⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Sorry to see more great mods removed

damanding

Paid mods might be great for someone like myself.
I release my main mod now and very few people care (not complaining, just making a point).
I release my mod, that has an hour or so of content (though, admittedly, a good bit sloppy still), for free when others are charging $2-3 for the equivalent? It has a good chance of gaining a following as the "Free Alternative".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the sarcasm and appreciate it but, I'm talking about the potential (and I'm only saying potential because we won't know until it's allowed) For bigger projects and spin offs with real payed voice acting and so on.

Things like that will never happen without MONEY getting involved.

Sure maybe it will be an epic fail but, I sure would like to be given the opportunity to try to do something more!

I get the sarcasm and appreciate it but, I'm talking about the potential (and I'm only saying potential because we won't know until it's allowed) For bigger projects and spin offs with real payed voice acting and so on.

Things like that will never happen without MONEY getting involved.

Sure maybe it will be an epic fail but, I sure would like to be given the opportunity to try to do something more!

Me?

No, I was being completely honest.

Edit: I have a sneaking suspicion that I might soon be feeling offended...holding off though for a bit.

Chucksteel we are complete opposite in our thinking, I honestly don't understand how you think money will make mods any better, the only reason why mods are so great right now is because of open resources and open information/tutorials, if money gets involved then people become competitors and instead of sharing freely they will hoard and keep things to themselves because wherever money goes...greed follows.

And paid mods will most certainly not create 'teams' of modders who will make total conversations of the games like you imagine, those people still have real lives and real jobs and modding will always be in second place to that so when push comes to shove they will always choose real life priorities over modding.

Before you can even make a total conversion you need to use assets from many other modders (like new meshes/textures/etc.) which right now is hard enough as it is with all the permissions, now can you imagine how IMPOSSIBLE this would be if you need to keep track to how much % of cash needs to go to what person in case paid mods were a thing?

I can already see the drama unfold and these 'teams' that you so dream of will fail before they even get a chance to mod anything, unless of course they create all their assets on their own and spend several years building a mod, and as I explained above this is unrealistic because real life always has a way of nipping people in the butt.

So as much as you want to believe money will make mods better, I 100% disagree.

The basis of modding is the free distribution of knowledge and assets, how on Earth do you think money and greed will have any benefit in that?

(I'm done talking about this subject now because I honestly believe some folks here are just delusional and they rather build pink fluffy castles in the clouds. /Ac3s out.)

Edited by Guest

I wasn't trying to offend you at all!

I took it as you were just saying if people charged for mods and yours was free it would become very popular really fast! :tongue:

And I'll I was saying in my last two posts is that some of us see a different potential with payed mods then just making a few pennies. I see a possibility of large funded project that can rival and Bethesda official DLC!

@Ac3s,

I never said it would be easy, I never said things wouldn't change. Yes some people will stop sharing information to try to be on top but, we already see that with free mods.

One really high quality DLC sized project that did really well on the Xbox could possibly support a small team of modders long enough to get the next project finished.

Your also not thinking about the fact that Bethesda will also be profiting on these mods which give them incentive to actually support the modders by sharing information they have withheld. (They have to have some internal Manual for the tools for example)

I've also said it may all be an EPIC FAIL but, why shouldn't I be given the opportunity to try? Is it just because you don't like the idea of mods not being free? I never said all mod had to be pay to play, I want to try to do bigger things. Things that would take money, I see it as possible, You don't that's fine.

and just an FYI, when we were developing "A Tale of Two Wastelands" Everyone on the team had ether a full time job or, were in school full time and many if not all of us were also putting in 30 hours a week on the project after our real life stuff was done.

That little project had no possibility of profit and we all still happily worked on it until it was done.

Since when was this a discussion about paid mods? ÃÃÃÂ Looks like some folk don't even give a toss about modders packing-up or taking their mods down...

Modders taking their stuff down? Well within the realm of acceptable.

My only other opinion on the matter? It totally serves them for the better to state why they took them down. Vagueness or lack of informaction do nothing for them except to build ill will towards them.

Point is, they should do what they please...while keeping in mind that by not stating the reasoning behind their actions they may be hurting themselves as opposed to fighting/bowing for/to some (personal or not) cause.

Edit: Desperately tried to work "behoove" in there somewhere... =P