Dragon tactics for weaklings

essexfuzz

You hit on a pretty good tactic right there.

Dragons are everyones enemy and there will be a quick alliance with anything to take them down. Just don't linger after the dragon is killed, everything will turn on you once the dragon is gone. You can scrape a dragon onto some other monsters and beat a hasty retreat, or simply level up your bow skill as the npcs or monsters are tanking it. Just remember to poison your bow for a little extra damage (it may resist a lot of the time, however).

Edited by Ichorlicker

Honestly it's uber easy to kill dragons with a thief/sneak type as i had one and only play on master, after level 25 i was overpowered ( no smithing alchemy enchanting crap either )

i was made it up to level 43 before i got rid of it as it was too boring, i was 1 hitting everything even dragons, and was even able to sneak up to them sometimes.

two daggers with the perk for increased damage+db gloves+shadow warrior perk=overpowered.

I am playing a character that is a cross between a thief and a ranger/scout type character. Alchemy can help you a lot (I have many perks in alchemy). Also, let me tell you, alchemy is a great way to make money in Skyrim. Once you are good with alchemy, you can make dozens of potions, many that range in price from 200 septims a piece to over 2300 a piece. And of course, you can easily make dozens of each potion/poison if you have the ingredients. You can invest in some of the perks at the beginning of the Alchemy tree (there are 5). You can invest in all 5, if you want. Then there is a perk for increasing the potency of healing potions, a perk for increasing the potency of all beneficial potions (like healing potions, resist fire potions, and resist frost potions, for example), and a perk for increasing the potency of poisons. Read more here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Alchemy

Investing some perks in Alchemy is a good way to make your thief character a more fearsome fighter. What you could do, if you don't want to pursue getting alchemy to 100 and getting the best perks, is invest some perks into it and raising your Alchemy level to at least 60 sometime soon. You could get the perks "physician", "benefactor", and "poisoner" and if you don't want to put all 5 perk points into the first part of the skill tree, "Alchemist", you could put perk points into two or three of them and then buy fortify alchemy items. Check out this list of generic magic apparel in Skyrim. The fortify alchemy apparel just so happens to be at the very top. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Generic_Magic_Apparel

One great place to get fortify alchemy apparel is Radiant Raiment in Solitude. If you don't know where that is, it is really simple. Enter Solitude and the first shop on the right is Radiant Raiment. You can also find fortify alchemy gauntlets from different blacksmiths, too. Just make sure to equip the fortify alchemy apparel before making your potions.

With potent poisons, and the concentrated poison perk (when coating a weapon with poison, it will last for two hits instead of just one), you can do some good damage when you want to. There is a poison you can make that, and this is what I remember from it when I had only some of the perks and my alchemy wasn't yet at 100, so it can get significantly more powerful than this - so anyway, this poison did 59 points of damage plus 12 points of damage per second for 10 seconds (so 179 points of damage in 10 seconds), plus the damage from your weapon. With the concentrated poison perk, one unit of that poison lasts for two hits.

So alchemy is a possibility for you. You could just put more perks into your archery, but Alchemy makes for a more interesting and fun way to play and make your character better, I think. Plus, you will be able to make potent health potions and resist fire and resist frost potions, as well as other good poisons (like paralysis and slow potions). Slow poisons come in handy. They make your enemies move at half speed, and the duration is significantly more than paralysis poisons made with the same perks and at the same alchemy skill level. Plus, you can combine the two ingredients that make slow poisons with a damage health ingredient to make a poison that slows an opponent by 50% and deals some damage, too. Also, I don't believe paralysis poisons work on dragons, but slow poisons do.

You could put perks into archery if you want. Maybe just the ones that increase the damage rating of bows and arrows. Oh yeah, also, you can create fortify marksman potions. With all the right perks and with your alchemy at 100, fortify marksman potions increase the damage from your bow by 60%.

Edited by Dubnoman

Can anyone confirm whether paralyze poison ever works on dragons? The few times I've tried it was resisted.

I would post some recipes for some helpful potions and poisons, but some people might not like to see them. However, it seems like you aren't too interested in pursuing putting perk points into alchemy. I'd like to help you out. Would you like me to PM you some useful potion and poison recipes? If you plan to use some alchemy, I would recommend putting some perk points into its skill tree, though.

OP, (based on your build) whatever you do keep away from melee attacking dragons unless having very high physical defense, that is specially true if using Deadly Dragons mod. The best thing to do is stacking as much magic and corresponding elemental defense you can against that specific dragon type. if it lands, run like heck from it and keep stinging him with your arrows ... this may last a small "eternity" but grant's your archery skills to rocket up quickly and the next dragon will last a tad smaller "eternity".

PS: Never get near him if your health is bellow the threshold unless wanting to see your character gnawed and spit out as distasteful dessert. :)

Summoning Ranged attacking allies can help a lot if you are able to do this.

Edited by nosisab

Carry allot of health potions!

I'm in a very similar boat, I tend to shoot at them with my bow non stop, usually hiding behind a rock or something so it can't hit me with his flames- as soon as he lands, rush in with duel wielding swords and power attack as fast as I can.