[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

40mm grenades; The most versatile death-dealing platform infantry can carry,without scaling up to an 84mm shell!

EDIT,because I'm stupid: Now,about something only tangentially related to the mod; Scrap values. How will scrapping the weapons be handled? My playstyle is very scavenger. Pick up every ranged weapon,and pick up every melee weapon and armour piece that has an upgrade on it,with the express purpose to break down what I pick up. If I scrap an AR-15 that's been given lots of TLC by the Gunners,what can I expect my payout to be?

Edited by Moldy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Current US Army 40mm buckshot nades usually have 24 pellets, max range is out to 30-40 metres. Pellets spread out in a 1.5m circle at 40 metres.

You're pretty much on the ball in regards to the design of the round - you've got the pellets in a little cup thingy nested inside a sabot.

I suppose if you wanted to balance out its high pellet count you could add a hidden armour reduction/DT bypass effect.

00 buckshot apparently normally has 9 pellets in it, so I don't know how the pellet size compares, but stepping up to 24 pellets sounds pretty decent. I can imagine 40mm buckshot rounds in the China Lake being interesting to use against the bigger mutated wildlife...

40mm grenades; The most versatile death-dealing platform infantry can carry,without scaling up to an 84mm shell!

EDIT,because I'm stupid: Now,about something only tangentially related to the mod; Scrap values. How will scrapping the weapons be handled? My playstyle is very scavenger. Pick up every ranged weapon,and pick up every melee weapon and armour piece that has an upgrade on it,with the express purpose to break down what I pick up. If I scrap an AR-15 that's been given lots of TLC by the Gunners,what can I expect my payout to be?

I haven't really looked at scrapping yet, but I was under the impression that it's handled automatically, drawing components from the crafting recipes for the object mods attached to a weapon.

A really decked out AR-15 will have a lot of stuff on it - since I added new weapon mod "slots" to it - so I imagine you'd get more stuff back than you would when scrapping the average vanilla weapon.

Whoops made a mistake, 40mm buckshot rounds have twenty 24-grain pellets...at least that's what the US Army technical manual says. Then globalsecurity.org mentions that it has 27 00 buckshot pellets.

Seems like it has a very wide spread too, basically turning a grenade launcher into a sawed off shotty.

The Mossberg texturing is coming along; there's mostly just some details like wear and tear to go now. Haven't got to the wood material versions of the stock and pump yet though, admittedly. That should be interesting; I haven't done much with wood materials in Substance Painter before. Really just the subtle changes/additions I made to the wood on the Mini-14.

Here's something I've been thinking about lately, though. When I get to giving all the weapon object mods realistic weights (as much as possible; depends on what info I can find), I'm going to try giving them an effect that boosts the wielder's encumbrance limit by an equal amount when the weapon is equipped. (The same effect used by the "pocketed" omods for armour pieces. I don't think it's possible to simply reduce the weapon's weight when equipped.)

The idea being that when the weapon is in your hands, it's not taking up room in your backpack/pockets/whatever. This is actually something I wanted as part of an encumbrance overhaul in the "SOS" mod I'm planning - mentioned in the second post as a sister mod to WARS that overhauls parts of the game that are not directly combat-related. However if I was to do that, I would need to edit all the weapon omods in SOS and then all of them again in a patch for it and WARS. So I'll probably do it in WARS instead to make things more sane to deal with.

For anyone interested, my current thinking with the rest of the encumbrance overhaul (in SOS, not WARS) is:

- Base encumbrance limit is very low. Affected by Strength, but probably not by much.

- You need to wear equipment with storage (e.g. backpacks, clothes with pockets/pouches) to be able to carry things, really.

- The encumbrance limit bonus provided by each piece of equipment increases with your Strength, so both Strength and equipment is important.

- Weapons boost encumbrance limit by amount equal to their weight when equipped, as mentioned.

- Armour/clothing weighs less when equipped; less and less with each rank of Strong Back, down to nothing.

That's all subject to me finding a way to make it work on the technical side, of course. From a bit of poking around I think I can make it work, though.

Speaking of SOS (Survival Overhaul Suite), I've recently been thinking I'll call it something else, actually. I like the SOS acronym, but I think its name might give people the impression that overhauling Survival Mode is all it does - and I have more in mind than that, so it could end up being a little misleading. At the same time, it's intended as a sister mod to WARS, and should a patch be required to use it and WARS at the same time, I was always planning to call it the "War and Peace" patch... because how could I pass up on that opportunity?

So I may end up just calling it PEACE to make things simpler. Of course that means I need an awkward backronym for it, so at the moment I'm considering "Project Extend And Change Everything*".

*Okay not literally everything obviously. But WARS is for combat and PEACE would be for everything else I change/add.

Just a quick blip here, a new mod has just popped up on the Nexus.

I remember you demonstrated your work for an Underbarrel launcher a while ago for the AR series. This mod has something on that for the handmade rifle.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26532/?

Might be worth a look.

Looks like the mod author made it private. Dunno what to think about that,to be honest.

Now,more on topic,a concern,relating to .45-70 ammo. From the research I've done,it doesn't appear to be a long range cartridge; A flat-tipped bullet,propelled by a 70 grain powder load. However,in Far Harbour,the lever-action rifle is presented to us as a sniper's weapon,with a 122 unit (Metre? Foot? Yard?) range before damage falloff,with the standard barrel. Long barrels bump that up to 206 units. Comparing that to the game's other sniper's weapons,the Hunting Rifle,Combat Rifle,and Handmade Rifle Marksman's Edition,we have...

-Lever-Action Sniper: 206 units.

-Hunting Sniper Rifle: 215 units.

-Combat Sniper Rifle: 203 units.

-Handmade Sniper Rifle: 221 units.

These are assuming that the weapons were built with maximum effective range in mind; No suppressors,no compensators,nothing on the muzzle. Just a good receiver,and a good,long barrel.

Looking at the calibres such weapons take,you can see my issue.

-Lever-Action: .45-70 Gov't,exclusively.

-Hunting Rifle: .308 Winchester,.50 Browning.

-Combat Rifle: .45 ACP (WHY!?),.308 Winchester,S&W .38 Special (WHY!?).

-Handmade Rifle: 7.62*51mm NATO,exclusively.

Now,excluding the insanity that is the Combat Rifle using mostly pistol cartridges with god-awful ballistics at range,let's look at the rounds at play here.

-.308 Winchester: Colloquially known as the civilian's 7.62 round. A tiny bit narrower than the 7.62,but it's the go-to hunting round,and for good reason; Excellent effective range,ballistics,and penetration,on top of a calibre that's effective against most common game. In fact,I wouldn't be surprised if the .308 was part of the basis of the 7.62.

-.50 Browning: Yeah,the world's first modern AMR was just a Browning M2 with a scope attached,with the operator only firing one bullet at a time.

-7.62*51mm NATO: When you think up a modern sniper rifle,you either think up a .50 AMR,or something that uses this bullet. Further,this bullet is used in machine guns,due to its excellent ballistics,penetrating power,and wonderful effective range.

Comparatively speaking,the .45-70 should not be able to compete with these three cartridges for range. Great for dropping bears,but not at 200 metres.

Edited by Moldy

It would be interesting to see how the under-barrel launcher was implemented in that mod, but yeah; the file is hidden at the moment.

As for damage falloff over range and whatnot, I'll have a look at ballistics data when I get to that part, with the aim being to have relative differences between different rounds and weapons hopefully make sense and feel right, if nothing else.

As kind of a side-note on muzzle devices: I may remove their "range" penalties in WARS as my understanding is that they don't appreciably affect things like muzzle velocity since they're positioned on the muzzle, and the round has already accelerated to where it's going to via expanding gas in the barrel by the time it leaves the barrel and passes through the compensator/suppressor/whatever. Ported barrels on the other hand may affect the "range" (and damage?) since gas is escaping from the barrel sooner than it otherwise would in a barrel of the same length.

... I'm possibly not explaining that well, and again I'm an Australian computer nerd so I've never so much as touched a real firearm; this is all from various bits of research. In any case; in WARS, muzzle devices may be a straight upgrade (excepting added weight), though I may have suppressors reduce recoil less than compensators/brakes.

A few other comments - and some of this is mentioned in the OP:

- The Hunting Rifle (Remington M700) will be .308 only - no .50 BMG because seriously. Maybe .30-06 as well though if that round is in AmmoTweaks?

- The Combat Rifle is replaced with the Mini-14 in WARS and now uses 5.56x45mm only.

- The Handmade Rifle is an AKM (called "Handmade AKM" in WARS) and uses 7.62x39mm rather than 7.62x51mm. In vanilla they just use the vague "7.62" as the ammo name, hence the confusion.

- 7.62x51mm NATO is indeed very similar to .308 Winchester.

You're pretty close - suppressors shouldn't affect damage dropoff since the bullet velocity is unchanged (unless you use subsonic ammo), nor is the accuracy, in fact if they did change those two things it'd for the better because the barrel length is effectively increased.

Muzzle brakes and compensators are a different story though.

Nice to see a fellow aussie nerd, too bad guns are much harder to get here but that's a whole other can of worms.

Edited by Bottletopman