NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #47388365. #47388860 is also a reply to the same post.

Moksha8088 wrote: Being newcomer friendly and intuitive for the interface seems a sure winner. If it is equal to or even easier than NMM, then thumbs up. Otherwise, it simply extends the life of the current NMM.

I imagine thinking in terms of "ease of use" does not come easily to power users who seldom have a WTF moment trying to figure the basics out. If a written or pictorial PDF of Mod Management for Dummies is needed, then make sure you release it concurrently.
KunoMochi wrote: Heh, I'm more interested in the fact that it'll be easier to add games support to it. People won't have to wait for the next update of NMM anymore, they can quite possibly make it themselves with little coding knowledge. :)

Not only that but the new NMM could quite possibly be a framework for other things as time progresses.

I may be a bit optimistic but we'll just have to see in the future.

They have to try and abstract themselves from their knowledge and imagine "journeys" through the app ("a new user that never installed a mod opens the app and then..."; "an experienced user wants to edit an ini file so..."; "how can a novice user run Loot seamlessly without any second guessing what is going on..." etc). There are really good exercises to "push" the way you think into those "journeys" so that you can try and see the project you're working on through their eyes. It can be a bit challenging and daunting at first but done right it's also fun and can make a team realize something about their app that they've never thought of before :- )

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #47383425. #47385720 is also a reply to the same post.

Gambit77 wrote: For a name how about Muse? It works on two levels. One, Muse is short for Mod use. Two, the Nexus community is a source of artistic inspiration.
matortheeternal wrote: It's a decent idea, though I feel like it might be a bit "uppity".

Well compared to most slaves on the planetation, the massas and their ovfficeers consider me pretty uppity

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085, #47381190, #47381300, #47381380, #47381760, #47388285 are all replies on the same post.

ShmooZ wrote: I say name it Nexus Mod Organizer!
Elianora wrote: +1
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: +1
TacticalAce wrote: NMO sounds like MMO when spoken, just saying..
nappilydeestructio wrote: +2
lued123 wrote: +1 because we can call it NeMO.
azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.
So it can't really qualify to be called in a similar way... :)

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).
lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.
opusGlass wrote: +1 the community has already been calling it this anyway

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...
Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

So, consider that name vetoed.
opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?
Dark0ne wrote: As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.
inawe wrote: +1 My thought exactly.

*edit*
Didn't see Dark0ne's answer before posting. Nexus Mod Organizer made the most sense to me. Oh well... as long as it is able to use a virtual file system like MO, I'll use it, regardless of the name.
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: Seriously. This is the only thing that matters to me. While FOMM and NMM's installation method were OK, they were also awful, left (for Bethesda games) the game folder cluttered with files, and made it incredibly difficult to really get a handle on load order and precedence of loose files. Please do not steal from us the only good mod manager that has ever existed and replace it with something that isn't any better than the much older offerings.
Kitchensnk wrote: How Bout

Mod Commander or ModCOM
TinyManticore wrote: Adding +1 anyway for NEMO.

It has community support, it's short, it's memorable, and it's meaningful.

Sublimate your personal bias and pick a name that is the best for your *business* ...

A few people posting +1 does not mean the name has community support. I trust Robin knows best what is and is not good for his business.

In response to post #47383435. #47383915, #47388705 are all replies on the same post.

Gota115 wrote: So, I'm wondering since Tannin is working with you on this mod manager, will there be similar features as Mod Organizer? Virtual DATA folder, profiles, and abillity to run third party programs (FO4Edit, creation kit) on Bethesda games through the mod manager?
lued123 wrote: Dark0ne had this to say in another comment on this thread:
"As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch."

I would be absolutely shocked if it didn't have profiles, since NMM and MO both had that (though MO did it better), and similarly I'd be surprised if it couldn't run at least LOOT.
Gota115 wrote: Honestly I was mostly interested in the virtual data folder Mod Organizer does. So if there's no news on that, so be it.

And Dark0ne (commander in chief here at the Nexus, in case you weren't aware) answered that question to the best of his ability, in that quote, when asked about whether the virtual file system would be present...
Did you just skip my first paragraph entirely?

In response to post #47378620. #47381125, #47382375, #47382860, #47383605, #47383890, #47384455, #47385670, #47386165, #47387535 are all replies on the same post.

lued123 wrote: It's great to hear that things are coming along.
Edit: And might I suggest you call it NEMO? NExus Mod Organizer? It's an appropriate name for a merger of Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, it sounds adorable, and it invokes the same "I'll use two letters if I want to," attitude that USLEEP had before it got ported to the Special Edition.
Edit: Nexus Mod Organizer was vetoed by Dark0ne, so it's probably not happening. Also, please don't reply if all you have to say is "+1". I'd like if this thread was a *bit* less repetitive than that, and I think other users would appreciate it too. Add some commentary in there or something.
mattjus wrote: +1 for NEMO!
Merkcy wrote: I dig NEMO +1
matortheeternal wrote: I really dig NEMO too, the logo could be a clown fish or a submarine, the default color scheme could be blue/orange. The name is also logical and seems to have caught on with the community a lot.

That said, Dark0ne vetoed it in the other comment thread on this article, so I don't think it's going to happen. Though I'm really curious what other name he has in mind. Dark, I think you're going to have to come up with something good quick before the community gets dead-set on NEMO. :)
d0mini wrote: That sounds awesome, very much behind that name.
TinyManticore wrote: +1, NEMO is great and is easy to remember.

If Dark0ne doesn't like it, who cares. Unless he has decades of experience as a brand consultant, you should be asking the community (or a brand consultant).
Megasuxx0r wrote: I just wanted to add that I like that name, too!
Daelda1 wrote: Aww...so NEMO is out. Well...back to the drawing board....
DofD wrote: I dig this!
phellen wrote: N.E.M.O is catchy, but if that's already been ruled out...how about " Nexus Mod Activator (NEMA), or just (NMA).

Nexus Mod Enabler :D

In response to post #47378675. #47379380, #47382975, #47383290 are all replies on the same post.

Loveblanket wrote: Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the new site design and the new NMM (I don't think you have to change the name at all btw, NMM is fine). Please offer a "dark version" of the interface. Looking at that all white screen for hours kills my eyes.
lued123 wrote: They talk about the new platform's "themeability" and under the job requirements they list "A thorough understanding of how a user interface is essential to a smooth user experience."
I assume that means... well... a theme system. If it doesn't ship with a dark theme, it won't be hard to find one.
Loveblanket wrote: Is there one for the current NMM that you know of? That would be awesome.
matortheeternal wrote: The way Electron works is such that all you need is a different CSS stylesheet for themeing the application. It should be pretty easy for them to do (Atom does it).

The current NMM has no themeing system. There is no Dark Theme, sorry Loveblanket. (Current MO has a dark theme though! )

That's a shame. I appreciate the reply. I used MO for a time, but I just prefer NMM. No technical reason, I'm just used to it. Hopefully we will get some lovely dark themes for NMM2 as I probably spend more time modding games than I do playing them. Cheers, guys!

In response to post #47390880.

SpookaXX wrote: I would prefer the name to remain Nexus Mod Manager. Just add 2.0 or a word or something on the end.

Honestly this makes the most sense to me if NMO or NEMO are out. No need to rebrand it, just relaunch it as the next version of the same software.

Thanks for the update, would love to get some kind of communication on where things stand every few weeks if you can. Once this and the new SKSE are out, I can't wait to lose weeks of time to modding out the game again. :D

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085, #47381190, #47381300, #47381380, #47381760, #47388285, #47391065 are all replies on the same post.

ShmooZ wrote: I say name it Nexus Mod Organizer!
Elianora wrote: +1
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: +1
TacticalAce wrote: NMO sounds like MMO when spoken, just saying..
nappilydeestructio wrote: +2
lued123 wrote: +1 because we can call it NeMO.
azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.
So it can't really qualify to be called in a similar way... :)

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).
lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.
opusGlass wrote: +1 the community has already been calling it this anyway

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...
Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

So, consider that name vetoed.
opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?
Dark0ne wrote: As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.
inawe wrote: +1 My thought exactly.

*edit*
Didn't see Dark0ne's answer before posting. Nexus Mod Organizer made the most sense to me. Oh well... as long as it is able to use a virtual file system like MO, I'll use it, regardless of the name.
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: Seriously. This is the only thing that matters to me. While FOMM and NMM's installation method were OK, they were also awful, left (for Bethesda games) the game folder cluttered with files, and made it incredibly difficult to really get a handle on load order and precedence of loose files. Please do not steal from us the only good mod manager that has ever existed and replace it with something that isn't any better than the much older offerings.
Kitchensnk wrote: How Bout

Mod Commander or ModCOM
TinyManticore wrote: Adding +1 anyway for NEMO.

It has community support, it's short, it's memorable, and it's meaningful.

Sublimate your personal bias and pick a name that is the best for your *business* ...
ArtaiosGreybark wrote: A few people posting +1 does not mean the name has community support. I trust Robin knows best what is and is not good for his business.

I have to second the virtual filesystem part... that's the best part of Mod Organizer