MDB to FBX, FBX to MDB converter

FreshLook

That would be a major help for NWN2 modding, whether the tool has a GUI or not. Even a command line with a single parameter will be useful!

The main thing to keep in mind though is that some creatures use up to three skeletons (body, wings and tail for example, and this applies to PC and NPC : body, head and cloak are three separate gr2 skel files [namely, p_hh?_skel, p_hh?_skel01 and p_hh?_capewing for the human characters])

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When dragging multiple files onto a console app, each file name is passed as an argument. So, dragging 6 files results in calling the app with 6 arguments. When converting MDB/GR2 to FBX I see two possible behaviors of the tool:

1. Convert each file to FBX: the result is one FBX for each input file.
  2. Convert all files together to a single FBX: the result is just one FBX that contains all input files.

Which of the two behaviors would you expect? Currently the tool behaves as the second one and there is a reason for this: in order for a mesh to be linked to a skeleton and a skeleton to be linked to an animation they must be stored in the same FBX. NWN2 can link meshes to skeletons and skeletons to animations that are stored in different files, but FBX doesn't work that way.

Because a single FBX can contain meshes, skeletons and animations, when converting a FBX to MDB/GR2 the tool can generate as many MDB/GR2 as the FBX contains.

The main thing to keep in mind though is that some creatures use up to three skeletons

Which of the two behaviors would you expect? Currently the tool behaves as the second one and there is a reason for this: in order for a mesh to be linked to a skeleton and a skeleton to be linked to an animation they must be stored in the same FBX. NWN2 can link meshes to skeletons and skeletons to animations that are stored in different files.

Each gr2 file contains one animation, but includes all the creature's skeletons. The only exception is the *_skel.gr2 : these are not animations files, but the skeleton itself (so one for the body, one for the head, one for the wings, etc. By the way, remember that each skeleton cannot have more than 54 bones, and each creature cannot have more than three skeletons).

I would then prefer the second option.

Hi.

I'm really interested in this. Am really eager to see it all come together.

I am having trouble trying it out as I cannot seem to get the project to compile. Got the files from your github, yaml and CMake but after several hours of trying and failing, I am at my wits end.

Is it possible to provide the compiled version for us to play around with?

Thanks.

Hi.

I'm really interested in this. Am really eager to see it all come together.

I am having trouble trying it out as I cannot seem to get the project to compile. Got the files from your github, yaml and CMake but after several hours of trying and failing, I am at my wits end.

Is it possible to provide the compiled version for us to play around with?

Thanks.

I think Freshlook is attempting to get FBX > GR2 conversion completed then will release a binary for us.

*whistles and waits*