faction wepons

coolphoton1234

as i have been building up my settlements recently, I have been having a hard time upgrading my guards weapons. not because I don't have the weapons or the resources, but because there are so few thematic upgrades. I'm playing with AE2 and I would love some input on what weapons match what factions.

As an example

The MM:1918 BAR (Provisoners), M1 Grand, the M 14 (Guards), the Colt 1911, Remington 1858, and fully modified pipe auto rifles(Civilians), as well as the laser musket, revolutionary sword, and the Gauss rifle (named or leader NPCs)

BOS: Mini-gun, Gatling laser (Guards), standard laser, Desert Eagle, and vanilla revolver (Civilians),Automatic Plasma Rifles (Provisoners), supersledge, M79 Grenade Launcher(Leaders)

Institute: Institute laser, stun baton(Civilians), Simi-Automatic Plasma Rifles,Plasma Sword, AS Vektor (Guards, Provisoners), CROSS PlasRail, Buzz Axe (Leader/Named)

Railroad: Silenced pistols,Crossbow, (Civilians) Railway Rifle(Leader), Gaussrifle, Hunting Rifle(Guard)AS Vektor (Provisoners)

harbor men: harpoon gun, lever action rifle

CotA: M54 Gatling Rifle firing depleted uranium rounds (named or leader NPCs), gamma gun, small melee{knives} (Civilians), radium rifle, MK14 EBR, large blunt melee{Super sledge, sledge hammer} (Guards)

as I generally have at least 5 guards at each settlement plus the provisoners I would really love some variety that matches the faction theam.

EDIT: As an aside, I will be updating this as my game-play progresses and I get input.

Edited by coolphoton1234

As the MM are basically recruited commonwealth citizens, they would use whatever they could find.

...the last time I tried that I wound up with farmers better armed than the guards.

Than go with pistol or smg / shotgun for your farmers and AK / musket for the guards.

I get that the Minutemen are inspired by their historical counterparts, but I think the analogy can sometimes be taken too far (particularly by Bethesda).

The laser musket strikes me as a very eccentric weapon (both in appearance and performance). It's basically the pipe-gun equivalent to a laser gun. The thing to remember is that the historical Minutemen did not use muskets for symbolic reasons but because that was the standard weapon of the day. The equivalent in today's world would be a basic semi-auto rifle, something like an off-the-shelf Colt AR-15. If Fallout 4 happened tomorrow for real, that's the weapon that real-life militias in the US would be arming themselves with.

So in terms of the game, I would say the vanilla Combat Rifle is the most thematically realistic weapon. The Assault Rifle looks a bit too militaristic and bulky, by comparison, while the Handmade Rifle is too 'gangster'. You could supplement this with Combat Shotguns and Double-Barrel Shotguns (if the latter, maybe download Hallgarth's Shotguns mod, which adds a Triple-Barrel Shotgun).

As for Gauss Rifle, it feels a bit too high-end for the average Minuteman guard, though maybe Preson and Ronnie Shaw might use it to show their higher status.

Edited by crawe1x

I get that the Minutemen are inspired by their historical counterparts, but I think the analogy can sometimes be taken too far (particularly by Bethesda).

The laser musket strikes me as a very eccentric weapon (both in appearance and performance). It's basically the pipe-gun equivalent to a laser gun. The thing to remember is that the historical Minutemen did not use muskets for symbolic reasons but because that was the standard weapon of the day. The equivalent in today's world would be a basic semi-auto rifle, something like an off-the-shelf Colt AR-15. If Fallout 4 happened tomorrow for real, that's the weapon that real-life militias in the US would be arming themselves with.

So in terms of the game, I would say the vanilla Combat Rifle is the most thematically realistic weapon. The Assault Rifle looks a bit too militaristic and bulky, by comparison, while the Handmade Rifle is too 'gangster'. You could supplement this with Combat Shotguns and Double-Barrel Shotguns (if the latter, maybe download Hallgarth's Shotguns mod, which adds a Triple-Barrel Shotgun).

As for Gauss Rifle, it feels a bit too high-end for the average Minuteman guard, though maybe Preson and Ronnie Shaw might use it to show their higher status.

This is basically what I came up with myself. Its just that combat rifles feel very generic.

@coolphoton1234

this is a great topic, especially for the lore tangents and exegesis of the aesthetics folks think each faction looks like

and I shared your pain...

there wasn't many options, until I found mods such as;

anymod any weapon.

the pipe weapons overhaul,

the forgotten-weapons/royalnonesuch conversion project,

the joergsprave project

WARS modern weapon pack

madmax bitzpack

dakkadakka shootaz pack

the MIB weapons pack

the Buck Rogers (pulpy now) weapons pack

the Perry Rhodan mit das deutsche-kateers weapons pack.

the mk22 50cal weapon

the restored pipe-shotgun concept pack.

the shivs and bayonets weapon pack

these allow you to mix and match as you like it!

come up with combinations as you like them -

eventually, these mods will be standardized, allowing users to share the hexadecimal recipe

so as other folks can alter their loot lists etc.

alienfusionblaster4.png

above: Goodman's Grue-Bleen Blaster... a plasma/lazer minigun that weighs 3.5 lbs.

very accurate, great with rechargable energy cell or a fusion core.

halfdozen6.png

Above: the baker's dozen.

this can be charged with a recharging cell, or over-charged with the Fusion Core for 30seconds of 'infinite ammo' -

but, be careful, this gun kicks like a mule on rapid-fire-mode and collateral damage is a high chance!

an excellent lightsource in dark places too, if you fully charge the blaster, it reflects a nice red glow brighter than

the pipboy, with no stealth penalty!

not shown; a heavy MIB blaster converted into a minigun,

an MIB-borschaadt.

noisy cricket with suppressor barrel.

a rusty derringer + oversized scope + elongated barrel to form a 'midget sniper"

harmonica pipe rifle,

roller-blade slingshot mod,

dart launcher

any weapon + lead-pencil 'shiv' bayonet...

-----

The Institute and Rail-road need MIB pulp-sci-fi weapons, more dieselpunk/steampunk 'tech' too.

the Enclave, gunners and BoS have 'black rifle' and nasty-looking military high end stuff.

the atom cats have a lot of different junk.

the civilian militias would have a lot more distressed stuff and kitbashed - they can't afford the high-cap stuff, so they use moon-clip and speed loaders and kitbashes and work arounds.

The MinuteMen would initially be equipped with pipe-rifles of a generally higher quality,

heavy pipe rifles made from car exhausts and tac-welded stuff. 'pipe stubba emplacements' -

traps and improvised destructive devices.

perhaps some donated or scavenged stuff.

militarily, they are 'counter-punchers' ; they scout lightly and hit-and-fade, preferring to

lure adversaries into trapped areas or within range of their gun emplacements and mortar bombardments.

The Children of Atom are much less armed. being 90% ghoulified, they are practically glowing with harmful Rads,

which serve as a natural deterrent to most of the other things in the wasteland, and, a protection from most of the other things in the wasteland.

They have simple melee weapons, pistols, nuka-grenades and fatman's.

they are the closest to a pacifist faction in FO games - in FO3, megaton was just wanting to be left alone...

they don't really need much more weaponry, when they are living weapons hehe.

-----

I look forward to seeing what mod weapons or design combos you come up with, coolphoton1234

you can make a modded weapon, and generate duplicated instances of that,

to arm your settlement with all the same kind of modded sidearm.

• 1 month later...

So as an update I have settled on WW1 & 2 and Korean war era heavy production US military weapons: the 1918 BAR (Provisoners), M1 Grand, the M 14 (Guards), and the Colt 1911(Civillians), as well as the laser musket and the Gauss rifle (named or leader NPCs) for the MM.

I would still love more input.

Edited by coolphoton1234

This is basically what I came up with myself. Its just that combat rifles feel very generic.

I think that's the point, the Minuteman are supposed to be the generic faction.

I always equip my minutemen with standard assault rifles(NOT the vanilla, that is banished whenever I see it in my settlements), mostly semi-auto. Stuff that could have been raided from an old armory though I would give them stuff from a mod and not the base game to set them apart still. Settlers would just keep whatever they had on them, maybe I would throw a few shotguns in the mix.

Then the Gunners, were I able to equip them would have much the same but automatic with more tacticool attachments.

Regarding energy weapons for the Institute I was disappointed in the base game's selection and I haven't really seen any mods yet that spoke to me. For the Children of Atom I never liked the whole gamma gun thing, that just seemed going thematically overboard like the above poster said about the laser musket and I would give them mostly melee weapons. Harbor men I might give more hunting rifles and shotguns since they would mostly have been limited to their island. Again the harpoon gun is too much. Railroad I would give handguns and SMGs(mod ones), the railway rifle is just plain idiotic. For the Brotherhood until I find some more palatable energy weapons I would give them mostly guass cannons.

Giving the Minutemen older standard issue weapons isn't a bad idea though, especially if you assume that all the modern military stockpiles would have been cleaned out or claimed by a major faction long ago.