Just bought PC Oblivion

Stemin

Well, I got out of the sewers today. I can't quite say I'm having fun yet. I fixed an issue with the menu's and the gamepad. I still have to use the keyboard to drop items and operate certain things. I think I could live with that if it wasn't for the drifting on the gamepad itself. Sometimes when I'm at total idle you can watch the cursor drift and the way my character pulls left and right when I'm trying to walk in a straight line is really really annoying.

I finally found a female bandit to kill to see if the mod took effect and was both surprised and amused to find a naked Khajit under that clothing so I guess the mod is working. This is the second time I got a crash to desktop when I exited. I understand there's a mod that's supposed to fix that, but I could never figure out how to install it.

I'm not sure I care all that much until I get this movement issue fixed.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You shouldn't use a gamepad and keyboard, just a keyboard on its own. Currently, I have left mouse for attack, right mouse for block, arrow keys for moving, and M for magic, they are the only controls you will use all the time. Remember Caps Lock is autorun and if you have that on all the time you will be able to walk at the same speed as on consoles.

2. Exiting with CTDs sometimes happens, but loading another save game is a larger CTD inducer.

1. You shouldn't use a gamepad and keyboard, just a keyboard on its own. Currently, I have left mouse for attack, right mouse for block, arrow keys for moving, and M for magic, they are the only controls you will use all the time. Remember Caps Lock is autorun and if you have that on all the time you will be able to walk at the same speed as on consoles.

Dude? Don't tell me how I "should" play. You're probably one of the same people complaining about how skyrim was written for a gamepad and you can't "bind keys" properly. Whatever that means. You obviously didn't even have the decency to read the whole thread before posting, so just let it alone. We already had a discussion about people telling people how they "should" do things.

Does a gamepad have a calibrate option like a joystick or wheel?

Not sure if you've seen this thread Stemin.

This is one of those order of operations issues. Windows 7 has gamepad calibration. This may or may not be something I need to look at, but as near as I could tell calibration wasn't an issue when I was trying to play Skyrim, just Oblivion. The issues with skyrim were a different problem.

I did look at that link you sent me. It's actually one of the mods I mentioned I was using.

See Oblivion has an option for Joysticks, but I have no idea what it was meant to support because everything I've read indicates Oblivion really has no gamepad support. It definitely wasn't built to support the 360 PC controller.

So what people are doing is using that xpadder program in the link. I've tried several variations on it. In fact that's what the wiki article tells you to use.

What xpadder does is simply makes your gamepad emulate keyboard functions. The problem with that is that you have a minimal number of buttons on a gamepad to operate all the functions in Oblivion. It causes complications where a certain button might do this while you're playing, but it does something else when you're in a menu. You end up having to assign multiple keyboard keys to one button, which can cause conflicts in certain situations.

So far I've actually been able to successfully map all the buttons, except for a few features like dropping items that require you to just use shift and the button. It's just the controls that I'm having issues with.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if the issues I'm having are related to the xpadder program or the edits that the mod above had me make to the Oblivion.ini. I do know that after trying the mod I was happier before when I had mapped it out myself according to the wiki article, so I made changes accordingly, but I didn't change anything back in the Oblivion.ini.

I saw a tutorial on youtube about setting up xpadder from scratch for any controller and it gave me a look at some of the options I didn't know xpadder had. I'm wondering if changing the movement from the 4 button layout that the mod has to an 8 button movement might fix my issues. I just haven't taken the time to try it. If I can't find the answers within the xpadder program, I think I'm going to have to change the Oblivion.ini file back to the defaults and see if it improves the situation.

I'm getting discouraged because everything I try doesn't work, so I'm getting to the point where I just am losing optimism that trying anything else will work. I really have to gear up my motivation to mess with this at this point. More than once I've considered abandoning the project and just going back to playing it on xbox.

The reason I asked about the possibility of calibrating is your description of the drifting reminded me of a joystick that needed calibration to have a proper 'center'. I hear you on the motivation issue ... generally I've moved on by this point if I haven't found a solution so you're more 'stick to it' than me.

The reason I asked about the possibility of calibrating is your description of the drifting reminded me of a joystick that needed calibration to have a proper 'center'. I hear you on the motivation issue ... generally I've moved on by this point if I haven't found a solution so you're more 'stick to it' than me.

Oh I got what you were saying and it makes sense, but that's what I meant by order of operations. The calibration I know of is in Windows, so that would presumably take effect for all of windows, so if the controller is working when I play Skyrim, I have to presume it's in calibration, unless it's an issue of something being off when the controller is turned on, I suppose.

Now if there were an additional calibration feature within xpadder, which I just don't know about one way or another, that might be my answer, which is why I was talking about the possibility of looking into setting it up as an 8-way directional and seeing if that helps.

Btw. In case I haven't said it lately, thanks for your help and support. I could be pretty short tempered at times, so it's good to remember to say that.

A couple of weird things I noticed this morning. When I walk diagonally, my character moves extremely slow. I tried turning on 8 way (in xpadder) and assigning two buttons for each diagonal movement. (WA, WD, AS, SD), but it didn't make a lick of difference.

So I tried another experiment... I tried just using the keyboard to move my character with WASD. The movement issues were gone, but the player only moved at half the speed he was moving with the gamepad. Makes me wonder if the config for xpadder has run turned on somehow? I don't know if Oblivion had a run feature. What's even weirder is when I used the gamepad to move the character to compare the speed, I got to a point where the keyboard would no longer move my character at all and I had to use the gamepad.

Anyone know anything about a run feature or have some idea why I have 3 levels of character speed? It sounds like a responsiveness issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

The movement issues were gone, but the player only moved at half the speed he was moving with the gamepad. Makes me wonder if the config for xpadder has run turned on somehow? I don't know if Oblivion had a run feature.

Yes, by default the left shift key (or toggling caps lock) on the keyboard is used to run.