Looks like GAME.CO.UK may be on its way out

Marthos

I'm surprised they've stayed in business as long as they have, their pricing is ridiculous, their staff clueless and they've multiple stores in some towns that are only yards apart. It'll be a shame if they drag Gamestation down with them.

GAME have got really bad for PC games. Their online store is constantly out of stock. Their stores have old games at stupidly high prices. No consistency in prices, Space Marine came out they were selling it online for £29.99 yet instore it was £39.99. So I bought it from Tesco for £24.99.

The truth is the supermarkets are crippling these businesses but when money is tight you can't blame people going where the best deals are. I assume if GAME go down so will Gamestation since I believe they own that chain of stores.

• 1 month later...

In the general scheme, more high street shops closing? Not surprised.

What I want to know is how PCworld is still running. Last year I went into one, I saw a 3650 ati card for like something silly like £80-100. Somthing absurd anyway. I basically threw up in my mouth.

PC world rely on selling over priced garbage to the terminally stupid, a strategy that seems to work.

More on GAME.... They've closed half their stores (all of them in Ireland) with the others staying open for now in the hope a buyer can be found. There has also been reports of violence as the stores are refusing to honour credit for games previously traded in, refusing to refund deposits on pre-orders, refusing to accept their own gift cards as well as refusing to replace or refund for faulty games and consoles. If a buyer is found they'll have a hell of a job repairing the reputation of the company after this.

If a buyer is found they'll have a hell of a job repairing the reputation of the company after this.

Exactly, any prospective buyer will take a look at the mess and walk (quickly) in the other direction.

Their website states closed for maintenance, is that what they call it these days ?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/M4rt/GameSplash.jpg

They've brought it upon themselves. With their aggressive pushing of second hand copies and other bad practices that harm the gaming industry no publishers likes them either. So they won't get any help there and all the bad rep will also make other organizations who could save GAME shy away.

EA probably enjoyed refusing to sell Mass Effect 3 to them and seeing it fall apart. Good riddance.

To anyone who still shopped at GAME, I'd recommend buying games from Amazon.co.uk. I'm not even from the UK but I buy games from them and they're great. You'll probably get a better service/deal and a larger variety of games there than if you'd buy games in super markets, which is probably where this thing is going.

Edited by Povuholo

It's not just been the second hand games, their pricing system is ridiculous and they've had way too many stores. In our town there are three of their stores (2 GAME, 1 Gamestation) within 200 yards of each other, all of them devoid of customers.