Operating System

OK, Windows XP isn't powerful enough because it only supports DX9.0c and I don't think it will be long before new programs stop supporting XP

Windows Vista is... well let's not go there, you know what I am talking about :tongue: (no offense to those who like Vista, I just personally do not like it :smile:).

So that means my choice is basically Windows 7 (x64).

I will not take Home Premium or Starter.

Which version of Windows 7 is better for gaming, Professional or Ultimate?

If pro is all I need, then I will pick that and save some cash, if Ultimate is significantly better, then I will spend the extra money.

What do you think?

Edited by ChuckFinly

XP I know has support until 2014. But, yeah, only DX9.

Here's a little comparison chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Starter is mostly for netbooks and cheap laptops. You can't change the background (wtf) and there's a lot of other things about it that is just lame. Home Premium is nice but it only has support until 2015. Professional is really the same as Home Premium, except with XP mode (pointless) and support until 2020.

I dunno, I'd take Professional just for the support (updates and whatnot). Windows 8 will probably be coming out at the end of the year, but really, how many people are going to get that? If the cycle remains true, Windows 8 is going to be pretty bad. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 9 or whatever it may be called comes out. That's what I did with XP when Vista came out :P

I didn't find the need for anything more than windows 7 premium on my laptop. The windows xp compatibility mode of higher win7 versions hardly do anything extra that premium won't already do (I have been fine playing games from late 90's and early 2000's on windows 7 premium if that is your concern). I suppose if you plan on going over 16gb ram than you should get the next step up over premium. My laptop has 8gb ram and 4gb video ram (crossfire 2gb 6970m's) and I have not ever thought 'dang, wish I went with professional'. If you really wish to spend the extra money you can, but I am sure it could be spent better on hardware. You could get a solid state or solid state hybrid hard drive which will give you better read/write times. If you go full solid state you also get faster start-up times if you have your OS installed on it. The choice is yours but your OS will do little to nothing for performance (unless you have xp64 on a nearly process free desktop :tongue: ).

I know solid state drives are not $20 :laugh: . I didn't realize that pro was only $20 more. How long as that been going on for? If its hardly any more money than I would go for it :sweat: .

i pulled that number off my head....upon further research. its a $40 difference....a little more, but still no SSD and no reason not to get Pro.

For some reason I remember something ridiculous like a $100 difference. I know see that its not nearly that much (maybe it never was to begin with :sweat: ). Had it of been a $100 difference it would be a smarter investment to put an additional $100-$175 into a 128gb SSD and go with premium, but since its not that much of a difference it would be better just to get windows 7 pro. For $40 more than a regular hard drive you can get a solid state hybrid drive, but the only way it would make sense to buy the hard drive would be if he was building a new computer and didn't already have one :tongue:.