[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

Me? I'm chilling out. My collection of 3:1 scale plastic models of the 9 Divines Shrines positioned on my PC desk keeps me going. I get stressed I just touch a shrine, it glows and I feel better straight away. Good for curing colds, too. I'm sure the old bag next door is one of the Thalmor, though....

More seriously, I'm as keen as anyone for SKSE 64 but I'd rather the SKSE team took their time and released work they can be proud of than rushed code. I'm sure they will release a tub-thumpingly good beta when they are ready, and my sincere thanks to Behippo and team for their on-going voluntary work.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to stay out this conversation. But, my thoughts are this. If you have someone volunteering to do anything that requires a great deal of effort and not get paid for this, then I suggest keep quiet about the progress they're making. Or, we just might be in the situation where no one is working on SKSE 64. We'll have when we have it. And we do have it, we'll most likely enjoy the benefits from it.

I've been wanting to stay out this conversation. But, my thoughts are this. If you have someone volunteering to do anything that requires a great deal of effort and not get paid for this, then I suggest keep quiet about the progress they're making. Or, we just might be in the situation where no one is working on SKSE 64. We'll have when we have it. And we do have it, we'll most likely enjoy the benefits from it.

A perfectly valid and understandable stance, one which I agree with. That said, I like getting a progress update every month or so (more if they want to be generous) saying what's done and what still needs to be completed. I like to think of myself as patient, or at the very least capable of expressing my impatience in private without whining in the forums. As it is I haven't seen any kind of progress update since that one video in December, and I'm kind of worried. All the sites I've seen have said "Mid-March" for a beta. Mid-March is almost over (if you count "Mid-March" as the 10th day of a month to the 19th) and still no sign from the devs. If it's delayed that's fine, but it would be nice to know what's going on.

The number of people saying to stop asking about development progress and a community update is more than the number of people actually asking it.

It is normal that we ask what's the latest situation with the SKSE64 development guys, we all wonder why there is no news yet, but we do not rush anybody or complain in the process.

Cheers.

Edited by SanguinBlack

I'm not trying to undercut your point, though; there are some folks that either don't realize or don't care that software development takes a long time to make, even something as relatively "simple" as a script extender. I'm just pretty pedantic and can't seem to let even minor points go.

And as a professional developer who deals with the vagaries of estimates every day, it is very frustrating to see people who don't do development get picky about a rough estimate given three months ago, about when a beta might be ready.

You do realize that when I said "minor points", I meant what I said in that post (the length of time of 3d printing and the motivations and attitudes of trolls), not the ETA about SKSE64, right? I was just making very minor corrections on Namelessnobody's post advising people to not be so impatient.

Please calm down, no one's trying to rush them in this thread. We all get that it'll probably be a while until they can release the beta (and for what it's worth, they said that the beta would be as feature-complete as the full version; at most the only difference I'd expect after reading that was a few bugs being fixed, some minor and some moderate. But as you said, it's just a beta, not the complete version of SKSE64.), and frankly, getting mad at anyone who asks about the release date does as much as those asking in the first place; nothing.

Well here is some food for thought. As I understand it, SKSE64 has to be recajigured every update because the addresses in memory shift. So since there have been 2 updates (1.3,1.4) to the exe since SKSE64 team said anything in DEC that's like 2 restarts people! Give them a break.

@Atrican: +1 Agreed. Most people on this thread understand & agree with you I'm sure.

If I recall correctly, I believe the SKSE team stated they would be working closely to get out SkyUI, since the original author did not want to be at the forefront of putting that out. I for one would prefer to see SKSE released with that done. That said, can anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find where I read that, but I think I'm right about that. Can anyone confirm this? Would be nice to get back on topic.