mess things up? im currently playing the regular edition and it being free(the special edition)

but my frames drop and stutter so much on regular so should i jump ship or wait till its fixed?

Edited by zerefnosekai

if you have it for free, just try it out.

experiences as usual differ very much.

for me , no way to look back, it runs smoother, looks better and is way more stable.

already more than 2000 mods ported. maybe its wise to lookup first if your favs are done. .i dont miss the not having skse at all.

but.. ..some ppl seem to have a lot of problems with it , mainly due to ignorance, its obvious quite a few ppl do NOT know how to use mods properly.

good luck

Edited by wim1234

Switch? I don't know. That depends on:

A) How big (and stable) is your old 32bit game?

B) How invested are you in your character(s) in that game?

However, you should definitely try it out for awhile. Like wim1234 said, there are already thousands of mods ported over by some of the most famous mod authors (Arthmoor, Elianora, MyGoodEye, Trainwiz -just to name a few) with hundreds more being created/ported-over every day.

Perhaps a comparison of my personal pros and cons might help you decide.

PROS:

1) 64-bit stability. I don't think I can underscore this enough. Despite having a beefy GPU and tweaking my load-order using all the great resources here at the Nexus, I would still crash in my old 32-bit game. With SE, the only time I crash is if I mess up and create a conflict. I've played DAYS without crashing.

2) "Fresh" mods. All of the mods for SE are either newly minted or freshly tested after porting. This means that bugs due a mod being old and not updated (possibly in years) simply don't exist for SE right now. This cuts down on troubleshooting immensely.

3) Workarounds. Many mods that normally would have to wait for SKSE (and possibly SkyUI) are being ported by their authors using ingenious workarounds to stand-in for things like MCM menus. These wouldn't work well (if at all) in the 32-bit version, but the 64-bit engine lets them do it and keep the mod stable. So, as you can see, a lot of popular mods that you thought you'd have to wait for are already being ported over.

CONS:

1) Achievements disabled. If you have ANY mods installed, your achievements (through Steam) are turned off. If you're a completionist, this can be a major bummer.

2) Not much in the way of bug fixes. For example, the engine driving the "road thief's" decision matrix still thinks that he can rob my level 25 character (decked out in heavy custom armor) whilst brandishing an iron dagger at me.

3) No SKSE (yet. -Might see it early next year.) And no SkyUI. Which means no MCM menus in mods. At least for now. (But see "Workarounds" above.)

I don;t think i will play oldrim unless for some few mods. SEE just runs so much better for me.

However, for some they crash a lot or have fps drop, just give it a try.

2) Not much in the way of bug fixes. For example, the engine driving the "road thief's" decision matrix still thinks that he can rob my level 25 character (decked out in heavy custom armor) whilst brandishing an iron dagger at me.

I don't think that is a bug. It more like bad game design.

I think an ok modder (not me.) can make them think otherwise. For example, maybe another starting line with the condition of the player being level 20+ make them walk away.

I don;t think i will play oldrim unless for some few mods. SEE just runs so much better for me.

However, for some they crash a lot or have fps drop, just give it a try.

I don't think that is a bug. It more like bad game design.

I think an ok modder (not me.) can make them think otherwise. For example, maybe another starting line with the condition of the player being level 20+ make them walk away.

It's actually a bug in the game's cognitive matrix (or what supposedly passes for it.) The USKP even has it logged. I did bemoan the fact that no mod was available to do what you suggested at the time. I have no skill (or time) for modding. Otherwise, I'd love to make one where you can verbally berate a stupid NPC and actually make them walk away in shame.

Uhm, let me see.... (digs deep, deep into the archives...) AH, yes! Here it is. An OLD thread I launched about those stupid road thieves from years ago. Some good, funny posts in there if you want to take a look. Please, everyone, do NOT post in that old thread. That would be one heck of a necro.

There's a VRAM/RAM limit of 4gb if you're on Windows 8.1/10, so if you're on either, it's a definite yes.

If you have 64 bit Windows your RAM limit is increased to 16G. I have four 4G sticks in mine and Windows sees it all.

I think spinsix was regarding to the 4gb vram/ram limit on directx9. Windows isn't limited (ok with 64 bit somewhere over 100 GB and even higher on pro Versions and all those stuff). So even if Windows "sees" all the ram/vram it can't use all of it in directx9 games.