Advertising on Nexus Mods. The how, what and why, and what to do when it goes wrong.

Dark0ne

Bad ads aren't just virus or scripts, but also noisy ads, prize game ads, blocking ads(ads that block the whole screen) and such.

That's why I mainly use adblock, but, Nexus Mods has no ads like that, just normal ads that don't block the screen or are noisy, so, for Nexus, my AdBlock is disabled.

I support AdBlock, but for noisy ads, screen-blocking ads, redirecting ads, video ads that prevent us from accessing the videos we want(happens a lot with me on Youtube). I have a channel on Youtube, and I know the other end of the spectrum.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #46010870.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

In response to post #45939830. #45965245, #45981685 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

I kinda turn adblock on and off all the time for this site. I really do wanna support you guys, but some of these ads are just so broken and annoying.

US$2.00 is too much for you to become a Supporter and enjoy the Nexus ad-free for life? :huh:

lifeinthaboot wrote: Seriously, that would be the best $2 you'll ever spend. I can't believe everyone who uses the Nexus sites doesn't have it.
Higherleopards wrote: The vast majority of members paid $60 or more for the game that they are modding. Factor in all the other gaming purchases (Computer, monitor, peripherals, chair, audio, ISP...ect) and you should quickly get an idea of how much this hobby actually costs...

Lets be Frank about this. Every single active member has the ability to spend $2 for a lifetime of services/data that they are already receiving.

I would like to point out that some may not have the ability to donate $2 at all, if they're a minor without PayPal or a credit card or something (cough cough me).

minor? how old are you that you cant get a paypal? i got mine when i was 16 and i filed for and acquired my own credit card when i was 14.

You can't get a credit or debit card here in Norway for use on the Internet until you're 18 years of age.

As for PayPal, I think it's the same.

fair enough

In response to post #45919900.

zzjay wrote: i had a problem a couple of years ago,and exus mds would lke pont me out to a virus page...those fake chrome updates pages...and promptly my antivirus would tell me i was visiting a dangerous site.
i thought i had a virus on my pc...i brought it to a friend of mine ,and he told mei had no virus it was simply an ad and that i had either to stop going on this sites (nexusmods),or install adblockers.

i was never once bothered by ads,but when tey threathen your pc security andkinda block your PC everytime they open up a page you did not request...it was kinda impossible to go without...

Seeing as the site was so popular...i cant immagine how many people just got the adblockers just to be able to safely browse THIS site...

i'm not even sure that was any kind of LEGAL AD,because it wasnt like a normal ad with the banner...it'd just open up a new page,and not let you go back to where you were browsing...and you have to close all the brower winsows,and repopen from tart,till you'd ge again the same issue.

i really doubt this is a common ad,so can you confirm you got this threath removed?

what you have described here is what i have been going about calling the "bigfish" virus ( because it uses an intermediate website called "bigfish").
It circulates around on any and all machines connected to the same network if it can otherwise it just sits there quietly until you try to open a web page.
Although it is easier for it to infect apple product's, due to "invalidity protocols" apparently.
The real problem comes when you activate or download one of those script, embedded in the redirected website trying to remove it because it doesn't do anything other then redirect you, most scanners will not be able to detect it.
which becomes a pain when you have to remove it from 8+ machines because iv'e found it do be significantly easier to nuke it and rebuild (nuke as in writing zeros to every part of all drives).
now there is also the possibility that you traffic is being intercepted by an attack bot which directs you to another site. to test this theory requires taking your device to another location and trying again from there

pretty much in terms of the nexus your better off donating $50 to clear your conscience if you intend to use ad-block
the virus on the other hand is one of those things you grab MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, which is what the big guys use to disinfect your computer before connecting it to their own networt.

In response to post #45919900. #46247240 is also a reply to the same post.

zzjay wrote: i had a problem a couple of years ago,and exus mds would lke pont me out to a virus page...those fake chrome updates pages...and promptly my antivirus would tell me i was visiting a dangerous site.
i thought i had a virus on my pc...i brought it to a friend of mine ,and he told mei had no virus it was simply an ad and that i had either to stop going on this sites (nexusmods),or install adblockers.

i was never once bothered by ads,but when tey threathen your pc security andkinda block your PC everytime they open up a page you did not request...it was kinda impossible to go without...

Seeing as the site was so popular...i cant immagine how many people just got the adblockers just to be able to safely browse THIS site...

i'm not even sure that was any kind of LEGAL AD,because it wasnt like a normal ad with the banner...it'd just open up a new page,and not let you go back to where you were browsing...and you have to close all the brower winsows,and repopen from tart,till you'd ge again the same issue.

i really doubt this is a common ad,so can you confirm you got this threath removed?
epbenten wrote: what you have described here is what i have been going about calling the "bigfish" virus ( because it uses an intermediate website called "bigfish").
It circulates around on any and all machines connected to the same network if it can otherwise it just sits there quietly until you try to open a web page.
Although it is easier for it to infect apple product's, due to "invalidity protocols" apparently.
The real problem comes when you activate or download one of those script, embedded in the redirected website trying to remove it because it doesn't do anything other then redirect you, most scanners will not be able to detect it.
which becomes a pain when you have to remove it from 8+ machines because iv'e found it do be significantly easier to nuke it and rebuild (nuke as in writing zeros to every part of all drives).
now there is also the possibility that you traffic is being intercepted by an attack bot which directs you to another site. to test this theory requires taking your device to another location and trying again from there

pretty much in terms of the nexus your better off donating $50 to clear your conscience if you intend to use ad-block
the virus on the other hand is one of those things you grab MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, which is what the big guys use to disinfect your computer before connecting it to their own networt.

thats not a virus on my end...the problem has stopped like 3\4 years ago or so,and it was related to nexus mods only...it was like a ake google chrome page,telling you try out this new browser google chrome. (and i was on chrome already)

there's no network collected run malwerbytes a tons of time,and also wiped it all a couple of times in the years yet nothign was found on my end. Edited by zzjay

ive never had a problem with the ads on nexus, one day there was a post on the nexus site that said "we fixed the intrusive ads so please turn off your adblock" and guiltily i did turn my adblock off for nexus realising i was taking money away from my favourite site, and since then i have never had a ad that expanded to block the screen or play audio or do anything annoying

all the ads have been unobtrusive so far so i dont regret turning off adblock for nexus at all, most of the ads i see are even for charities or causes such as adoption so thats nice to see

maybe thats just the ad companies profiling me though

In response to post #45919900. #46247240, #46277425 are all replies on the same post.

epbenten wrote: what you have described here is what i have been going about calling the "bigfish" virus ( because it uses an intermediate website called "bigfish").

zzjay wrote: thats not a virus on my end...the problem has stopped like 3\4 years ago or so,and it was related to nexus mods only...it was like a ake google chrome page,telling you try out this new browser google chrome. (and i was on chrome already)

there's no network collected run malwerbytes a tons of time,and also wiped it all a couple of times in the years yet nothign was found on my end.

i had this problem not related to nexus at all, the malware redirecting me to scam sites and pasting ads over webpages i knew didnt have any

in my case it was installing itself in my chrome brwoser extensions, so a fresh install of chrome and a pruning of suspicious folders in my .appdata folder and liberal use of malwarebytes scanning fixed it for me

malware is smart, it will hide in your browser where things cant find it easily, and itll do stuff to your browsing experience making you think something wrong with the site when your browser is infected Edited by lucasnox