The Creation Club - How to make it helpful to the Modding community, not destroy it

MrJoseCuervo

There is not a single real world example of any other outcome. Show one where a corporation came into a hobbyist community and improved it and helped it thrive rather than privatizing and monetizing it for their own exploitation. In my 50 years I have not seen one instance of this happening. Ever.

Let's take Canonical, creators of the Ubuntu Linux-based operating system as an example. They literally give away an entire operating system (based on the hobbyist-created Debian) and support the company by providing commercial technical support and other services. The company was and is pivotal in increasing the footprint of open-source operating systems around the world. They have never sought to privatize or monetize their contributions to the Ubuntu OS in the 13 years Canonical has existed as a company.

Arduino is another company that works well with hobbyists. It has open-sourced the Arduino hardware that is used by many hardware and software developers while making its living selling fully-built Arduino boards, so anyone with the proper tools can simply download the CAD files and try to build an Arduino without purchasing one from the company.

And those are just two examples I came up with in 5 minutes. I'm sure if you did some more research you could find many more examples.

Edited by Reneer

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Reneer, @PoorlyAged, @HayYou and many others, Just walk away! step back from the gloom and doom.

You know what?

I looked out my window today and shockingly enough, the sky was not falling!

This argument is not worth your breath or the calories it takes you to type your responses.

Let them wallow in their perceived end of the world scenarios.

I am familiar with Arduino. But they are not the same as Bethesda. They are not a publicly owned company. Neither is Canonical

Ah, moving the goalposts, I see. Fine, I can work with that.

Red Hat is a publicly-traded (NYSE: RHT) company that produces Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RHEL is targeted towards the commercial (business) market, but the source code is available if you want to compile it directly. Not only that, but Red Hat sponsors the Fedora Project, which produces Fedora Linux.

@Reneer, @PoorlyAged, @HayYou and many others, Just walk away! step back from the gloom and doom.

You know what?

I looked out my window today and shockingly enough, the sky was not falling!

This argument is not worth your breath or the calories it takes you to type your responses.

Let them wallow in their perceived end of the world scenarios.

I agree, certainly, but I guess I can't help myself sometimes. :tongue: Edited by Reneer