Advertising on Nexus Mods. The how, what and why, and what to do when it goes wrong.

Dark0ne

In response to post #45866050.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

In response to post #45827720. #45849115 is also a reply to the same post.

janishewski wrote: I'll never understand what it is about online ads that make people so angry? I've been using Nexus for a very long time and the ads have never bothered me, they've never interfered with my use of the site, and I know that they are generating the money that keeps the site we all use and love going. It's too bad ad blockers can't be detected so that people that use them can be banned from using web sites offering them free services in exchange for literally nothing but a bit of screen space that can be ignored.
EDIT: You might want to push that subscription a little more. I understand you don't want to get too into peoples faces about it, but I didn't even remember it until I read this article.

Portaller wrote: They can be detected, but blocking people who use adblockers would be worse for the site.

On Nexus, I've never had a problem with ads. On other sites, I most certainly have. One mod site I tried to use for a game that, sadly, did not have a presence on Nexus would visibly load slower. Hitting the next page button would take 3-5 seconds to load the page and when you're talking about flipping through literally hundreds of pages, the time ads up.

Some ads can also be dangerous. Again, it isn't really a problem here on Nexus because the site owners are super awesome about how they implement ads, but some sites will have pop ads where you could inadvertently click on them. Sometimes this is also with fake close buttons that actually redirect you to a malicious website.

With the right tools, website owners can detect ads. Some websites take efforts to block people using ad block, others don't. Unfortunately, I find that the worst offenders when it comes to malicious ads are often the ones blocking people using ad block.

You're a supporter and it doesn't sound like you use adblock so you probably don't see that if you do use adblock, the regions for advertisments get replaced with messages about paying the 2$ to have them removed.

Yeah sites that dont penalize me for using adblock like the nexus are often the ones i turn ads on for.

I'm the same way. Even paid the $2 to Nexus to help support them. Other sites, like forbes and now sadly wikia which won't let you see the content if you have ad block on, I simply don't visit.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a problem a couple of years ago,and exus mds would lke pont me out to a virus page...those fake chrome updates pages...and promptly my antivirus would tell me i was visiting a dangerous site.

i thought i had a virus on my pc...i brought it to a friend of mine ,and he told mei had no virus it was simply an ad and that i had either to stop going on this sites (nexusmods),or install adblockers.

i was never once bothered by ads,but when tey threathen your pc security andkinda block your PC everytime they open up a page you did not request...it was kinda impossible to go without...

Seeing as the site was so popular...i cant immagine how many people just got the adblockers just to be able to safely browse THIS site...

i'm not even sure that was any kind of LEGAL AD,because it wasnt like a normal ad with the banner...it'd just open up a new page,and not let you go back to where you were browsing...and you have to close all the brower winsows,and repopen from tart,till you'd ge again the same issue.

i really doubt this is a common ad,so can you confirm you got this threath removed?

Edited by zzjay

In response to post #45939830.

Thandal wrote:

I kinda turn adblock on and off all the time for this site. I really do wanna support you guys, but some of these ads are just so broken and annoying.

US$2.00 is too much for you to become a Supporter and enjoy the Nexus ad-free for life? :huh:

Seriously, that would be the best $2 you'll ever spend. I can't believe everyone who uses the Nexus sites doesn't have it.

In response to post #45827720. #45849115, #45852745 are all replies on the same post.

janishewski wrote: I'll never understand what it is about online ads that make people so angry? I've been using Nexus for a very long time and the ads have never bothered me, they've never interfered with my use of the site, and I know that they are generating the money that keeps the site we all use and love going. It's too bad ad blockers can't be detected so that people that use them can be banned from using web sites offering them free services in exchange for literally nothing but a bit of screen space that can be ignored.
EDIT: You might want to push that subscription a little more. I understand you don't want to get too into peoples faces about it, but I didn't even remember it until I read this article.
Portaller wrote: They can be detected, but blocking people who use adblockers would be worse for the site.
evlydia wrote: On Nexus, I've never had a problem with ads. On other sites, I most certainly have. One mod site I tried to use for a game that, sadly, did not have a presence on Nexus would visibly load slower. Hitting the next page button would take 3-5 seconds to load the page and when you're talking about flipping through literally hundreds of pages, the time ads up.

Some ads can also be dangerous. Again, it isn't really a problem here on Nexus because the site owners are super awesome about how they implement ads, but some sites will have pop ads where you could inadvertently click on them. Sometimes this is also with fake close buttons that actually redirect you to a malicious website.

With the right tools, website owners can detect ads. Some websites take efforts to block people using ad block, others don't. Unfortunately, I find that the worst offenders when it comes to malicious ads are often the ones blocking people using ad block.

You're a supporter and it doesn't sound like you use adblock so you probably don't see that if you do use adblock, the regions for advertisments get replaced with messages about paying the 2$ to have them removed.

I can't count the amount of times I've experienced issues with ad networks distributing browse-by viruses. I've worked in IT for a while now and blocking certain ad networks from the network cut down on a lot of issues. It isn't as bad as certain adult oriented sites online but even Adsense has it's issues with viruses. It won't surprise me if someday all websites become paid membership style sites.

In response to post #45939830. #45965245 is also a reply to the same post.

Thandal wrote:

I kinda turn adblock on and off all the time for this site. I really do wanna support you guys, but some of these ads are just so broken and annoying.

US$2.00 is too much for you to become a Supporter and enjoy the Nexus ad-free for life? :huh:

lifeinthaboot wrote: Seriously, that would be the best $2 you'll ever spend. I can't believe everyone who uses the Nexus sites doesn't have it.

The vast majority of members paid $60 or more for the game that they are modding. Factor in all the other gaming purchases (Computer, monitor, peripherals, chair, audio, ISP...ect) and you should quickly get an idea of how much this hobby actually costs...

Lets be Frank about this. Every single active member has the ability to spend $2 for a lifetime of services/data that they are already receiving. Edited by Higherleopards

In response to post #45939830. #45965245, #45981685 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

lifeinthaboot wrote: Seriously, that would be the best $2 you'll ever spend. I can't believe everyone who uses the Nexus sites doesn't have it.
Higherleopards wrote: The vast majority of members paid $60 or more for the game that they are modding. Factor in all the other gaming purchases (Computer, monitor, peripherals, chair, audio, ISP...ect) and you should quickly get an idea of how much this hobby actually costs...

Lets be Frank about this. Every single active member has the ability to spend $2 for a lifetime of services/data that they are already receiving.

I would like to point out that some may not have the ability to donate $2 at all, if they're a minor without PayPal or a credit card or something (cough cough me).

In response to post #45939830. #45965245, #45981685 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

Higherleopards wrote: The vast majority of members paid $60 or more for the game that they are modding. Factor in all the other gaming purchases (Computer, monitor, peripherals, chair, audio, ISP...ect) and you should quickly get an idea of how much this hobby actually costs...

Lets be Frank about this. Every single active member has the ability to spend $2 for a lifetime of services/data that they are already receiving.

I would like to point out that some may not have the ability to donate $2 at all, if they're a minor without PayPal or a credit card or something (cough cough me).

minor? how old are you that you cant get a paypal? i got mine when i was 16 and i filed for and acquired my own credit card when i was 14.

In response to post #46010870.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

Thandal wrote:

minor? how old are you that you cant get a paypal? i got mine when i was 16 and i filed for and acquired my own credit card when i was 14.

You can't get a credit or debit card here in Norway for use on the Internet until you're 18 years of age.

As for PayPal, I think it's the same. Edited by rudeguygames