What do you use to protect your PC?

hoofhearted4

I rely mainly on Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. For some reason conducting full system scans with antivirus programs causes a complete system crash.

Occasionally, I download Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows Update and do a quick scan in safe mode, then uninstall afterwards before it causes problems with my computer, but Windows Firewall and Defender seem to be doing their job.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant use No Script. it messes stuff up.

for example, i cant look at my Cart in Newegg with that running. so i just dont have it. i do use Adblock Plus though (and Web of Trust)

Microsoft security essentials works just fine for me and a program called Trusteer recommended and given to me for free by my bank ... It's backed by Banks and Financial instituitions ... a brilliant program that prevents malware and phishing attacks etc., this works nice and quietly in the background ... check it out at Trusteer.com.

A gun and AdBlockPlus.

CCleaner doesn't do jacksquat to protect your system from anything other than clutter. I use it, but I know it's limits.

As someone else said, the first and best line of defense is the user.

As someone else said, the first and best line of defense is the user.

Someone referred to me. I feel special ^_^

Another thing I do to protect my computer is Xubuntu (Ubuntu with XFCE). When something is too sketchy to open, I boot into my Xubuntu installation on my separate hard drive and open it with WINE. Since Xubuntu doesn't really get infected with windows viruses, it's like a sandbox for me. And it's free, so I don't have to buy something that I only use once every couple months.

yea i have CCleaner too, but its a cleaner not a protection :P

Someone mentioned that they had CCleaner in the same sentence as their Malware apps. So I felt the need to point out the seemingly obvious. Seemingly, because from my experience there is a very common misconception that CCleaner is some sort of Malware removal tool.