NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...

I understand (2nd hand, of course, simply reading the NMM feedback threads) that virtualised folders in NMM haven't worked too well, but it's absolutely one of the core aspects of MO that makes it, from my experience, a preferred mod manager tool (and something that has rarely, if ever broken).

I know you guys aren't look for suggestions in the comments section, but for the love of goodness, please make a "dark" option. That has never been implemented and the long hours people spend modding, it would just be better for our eyes.

We hope that it's being skimmed though, I suppose :)

And +1 for a 'dark' theme, a 'night' mode!

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085 are all replies on the same post.

ShmooZ wrote: I say name it Nexus Mod Organizer!
Elianora wrote: +1
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: +1
TacticalAce wrote: NMO sounds like MMO when spoken, just saying..
nappilydeestructio wrote: +2
lued123 wrote: +1 because we can call it NeMO.
azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.
So it can't really qualify to be called in a similar way... :smile:

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).
lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.
opusGlass wrote: +1 the community has already been calling it this anyway

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...
Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

So, consider that name vetoed.
opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?

As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.

And finally, please. If anything from MO gets retained, the virtual folders at very least as an option would be appreciated.

And so it doesn't just sound like a whingey 'that's the way I like, so don't change' kind of request, there's a really practical reason:

multiple-users

Not everyone in the house has a gaming PC, but everyone in the house has a login on my gaming rig.

End result: everyone plays Skyrim (or FO4, etc etc) on my PC at some point.

Virtualising the mods and keeping the installed game folder 'vanilla' has been an absolute god-send. I dread to think what 3 people, all modding with their own idea of what mods should be installed, would end up doing to a single folder otherwise.

I'd suggest that for quite a number of people (I'm looking at the older crew, I guess, those with kids - who look with envy at the parental units gaming rigs, and those in share houses, or siblings sharing a PC) fencing off individual user (at an OS level) modding makes life so much easier, it does for me.

TzeHuen wrote: +1 for virtual folders
xXBalthorXx wrote: +2 for virtual folders
Ravenscar wrote: +666 for virtual folders, NMM is useless without it.

+1 for virtual folders if for no other reason than to help avoid things breaking when adding and removing mods

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used NMM through many iterations, I assumed that one day version 1.0 would arrive. The name Nexus Mod Manager 1.0 seems like a culmination of a multi-year endeavor (at least until NMM 1.01).

While the virtual drive idea may be unnecessary for the average user, it is never the less a power feature that has proven useful for mega-mod users. No need to take a step backward. Power features are wonderful if incorporated into an interface that makes them easily understood and accessible.

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...

I understand (2nd hand, of course, simply reading the NMM feedback threads) that virtualised folders in NMM haven't worked too well, but it's absolutely one of the core aspects of MO that makes it, from my experience, a preferred mod manager tool (and something that has rarely, if ever broken).

I know you guys aren't look for suggestions in the comments section, but for the love of goodness, please make a "dark" option. That has never been implemented and the long hours people spend modding, it would just be better for our eyes.

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085 are all replies on the same post.

azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).
lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...
Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?

As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.

And finally, please. If anything from MO gets retained, the virtual folders at very least as an option would be appreciated.

And so it doesn't just sound like a whingey 'that's the way I like, so don't change' kind of request, there's a really practical reason:

multiple-users

Not everyone in the house has a gaming PC, but everyone in the house has a login on my gaming rig.

Virtualising the mods and keeping the installed game folder 'vanilla' has been an absolute god-send. I dread to think what 3 people, all modding with their own idea of what mods should be installed, would end up doing to a single folder otherwise.

I'd suggest that for quite a number of people (I'm looking at the older crew, I guess, those with kids - who look with envy at the parental units gaming rigs, and those in share houses, or siblings sharing a PC) fencing off individual user (at an OS level) modding makes life so much easier, it does for me.

corprall wrote: +1 for virtual folders if for no other reason than to help avoid things breaking when adding and removing mods

yes, this!

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255, #47441410 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

corprall wrote: +1 for virtual folders if for no other reason than to help avoid things breaking when adding and removing mods
adkins462 wrote: yes, this!

Absolutely agree on virtualised folders. Keeping that game pristine means life is SO much more easy. It's the professional way to do it and not doing it is like taking 100 arrows to each knee. Given Tannin ran it comfortably on MO for ages, it should be a given that it is the base line on which the new Organizer is built.
Edited by BlueGunk

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255, #47441410, #47442305 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

BlueGunk wrote: Absolutely agree on virtualised folders. Keeping that game pristine means life is SO much more easy. It's the professional way to do it and not doing it is like taking 100 arrows to each knee. Given Tannin ran it comfortably on MO for ages, it should be a given that it is the base line on which the new Organizer is built.

For god sake, maintain my data folder pristine! And let me use several profiles.

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255, #47441410, #47442305, #47450560 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

BlueGunk wrote: Absolutely agree on virtualised folders. Keeping that game pristine means life is SO much more easy. It's the professional way to do it and not doing it is like taking 100 arrows to each knee. Given Tannin ran it comfortably on MO for ages, it should be a given that it is the base line on which the new Organizer is built.
Aryell wrote: For god sake, maintain my data folder pristine! And let me use several profiles.

The fact that they are using web dev technology and emphasized the need to be multi-platform in the article leads me to believe that there won't be MO-esque virtualized directories.

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255, #47441410, #47442305, #47450560, #47452285 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

Aryell wrote: For god sake, maintain my data folder pristine! And let me use several profiles.
TwoArmedMan15 wrote: The fact that they are using web dev technology and emphasized the need to be multi-platform in the article leads me to believe that there won't be MO-esque virtualized directories.

+yet another for virtual folders, makes everything so much easier to install, move around, and fix when it goes bad. Understand this may not work for everything (looking at you Morrowind), but is just about necessary in my mind to mod the later Bethesda games.

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185, #47432280, #47433255, #47441410, #47442305, #47450560, #47452285, #47456050 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

TwoArmedMan15 wrote: The fact that they are using web dev technology and emphasized the need to be multi-platform in the article leads me to believe that there won't be MO-esque virtualized directories.
jonboy wrote: +yet another for virtual folders, makes everything so much easier to install, move around, and fix when it goes bad. Understand this may not work for everything (looking at you Morrowind), but is just about necessary in my mind to mod the later Bethesda games.

+another one for virtual folders here. I can't imagine that reading these comments supporting virtual folders after stating otherwise would be very moralizing, nor will I make any mean spirited or "will not use/support statements" here. But the virtual folder architecture that MO utilizes is SO IMPORTANT to the more "advanced" users of this community. 3 to 4 years ago it was common to see a "we do not support MO users" warning on several mod pages here, but now (to my knowledge at least, and I may be wrong here) it is just a few mods that continue to state this warning. I am not trying to criticize NMM2 in any way (or even NMM1 for that matter), and I have no idea how it will look and work, what will be implemented, etc, and I realize that the effort going into creating such a beast of a program must be absolutely daunting. No matter what NMM2 ends up to be or how it works I will absolutely be trying it out, if nothing else but for the respect I have for the Nexus community as well as for Tannin's work. I just felt it relevant to share this. But then again it was Tannin42 who created MO, maybe there is more creative genius behind NMM2. And after all, it is ONLY my opinion I share here, and we all know what those are like and how fast they can change ;-)

In response to post #47393330. #47394385, #47409845, #47410090, #47410120, #47411905, #47414300, #47426290, #47432345 are all replies on the same post.

TheShoxter wrote: How about calling it Vortex? It's going to be the all-in-one perfect mod manager it seems, so the name represents the combinations of functions all coming together. It also sounds dope.

Current Nexus logo can already be appropriated for this name, it resembles a swirling vortex.
dark_wizzie wrote: Vortex, the ultimate in mod management!!!
GenBloodhorn wrote: Not bad really. Its nice. +1
kazuakisama wrote: I agree. Also avoids confusion with old NMM.

+1
bunnyman280 wrote: Vortex does sound cooler
AedanClarke wrote: Of all the suggestions I've seen, I personally like Vortex the most by far. It sounds cool, is quick to say, quick to type, and isn't a boring acronym.

+1
silencer711 wrote: I actually like Vortex a lot. It's a new name altogether and long name could be NVM (Nexus Vortex Manager) or something. I like VORTEX better than my own suggestion lol :)
IronGator454 wrote: Vortex sounds great! Its a name that sticks out and makes you think when you read it. It literally pulls you into it. Seems a very fitting name for such a great new manager. +1
BoltActionWaffl3 wrote: Vortex +1
Just hope they add a " Dark" UI option.

Vortex definitely sounds great.