Advertising on Nexus Mods. The how, what and why, and what to do when it goes wrong.

Dark0ne

In response to post #45752880.

Thandal wrote:

... until I can afford the Lifetime Premium or Supporter.

US$2.00 -- That's all it takes to become a Supporter. Surely you have the price of half-a-Starbucks! :thumbsup:

will being a supporter bring back the usual dl speeds? or maybe faster? cos lately i am having trouble downloading even less than 1mb mods..usually stops at 20kb and that is it..wasn't like mid november when last i downloaded a mod...did i miss anything... (-_-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have being on Nexus for a damn long time (and that is before i registered for an account) and I only recently put it as a supporter.

Yeah I was broke back then, but now I am working so no excuses.

Many thanks to Nexus who gave me so many mods and fun stuff to do throughout my gamer days of youth :)

I ain't so young anymore, but still addicted enough to have 80+ mods running on my fallout 4 for example. The price of ad free browsing is chump change.

Edited by A_name

I'll never understand what it is about online ads that make people so angry? I've been using Nexus for a very long time and the ads have never bothered me, they've never interfered with my use of the site, and I know that they are generating the money that keeps the site we all use and love going. It's too bad ad blockers can't be detected so that people that use them can be banned from using web sites offering them free services in exchange for literally nothing but a bit of screen space that can be ignored.

EDIT: You might want to push that subscription a little more. I understand you don't want to get too into peoples faces about it, but I didn't even remember it until I read this article.

Edited by janishewski

In response to post #45748705.

arecaidianfox wrote: I will admit (rather shamefully) that I did have to use an adblocker on here for a long length of time. I was in (and am still getting out of) a horrid financial situation, and even $2 a lot of the time meant the difference between food and no food. I was staying at a place that had no internet connection of it's own, and had to use the guest connection of a nearby business. As such, it was slow, very bottlenecked, and the ads here would cripple my connection. Adblock allowed me to actually view the site and grab the mods I was wanting, for whatever game I was playing at the time to help cope with everything.

But I promised that when things were better, I'd pay for Supporter status, and I made good on that. Now I'm looking to keep bettering things in my life, and when I get to the point where I can, I'll gladly pay for Lifetime Premium. I'm glad this site is here, and I'm glad to be able to support it. That support may not have been immediate, which I wish to make up for. Because I hope that Nexus Mods is around for many more years to come, and I want to help ensure that, for anyone else who may be in the same situation I was in not that long ago.

I think anyone not born wealthy has gone through a tough financial time. I've been there, and I'm sure most of the people on here have as well. When I was a student, I worked full time and was living in Chicago, which is not cheap to begin with. I literally had about 30 dollars a week to live on and that had to include the train ride to school if I didn't feel like walking a few miles each way. There is no excuse now though, I should donate. I honestly didn't even remember about the membership and that might be something Nexus might want to push more. Anyway, glad to hear things are getting better for you. Good luck with everything!!!

In response to post #45705510. #45734270, #45734605 are all replies on the same post.

MagicUnicorn wrote: IMO take a little agressive stance... Make the page acessible only with addblock turn off (lots of webites already do this), in fact the adds of Nexus are too small to be noticible and there's no popups, i dont get why people turn on Addblock here.
cylers wrote: That would cripple the nexus tbh. They have a lot of competitors that are both easier to use and some don't serve any ads at all.
Ethreon wrote: "A lot of competitors"

Amusing. I'd like to see those competitors that are able to deliver what nexus does, at the same quality of service.

Yeah. Block off Internet site access for only paying customers! (Paying by viewing ads or paying a subscription fee) Great idea! That goes against the very backbone of some of the reasons Nexus started in the first place.
I have AdBlock disabled for Nexus for now, any troubles yet again and it'll be activated in a heartbeat. I've done this a few times. On and off depending on if they've fixed the problems. And they have every time, but they seem destined to reappear, for reasons stated in this very article. When(if) they do I temporarily enable AdBlock and get in touch with the devs. EasyPeasy.
But blocking AdBlockers from using the site at all? Yeah.... That'll make them lose a lot of people, making ads worth even less since thy ALSO count in how popular the site is in their bidding. And AdBlock or not, page counts are valuable.

So no, blocking AdBlockers is NOT the way to go, which anyone with even HALF a brain understands fast.

In response to post #45827720.

janishewski wrote: I'll never understand what it is about online ads that make people so angry? I've been using Nexus for a very long time and the ads have never bothered me, they've never interfered with my use of the site, and I know that they are generating the money that keeps the site we all use and love going. It's too bad ad blockers can't be detected so that people that use them can be banned from using web sites offering them free services in exchange for literally nothing but a bit of screen space that can be ignored.
EDIT: You might want to push that subscription a little more. I understand you don't want to get too into peoples faces about it, but I didn't even remember it until I read this article.

They can be detected, but blocking people who use adblockers would be worse for the site.

In response to post #45827720. #45849115 is also a reply to the same post.

janishewski wrote: I'll never understand what it is about online ads that make people so angry? I've been using Nexus for a very long time and the ads have never bothered me, they've never interfered with my use of the site, and I know that they are generating the money that keeps the site we all use and love going. It's too bad ad blockers can't be detected so that people that use them can be banned from using web sites offering them free services in exchange for literally nothing but a bit of screen space that can be ignored.
Portaller wrote: They can be detected, but blocking people who use adblockers would be worse for the site.

On Nexus, I've never had a problem with ads. On other sites, I most certainly have. One mod site I tried to use for a game that, sadly, did not have a presence on Nexus would visibly load slower. Hitting the next page button would take 3-5 seconds to load the page and when you're talking about flipping through literally hundreds of pages, the time ads up.

Some ads can also be dangerous. Again, it isn't really a problem here on Nexus because the site owners are super awesome about how they implement ads, but some sites will have pop ads where you could inadvertently click on them. Sometimes this is also with fake close buttons that actually redirect you to a malicious website.

With the right tools, website owners can detect ads. Some websites take efforts to block people using ad block, others don't. Unfortunately, I find that the worst offenders when it comes to malicious ads are often the ones blocking people using ad block.

You're a supporter and it doesn't sound like you use adblock so you probably don't see that if you do use adblock, the regions for advertisments get replaced with messages about paying the 2$ to have them removed.

In response to post #45827720. #45849115 is also a reply to the same post.

Portaller wrote: They can be detected, but blocking people who use adblockers would be worse for the site.

On Nexus, I've never had a problem with ads. On other sites, I most certainly have. One mod site I tried to use for a game that, sadly, did not have a presence on Nexus would visibly load slower. Hitting the next page button would take 3-5 seconds to load the page and when you're talking about flipping through literally hundreds of pages, the time ads up.

Some ads can also be dangerous. Again, it isn't really a problem here on Nexus because the site owners are super awesome about how they implement ads, but some sites will have pop ads where you could inadvertently click on them. Sometimes this is also with fake close buttons that actually redirect you to a malicious website.

With the right tools, website owners can detect ads. Some websites take efforts to block people using ad block, others don't. Unfortunately, I find that the worst offenders when it comes to malicious ads are often the ones blocking people using ad block.

You're a supporter and it doesn't sound like you use adblock so you probably don't see that if you do use adblock, the regions for advertisments get replaced with messages about paying the 2$ to have them removed.

Yeah sites that dont penalize me for using adblock like the nexus are often the ones i turn ads on for.

In response to post #45900470.

WNxOdy wrote: Nexus Mods wouldn't cease to exist with adblocker, nothing would be affected lol. You guys need to relax about that.

Yea man, you tell them. Obviously the well written and documented article you (probably didn't) read is not really having an effect on your mind.