Sorry to see more great mods removed

damanding

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a filthy Casual if you will, but why not add some code that corrupts ps4 and xbox saves vs leaving the modding scene or even have a tutorial put out there on how to do this?

Because we're not petty, ignorant and don't have childish superiority complexes regarding those with different hardware.

Even NMM downloaded mods go into an easy to find folder. I use it as a folder for easy retrieval.

Yes but if you're anything like me, you regularly install, uninstall, start new games, try new things and it's too easy to forget to backup a mod that you're uninstalling. :D By saving all mods to a separate location first I don't have to remember to back it up later.

downloaded files and the virtual install folder arent related.. So even a clean install will NOT delete the original zip files unless you delete them.....Even so i have a backup folder on another drive as well where i keep all mods and my own.

Call me a filthy Casual if you will, but why not add some code that corrupts ps4 and xbox saves vs leaving the modding scene or even have a tutorial put out there on how to do this?

Because we're not petty, ignorant and don't have childish superiority complexes regarding those with different hardware.

maybe so but you missed his point... We are talking files that WERE NOT intended for those consoles ...In other words...you steal...you pay the price...

Doesn't matter. First, you cannot add any protection that is not going to be easily removed, and nobody is going to build their mod around a anti-theft method. Second, even if you add some method of protection, the thief can still take your mod and publish it somewhere else.

maybe so but you missed his point... We are talking files that WERE NOT intended for those consoles ...In other words...you steal...you pay the price...

You really think that the most effective way of dealing with this issue is to implement code that will indiscriminately target the saves of all users of the (stolen) mod, even though the majority of them likely don't know that it's stolen in the first place? (unless the uploader is vindictive and openly flaunts the fact)

Bravo, you've just created a whole lot of anger in console users who were not aware that the mod they wanted to use was stolen, and now have a reason to look at mod authors with distrust; you've also succeeded in turning allies into enemies... Your little DRM plan backfires, and no one is any better off + the problem persists.

Potentially, you've also created more mod thieves who now feel justified in uploading stolen mods.

Btw, I didn't miss teluge's point, I ignored it completely as it does nothing but make the situation worse. It's this kind of reactionary ill-concieved barely thought-out response that fuels the fire of those narrow minded/ignorant p.c. and console users banging on about pc masterrace and pc elitist nonsense.

In summary, this idea/suggestion does not help. At all.

What is there about wanting compensation / payment for the hard work we do when creating mods that suddenly makes it "wrong", but when we develop other software / textures / art and sell that outside of the mod community, that is "good"?

Again, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be rewarded for what you do. "If you're modding to make money, you're doing it wrong" is really not that difficult of a statement to grasp. It merely means that if your only motivation for creating mods is to make money, you probably shouldn't bother. That's not what a modding community is about. As I mentioned before, a system where the modding sites reward authors or even a donation button/page is more than reasonable and sufficient. Of course, this is assuming Bethesda even allows it.

And why shouldn't a mod author "bother" to make paid mods? You first state that there is "nothing inherently wrong" with wanting to be compensated for the work that you do, then in the next two sentences you literally say that it is inherently wrong to create paid mods because "that's not what a modding community is about". And as for you saying what a modding community is about? You don't get to tell anyone what modding is and is not. They get to define that for themselves, because they are the ones creating the content.

So, which is it? You can't have it both ways. You can't split hairs and say that one method of compensation is good (donation button) and another is not (paid mods) without explaining why one is somehow better than the other. And once you do that, you need to then explain why game developers, both large and indie, don't have to abide by that same logic.

Here's the thing about donation buttons: No one uses them. I've been modding for 10+ years, created mods with hundreds of thousands of downloads, and I can still count the number of donations I've received on one hand. And those donations amount, in total, to less than the cost of a good lunch.

Edited by Reneer