⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Is there a MOD limit?

rabidNode

People have their own theories about the limit and wont really except the 254/255/256 values that are thrown everywhere.

Wut? You can't have theories about something that's a known fact. The fact is that Skyrim can only address mods up to 0xFE, which is 255 in decimal. There's no other way to think about it.

• Skyrim LE 255 registered plugins
  • Skyrim SE 255 esp or esm + 4096 esl = 4351 potential registered plugins
  • Reality on SE 400 with no tricks is OK.
  • note I was vague intentionally on LE & SE, I know how it works.... don't explain to me!!
  • I know about Game Save too, I am just generalizing for Newbies
  • Knock yourself out explaining it to someone else though. Feel Free.

to sum up for SkyrimLE:

( game save + skyrim + update + dragonborn + hearthfires + dawnguard) - 256= how many mods you can have!!!

People have their own theories about the limit and wont really except the 254/255/256 values that are thrown everywhere.

Wut? You can't have theories about something that's a known fact. The fact is that Skyrim can only address mods up to 0xFE, which is 255 in decimal. There's no other way to think about it.

LOAD ORDER

skyrim [0] = 00

update [1] = 01

blah blah blah.....

Last Mod [254] = FE

GameSave [255] = FF

Registrations = 256

so it 255 limit cos registration index starts at ZERO else it 256 registrations

check LOOT & xEdit to see it starts at ZERO if you don't believe me. 0 to 255 = 256.

NOTE WHERE THE LAST MOD IS?

Edit:

Why Zero, Cause it is process as a friggen code ARRAY, not primary school maths.

LOAD ORDER

skyrim [0] = 00

update [1] = 01

blah blah blah.....

Last Mod [254] = FE

GameSave [255] = FF

Registrations = 256

check LOOT & xEdit to see it starts at ZERO if you don't believe me. 0 to 255 = 256.

Edit:

Why Zero, Cause it is process as a friggen code ARRAY, not primary school maths.

Preachin' to the choir here, buddy. I am intimately familiar with the concept of starting at zero.

LOAD ORDER

skyrim [0] = 00

update [1] = 01

blah blah blah.....

Last Mod [254] = FE

GameSave [255] = FF

Registrations = 256

Edit:

Preachin' to the choir here, buddy. I am intimately familiar with the concept of starting at zero.

cool.. I was just generalizing, & agreeing with you, It was more for the readers. I saw the second post after I posted my first. Notice we both stated FE is the last Mod... So I just expanded the explanation including game save at FF, & why both 256 & 255 are both right. If you can see the bigger picture!!

can confirm: the limit is 254 f(0 to 254 or hex 0 to fe slots to be correct, 0 has to be included as the 1st slot)for active esp/esm. you can install more but only up to hex fe will be recognized (skyrim le, tested and verified with modorganizer and tes5edit) - at least in my game. mods without esp are limited by the amount the modmanager can handle - ctd free at least 965 with modorganizer in my game, probably many more...

i can assure you that you need a fast ssd to start skyrim in a reasonable time :smile:

Edited by xrayy