[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

"--- I.e. firearms projectiles changed to ballistic rather than hitscan."

Last time I played a mod with that, I was disappointing at first because I knew it meant more engine resources, and then I was through with it when I found out that my f***ing .308 had a good 2 or 3 second led-time at...get this...100 meters.

Okay really, censorship? ??? Anyway

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19642/?

That is an example of what NOT to do, it's been a while, so IDK if it has been improved.

I just want to point out that if you are putting in real-life ballistic velocities, then you really need to look at real life velocities.

Thing is, ballistics aren't that simple, you lose velocity over distance, barrel length also effects muzzle velocity.

And gravity, and wind. These two I doubt you can implement without the inability to transfer to xbox (if you wish to)

You need to do strenuous tests with the game engine regardless, and it seems that hitscan has less issues, though I applaud any work in making velocity even just alone work, as this allows the range of weapons to increase MASSIVELY. As in, useful weapons to choose from, beginning to end-game, depending on the mission at hand.

For example, the VSS is a stealth sniper's best friend, but it has a low muzzle velocity because it fires subsonic, though being accurate beyond even 400 meters.

So with a mega-beast weapon, you can limit it simply via IRL characteristics of muzzle velocity.

Edited by Sqepticism

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the War Never Changes mod. It's an ok mod but I do agree on the bullet velocity aspect of it. It just felt as if the rounds were traveling too slowly and were colliding with objects in ways that didn't make sense. On my Xbox One, I use a mod called Realistic Bullets - Velocity and Gravity. It felt as if the rounds traveled faster than they did in War Never Changes. So far, it's the only other mod that I could find on Bethesda.net that applies bullet velocity. It's not perfect but I find it serviceable enough until I find a better mod.

And no, I don't think War Never Changes had received any improvements. It's pretty much remained the same for a while and I don't think it's being supported anymore. I could be wrong though.

Antistar,I wonder. We have the Thompson for the .45 ACP SMG. Another popular SMG for that calibre is the KRISS Vector. I'm absolutely certain you've seen it somewhere,thanks to its proliferation in fiction,especially games. High RoF,negligible recoil thanks to comps and clever design,and,thanks to the inherent power of .45 ACP,a close quarters powerhouse. The compact design and folding stock makes it smaller and lighter than the classic Tommy Gun,though I can't see hide nor hair about Vector-compatible high capacity magazines. Or suppressors.

Something to consider? It would allow you to clearly define roles for both weapons,too; One for when you need a drum,and one for when you just can't spare the weight.

Probably not on the Vector, sorry; it doesn't really fit the style I'm after and if you want a lighter alternative to the Tommy Gun there will be Glocks in .45 ACP. Stiffer recoil since they're much lighter than a Tommy Gun, though.

I do also still want a MAC-10 at some point as another lighter alternative to the Tommy Gun, and I'm also keen on there being patch support for DeadPool2099's Grease Gun.

I know jack s*** to be honest, but I swear I hit my targets with hitscan with no problems at all while ballistic projectiles tend to ricochet a lot, mostly when they really shouldn't - next to wall edges, tops of fences and those god damned industrial railings

Also take it with a grain of salt but I think I read somewhere one day that hitscan can ignore walls under certain circumstances, it's as if they made it to ignore the railings or invisible walls in most car wrecks. If it's true I suppose it was made so weapons like the rocket launcher or Fat Man can't go through tight spots

And to be honest, I haven't tried AmmoTweaks, I only used Bullets of Fate and some other mod. They both do the same thing and both were abandoned after one or two updates

Also do you perhaps know whether someone is working on some sort of auto reloading disabler? There's a mod on Nexus that does just that but from the looks of it it's super buggy and the way it does its thing leaves a lot to be desired

I was pleasantly surprised when Bethsoft fixed weapons being magically reloaded when you switched away from them, in a patch a while back. That's one of my pet peeves; I hate it when games do that.

But if you mean something to disable weapons automatically reloading when you fire the last round, unfortunately I don't know of any mods that do a good job of fixing that. It's a shame; that's also a pet peeve of mine, though to a lesser degree.

"--- I.e. firearms projectiles changed to ballistic rather than hitscan."

Last time I played a mod with that, I was disappointing at first because I knew it meant more engine resources, and then I was through with it when I found out that my f***ing .308 had a good 2 or 3 second led-time at...get this...100 meters.

Okay really, censorship? ??? Anyway

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19642/?

That is an example of what NOT to do, it's been a while, so IDK if it has been improved.

I just want to point out that if you are putting in real-life ballistic velocities, then you really need to look at real life velocities.

Thing is, ballistics aren't that simple, you lose velocity over distance, barrel length also effects muzzle velocity.

And gravity, and wind. These two I doubt you can implement without the inability to transfer to xbox (if you wish to)

You need to do strenuous tests with the game engine regardless, and it seems that hitscan has less issues, though I applaud any work in making velocity even just alone work, as this allows the range of weapons to increase MASSIVELY. As in, useful weapons to choose from, beginning to end-game, depending on the mission at hand.

For example, the VSS is a stealth sniper's best friend, but it has a low muzzle velocity because it fires subsonic, though being accurate beyond even 400 meters.

So with a mega-beast weapon, you can limit it simply via IRL characteristics of muzzle velocity.

AmmoTweaks apparently uses real-world muzzle velocity values converted to Fallout units to get projectile speed, and projectiles are affected by gravity too, though I get the impression that it's harder to work out exact values there. FO4 has no wind though, not really. Only cosmetically, with particle effects and wind noises. I think we may be out of luck with projectile deceleration, too. Looking at the projectile record, there's a value for speed and a value for gravity, and that's it.

Here's the Skorpion vz. 61 in-game:

- Skorpion vz. 61 05

- Skorpion vz. 61 06

- Skorpion vz. 61 07

Pictured in the first one there is the basic "pistol" configuration. As I understand it, tank crews (for example) would start with a ten-round magazine loaded like this because it would fit in the holster that way. After exhausting this tiny mag, they'd switch to twenty-round mags.

The second image has the classic "machine pistol" configuration with a twenty-round magazine and wire stock.

In the third image is the fully decked-out Skorpion, including fictional forty-round drum mag and wooden "infantry" stock that didn't end up being commonly used anywhere, I don't think.

For the Minigun, I thought, why not replace it with an M60 or similar, since you mentioned that on the Possible Weapons page? It's not the same, but it would fulfill a similar gameplay niche.

There are some technical obstacles involved in doing an M60; search the thread (just for "M60" should do it) to see the previous discussions on it. I would like to have an M60 in there, though.

Not to replace the minigun, however; just as an addition. It's difficult to do a minigun "right" in computer games, but I don't want to take it out; it's too iconic for that - both in FO4 and just generally.

If you need another break from the repetitive CK work at some point, could you possibly make a trigger group for the right handed AK? I've been watching haru's progress videos for his animations for it, and they reminded me that if you have the crappy receiver on it (w/o dust cover) the whole receiver is just empty, and it looks super awkward. No need to animate the hammer or anything; just having it in there would be so much better than the empty box Bethesda made.

Off the top of my head I'm only using the cover-less receiver model for the crappiest-quality receiver, and you can only really see right inside to where the trigger group should be during blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments of the reload animation. (Unless I'm very mistaken about where it goes.) It'd be a relatively complex addition that only some people would notice at rare moments if they're actively looking for it, so I don't think I can justify spending time on it, sorry.

Knowing it's just an empty box in there sort of bugs me too, but I've got too much other work to do.

Are we gonna get a standalone version of the Mini-14 to futz around with? I'm just so grossed out by the Combat Rifle at this juncture

No, read the first page. Antistar will most likely never make standalone versions of any of his guns. However, he did say if someone else were to make standalone versions, that would probably be okay.

Are we gonna get a standalone version of the Mini-14 to futz around with? I'm just so grossed out by the Combat Rifle at this juncture

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27118

That's probably the best Combat Rifle replacer out there, if you want JUST that gun replaced. There's also https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26120 if you want the 'Assault Rifle' replaced as well.