[LE] Important info for mod authors regarding official HD texture pack

QuickFox

Please try to not repeat something that has already been mentioned. 3-4 people said the exact same thing about the skyrim_default.ini file after I posted about it...

Are you sure people is repeating you? Some don't know where to find the Skyrin_Default.ini, beyond this it is used to "rebuild" Skyrim,ini and if it is already there and have the information about BSAs the game will not look at the default. I mean, if Skyrim.ini does not have the information about the HD pack BSAs they will not be loaded.

Edited by nosisab

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry been a long day for me.. and im not so familiar with esp and bs whatevers..

So if i use the Bethesda Hires pack im going to have to disable/delete all my other texture mods?

Be welcome to the Steam Workshop click and play ... now you have to dabble with changing ini files too ... read the posts in this thread, they explain what need to be done.

Are you sure people is repeating you? Some don't know where to find the Skyrin_Default.ini, beyond this it is used to "rebuild" Skyrim,ini and if it is already there and have the information about BSAs the game will not look at the default. I mean, if Skyrim.ini does not have the information about the HD pack BSAs they will not be loaded.

It is repeating if it's already been posted - and I DID say where the file was located pretty clear. Anything else is irrelevant, I'm just talking about the file name and location so people could find it...

Anyway, I found it logical to modify both skyrim.ini file and skyrim_default.ini

That is what I did and it worked wonders. I tested by uninstalling both Hvergelmir's Armor Retexture and Hvergelmir's Shield Retexture through NMM and tested ingame as I had my armor retextures at hand, and it showed the new high-res textures. They are looking much better than the original textures, but still not as good as my retextures, so I'll of course install those again ;)

Confirmed, That method works Ithot;

I note that it must be done to the "data\skyrim.ini", not the one in "documents\my games\skyrim\"

The load loose files option got taken out in the 1.4 patch, afaik.

Weird.... I don't have a data\skyrim.ini file. The only one is in my games\skyrim.

Windows 7, FWIW.

Im running windows 7 and I have one.

No doubt. Anyway, I made the changes in the skyrim.ini, and it seems to be working - hi-res textures and the few texture mods I have installed. The game looks subtly sharper... I'd say it was my imagination, if those blue mental bowls and cups in my Whiterun house didn't look better than before. But I was running on the Geforce.com recommended settings for my GTX570.

Still a little unclear on a few things.

If i have not downloaded the Bethesda Hi Res pack yet.. can i make these .ini changes, download the pack, and it will use the official pack plus my mods? Or do i have to download the pack first, deactivate it , then make the .ini changes.. and some people are saying you need to delete the esp or bsas?

Please bare with me.. have a cold and hopped on cold medicine.. brain is going at a crawl..

Edit: also is this even necessary for me to do? The mods i want to use are vurts flora overhaul, a hi res horse mod,enhanced blood textures and maybe some landscape textures from skyrim hd.

Edited by Smelgafeld

Still a little unclear on a few things.

If i have not downloaded the Bethesda Hi Res pack yet.. can i make these .ini changes, download the pack, and it will use the official pack plus my mods? Or do i have to download the pack first, deactivate it , then make the .ini changes.. and some people are saying you need to delete the esp or bsas?

Please bare with me.. have a cold and hopped on cold medicine.. brain is going at a crawl..

Edit: also is this even necessary for me to do? The mods i want to use are vurts flora overhaul, a hi res horse mod,enhanced blood textures and maybe some landscape textures from skyrim hd.

You need to download the official HD texture pack.

Makes the changes to your ini files.

And deactivate or delete the esps files that come with the HD texture pack (DO NOT DELETE THE BSAs!).