How plausible would a Fallout 1/2 recreation in FO4 be?

Wunderbot

Ugh... can you lads just play the game as is and stop trying to cram a circle into a square?

if they want to take the time to re-create all the game assets . . .

porting them is a known copyright infringement . . .

let them knock themselves out

Fo1 and 2 arent compatible with any fo game after fo3 for porting due to different game types, engine, and models. They are suggesting remaking the games using the engine FO4 has which requires everything to be recreated.

It's not that they need to recreate all the assets, but simply about the fact that the two games differ so much mechanically it won't be as good as people seem to think it would. Anyway, knock yourself out. You aren't the first ones to do so.

recreating the first two (four if you include Tactics and Van Buren) would take so long that we'll be playing Fallout 5 before it's finished.

but recreating all the land masses with the political set up they would have at the time of Fallout 4 is possible as it wouldn't require quests and could get off the ground with vanilla assets for most things except the land mass.

still a huge undertaking but not impossible.

FO3 and New Vegas are already under construction and new land masses such as New York have been added by other teams of modders.

recreating the first two (four if you include Tactics and Van Buren) would take so long that we'll be playing Fallout 5 before it's finished.

but recreating all the land masses with the political set up they would have at the time of Fallout 4 is possible as it wouldn't require quests and could get off the ground with vanilla assets for most things except the land mass.

still a huge undertaking but not impossible.

FO3 and New Vegas are already under construction and new land masses such as New York have been added by other teams of modders.

sir we are talking about build a whole new game, even without quests that is quite a task for people who cant make money off it. sure it is plausible but no one here is saying otherwise, what we're saying is it is very very unlikely to ever happen.

sure it is plausible but no one here is saying otherwise, what we're saying is it is very very unlikely to ever happen.

unlikely or not, people have already started on mods to recreate the Capitol Wasteland from Fallout 3.

as far as I know they have recreated vault 101, Megaton and Springvale School as well as several NPCs.

google "fallout 3 in fallout 4" and "new vegas in fallout 4" for more info

the question isn't how likely this is but rather "is there anyone motivated enough to attempt it?"

seeing as how new vegas and fallout 3 have been started, and considering how much people want this, I wouldn't be surprised if this was attempted.

I wouldn't expect to see anything playable for a couple of years at least but I wouldn't rule out someone trying it because of the difficulty or time involved.

sure it is plausible but no one here is saying otherwise, what we're saying is it is very very unlikely to ever happen.

unlikely or not, people have already started on mods to recreate the Capitol Wasteland from Fallout 3.

as far as I know they have recreated vault 101, Megaton and Springvale School as well as several NPCs.

google "fallout 3 in fallout 4" and "new vegas in fallout 4" for more info

the question isn't how likely this is but rather "is there anyone motivated enough to attempt it?"

seeing as how new vegas and fallout 3 have been started, and considering how much people want this, I wouldn't be surprised if this was attempted.

I wouldn't expect to see anything playable for a couple of years at least but I wouldn't rule out someone trying it because of the difficulty or time involved.

Fallout 3 and NV are far smaller game worlds.

if I was going to attempt this (I'm not but if I was) I would break the land mass into smaller manageable areas with transitions between them (like the original STALKER). difficult and a lot of work but not impossible. if this were a labour of love for someone, that would not stop them.

Build the requisite areas with physical borders, or maybe just open desert with an eventual killzone, requiring fast travel to get from one to another. Add a script to potentially generate a random encounter whenever you fast travel. Bam, you have a basic version of the Fallout 1-2 map system.

Yeah, working on the areas of interest first, as opposed to the boring desert overworld segments, would probably best keep everyone's attention. If you kept them in their own worldspaces or just cells, you could move them later once a community effort to make a landscape evolved. You could even just use a menu for travel, since there aren't that many places, at least in Fallout 1. The "quests" involved in the original game would not be that involved scripting-wise, the important element is the level design / map editing. As far as the dialogue, you could distribute, e.g. a Python script that would do the job of taking the old sound files from a legitimate install of the original game and moving them to the FO4 directory. (And dialogue was mostly limited to talking heads in the first place...)