⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Sorry to see more great mods removed

damanding

You don't get to tell anyone what modding is and is not. They get to define that for themselves, because they are the ones creating the content.

It turns into an addon once someone pays for it - apart from a voluntary donation. With all strings attached. Once there's a price tag on content, it turns into a product and they are entitled to a product that integrates smoothly. No bugs, no conflicts with other (paid?) mods, let alone official DLCs.

Sure you might get away with selling faulty stuff once. But the internet will make sure that people give you a wide berth in the future. Apart from all kinds of legal stuff being involved. Not least of all the game company giving you permission to alter their content, which, in the case of paid content, certainly doesn't come as a freebie.

And if you create just something like the infamous horse armor of days gone by, people will ask themselves why they should pay for something like that.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It turns into an addon once someone pays for it - apart from a voluntary donation. With all strings attached. Once there's a price tag on content, it turns into a product and they are entitled to a product that integrates smoothly. No bugs, no conflicts with other (paid?) mods, let alone official DLCs.

Spoken like someone who has little experience developing a piece of software. Not to mention a complete double standard. You ostensibly play Bethesda games which are one of the more bug-riddled pieces of software released by a AAA game developer. And there is no way in hell any mod author or game developer can guarantee no bugs or no conflicts. Anyone who says that they can guarantee those things is talking out of their ass.

Sure you might get away with selling faulty stuff once. But the internet will make sure that people give you a wide berth in the future. Apart from all kinds of legal stuff being involved. Not least of all the game company giving you permission to alter their content, which, in the case of paid content, certainly doesn't come as a freebie.

Last I checked Bethesda both gives mod authors permission to alter their game and would have allowed mod authors to sell their work (and Bethesda would have gotten a cut of the profit). And the Creation Kit was and is still free.

Edited by Reneer

I think you guys are taking this discussion way too far, mod authors can do with their own mods whatever they want.

Though personally I would never pull down my mods because I spend so much time on them, not to mention other people helped me along the way so its not 100% my own work even though I have all the "rights" on it, it just wouldn't feel right to do such a selfish act and turn my back to those that helped me progress.

Even if my mods got stolen and uploaded somewhere else, I'd be upset for sure but this is the internet after all, so one should be prepared for this to happen and not go nuclear when it does.

Though stealing mods to get money from it is a completely different story, and this is why I hope "paid mods" never become a thing because without proper policing its going to absolutely destroy the modding community, the quality and quantity of mods are going to plummet leaving nothing but an empty shell in its place.

And yes donations are nothing for 99% of mod authors, unless you have a popular mod like "The Unofficial Patches" that literally everyone uses, only that top 1% gets all the $$$.

For gods sake let them look at mod authors with distrust i mean do you download everything and anything willy nilly? If so what the hell is wrong with you? All it means is that they should verify the sources they get their mods from and not be a part of the problem but a part of the solution. pc master race and console peasants s#*! be damned, no one has time for that kinda mentality and if you do, get a life. Stealing though, is wrong. Do it in rl go to jail do it online? get a virus. Big woop. bought stolen good from someone in rl? Go to jail. Bought stolen goods from someone online get a virus. And would they distrust the mod author or the pirate who uploaded the mod authors content? if thieving stopped more mods would get released to console by mod authors. But again why listen to me on this, this modding community has been around for about 10 years, everything for the most part has gone hunky dory in that time till console users without any prior knowledge joined the ranks. Sit down shut up and get educated. As for the rest, protect your stuff or jut quit it's your option really The rest of us will try to pick up the slack. As for the paid mods, I'm very active on Patreon and would totally be down to support some of my favorite mod authors on it especially since that would drive them to update more and leave less frequently.

I think you guys are taking this discussion way too far, mod authors can do with their own mods whatever they want.

Though personally I would never pull down my mods because I spend so much time on them, not to mention other people helped me along the way so its not 100% my own work even though I have all the "rights" on it, it just wouldn't feel right to do such a selfish act and turn my back to those that helped me progress.

That's why I download the mods and save them on my HD. Because what I got can't be taken away from me. Even if the mod author wails and stomps on the ground. I want to use the mod? I use the mod.

Thanks for not being such a person.

Just to finish up. Of cause peopled deserve to get paid for their hard work, but then i'd expect 24/7 hotline, money back guarantee, and regular updates, like i get with almost any other thing i buy online. But In a world where people can pull their mods in a instant,without repercussions, i am NOT sure i am willing to that kind of commitment.

Also, there are only about a handful of mods i would actually consider paying for, Ethreons Master plan mod is one of them

Here's the thing about donation buttons: No one uses them. I've been modding for 10+ years, created mods with hundreds of thousands of downloads, and I can still count the number of donations I've received on one hand. And those donations amount, in total, to less than the cost of a good lunch.

See my PREMIUM icon on the left ? Donated by a user. And that's a LIFETIME PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP. Meaning someone found my work worthy of their hard-earned 45$. I also never turned on my donation button because I don't want to be paid for my mods.

And I don't know how this thread managed to go off topic by getting into the paid mods topic.

A mod with a price tag is not a mod anymore, it's a product. Then the one who created such product is no longer entitled to "Oh, I'm sorry guys. My grandma died and I have to take 3 eternities to recover. Update will come in 2067". It means that once your work is a product, you are expected to respect your customers and you are expected to ditch out constant support and troubleshooting. No matter how rude a customer is or how annoying and stupid they are, you no longer have a right to just ban someone if they're rude.

Does that sound like fun to you ? The minute you make a product with a price tag, the customers own you. THEY... OWN... YOU! The customer is always right.

If the day ever comes when paid mods become a thing, I'm quitting modding. And I'm pretty sure there won't be any modding left at all anymore. Except the little "mod authors" who think that changing a name for a creature is worth 0.5$.

Bethesda games are average at best with a cost around 40-60$ at launch, plus another 25$ for a Season Pass. I have no intention on paying 85$ total and on top of that, pay another 1-2$ per "mod".

to sell their work (and Bethesda would have gotten a cut of the profit).

Which is the operative word here.

Bethesda games are average at best with a cost around 40-60$ at launch, plus another 25$ for a Season Pass. I have no intention on paying 85$ total and on top of that, pay another 1-2$ per "mod".

Hear, Hear.

I never bought them at release for that exact reason. Beth games just aren't worth 65 bucks.

Your whole post pretty much hits the mark.

A mod with a price tag is not a mod anymore, it's a product. Then the one who created such product is no longer entitled to "Oh, I'm sorry guys. My grandma died and I have to take 3 eternities to recover. Update will come in 2067". It means that once your work is a product, you are expected to respect your customers and you are expected to ditch out constant support and troubleshooting. No matter how rude a customer is or how annoying and stupid they are, you no longer have a right to just ban someone if they're rude.

Does that sound like fun to you ? The minute you make a product with a price tag, the customers own you. THEY... OWN... YOU! The customer is always right.

It's rather clear that you don't seem to fully grasp the relationship between customer and content producer. Companies are free to refuse service to anyone, so long as the reason for that refusal of service is not deemed discrimination against a protected class. Further, companies are not required, in any way, to continually update or offer continual support for a product at all. You don't see Bethesda offering patches and updates to the original Skyrim (the last patch was released in March 2013) despite there still being bugs in the game.

If a customer is rude and/or stupid, a company can ban them from their products and services. Amazon does it. Delta Airlines does it. Shopping malls do it. And so do game developers. So, no, customers do not "own" a company simply because they buy products or services the company produces. Nor would mod users "own" mod authors who create paid mods. The customer is not always right.

Edited by Reneer

Proper EULA solves all you´ve mentioned. Try reading EULA for some games, you´d be surprised.