The Creation Club - How to make it helpful to the Modding community, not destroy it

MrJoseCuervo

It depends on how successful you are as a modder. For example my favorite house modder, the one and only Elianora: https://www.patreon.com/Elianora

Â

I'm a unknown modder and i started public modding with Fallout 4 and i struggled a lot with buying the DLCs. As a student, i'm always broke. There are nice people out there who gifted me the DLCs to mod them. Also when my graphic card was broken, i also got some donations to get a new one. Since then, a lot of time has passed and donations are rare, but they happen from time to time and i'm happy about that. Its a good feel, that people love my work and support it. Yes, it also does motivate me to push things even further but i don't do it for the money. It's a nice side effect and helps to survive and pay the bills.

Bethesda explicitly forbids mod authors from using Patreon or Kickstarter (source).

That being said, it's not the point. The point is that the percentage of downloads to donations is absolutely terrible and always has been.

Well... i think there is a grey area with that. Its the same with donations. As long as your patreon is "unrelated" to your projects, its fine.

Example would be with Patreon:

AwesomeModder5001's Patreon Page:

Hey guys! Its me! AwesomeModder5001! Support my mod development and get the following extras:

Pay $1 you get:

Beta mod access

Pay $5 you get:

Alpha mod access

Pay $10 you get:

Add your own ideas to the mod

-----------------------------------------------

This would bring you definitely problems.

But if you have a Patreon page like:

JonnyImba's Patreon Page:

Hey my name is JonnyImba. I'm the most beautiful person you have ever met and a mod-maker. I also have a youtube channel, where i tell you the what the reason of life is (Spoiler: There is none.)

Pay $1 you get:

Get a shirt with my name! (I also wear it for some hours if you want.)

Pay $5 you get:

Get an awesome signed salt bucket, with salt for your whole life!

Pay $50 you get:

Get a Skype-Call with Me and tell me what makes you cry!

--------------------------------------------------------

Should be totally fine.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... i think there is a grey area with that. Its the same with donations. As long as your patreon is "unrelated" to your projects, its fine.

Hey guys! Its me! AwesomeModder5001! Support my mod development and get the following extras:

Pay $1 you get:

Beta mod access

Pay $5 you get:

Alpha mod access

Pay $10 you get:

Hey my name is JonnyImba. I'm the most beautiful person you have ever met and a mod-maker. I also have a youtube channel, where i tell you the what the reason of life is (Spoiler: There is none.)

Pay $1 you get:

Pay $5 you get:

Pay $50 you get:

Should be totally fine.

that would probably be ok but how much time would you have left to mod after all the work needed for the Patreon Page.

Pay $1 you get:

Beta mod access

Pay $5 you get:

Alpha mod access

Pay $10 you get:

Pay $1 you get:

Pay $5 you get:

Pay $50 you get:

Should be totally fine.

that would probably be ok but how much time would you have left to mod after all the work needed for the Patreon Page.

Not to mention the average t-shirt is 15 bucks these days, and that's plain. Ad lettering to it, and that's another 10 bucks. At least.

The coin system helps facilitate micro transactions because people are less likely to buy small ($1-2) dlc if they have to charge their credit card for every single purchase. Theoretically, with the coin system, you can set yourself a budget by purchasing as many coins as you see fit and then spending them on whichever dlcs you like. Of course, it is annoying if you only want to purchase one 100 coin item and the smallest coin package is 500 coins, but if Creation Club is doing its job right then there will be plenty of items that you'd like to purchase.

It also does facilitate refunds. It costs money to process credit card refunds, and if Bethesda has to refund thousands of $1-5 transactions because people keep buying dlcs to try them out and then expecting their money back because they didn't read the description and the dlc isn't actually what they were looking for, the costs stack up. There is no additional cost for refunding coins, so all the douchebag customers can get their coin refunds and spend them on a different dlc that they probably haven't read the description for. Of course, if the downside is that they will probably never allow you to refund your coins for money, meaning that if you stop using Creation Club's mods without spending your wallet, then the leftover coins become a sacrifice to Boethiesda.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger

It cannot be helpful to the community at large, only helpful to business and maybe modders who will make small profits. Should never have tried to monetize what was and is a great community of hobbyists. I detest it. Whether it will tear community apart or not, well we've already theorised over this in the other thread, just have to wait and see. I would love to see another 3 million strong petition delivered to them again though :D

It cannot be helpful to the community at large, only helpful to business and maybe modders who will make small profits. Should never have tried to monetize what was and is a great community of hobbyists. I detest it. Whether it will tear community apart or not, well we've already theorised over this in the other thread, just have to wait and see. I would love to see another 3 million strong petition delivered to them again though :DÂ

Unlike Valve, Bethesda won't care. They have had a long time to think about the consequences of making the Creation Club and what the backlash would be. No amount of Change.org petitions would make them change course.

1.) Donations on the Nexus do not work.

I am not going to bother defending that position because I already know it to be true.

2.) Creation Club is likely to be both harmful and beneficial to the modding community.

Why?

Because the best authors who make the best mods are going to turn to making CC Mods because why not make money if you have the talent and skill to do so?

This is going to impact what is available, for free, on the Nexus. Sure, some folks will still release free content that is original and of great quality, but it is going to occur with less frequency. And I do not begrudge those authors that; talent and time spent deserves reward.

But it will also be beneficial because it is going to draw more (and new) mod authors who will learn and grow as developers, etc. This will give us a greater pool of knowledge and expertise as things move forward.

All of that said, though, I cannot help but wonder how much of a cut Bethesda is going to be looking at taking from the pie, and how much the original author is going to get out of it (in percentages).

And, no, I did not read all 8 pages of other commentary (just the first two), so if I've repeated anything already said, my apologies.

Just my $.02

Well maybe its still too early to judge, and Bethesda Softworks has explained a lot in great detail about their "Creation Club" , about free mods and mini DLC's within it.

However that was only after the huge outcry from the public, and this raises some concerns and issues.

It could be that Bethesda failed (intentionally or not) to properly explain that during E3.

Some youtubers, like Gopher, which always shows gameplay and mods from Fallout and The Elder scrolls series on his channel (among other things), have suggested to give Bethesda the benefit of doubt, that this "Creation Club" might be a great platform for good mods (ik its hard to believe because of what they show in their trailer).

This could be great if it turns out to be true.

However, with recent issues plaguing Bethesda and other major publishers, we have every damn right to be deeply sceptical with them!

Its a good thing Bethesda gets so much s*** from the public, because they were pushed to explain it with great details on how this would work.

Remember , Bethesda Softworks is the same publisher that launched their crusades and bullying tactics against other indie developers over common english words like : scrools, prey and fallout.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, given the benefit of doubt to Bethesda Softworks, and Bethesda Game studios for that matter, BECAUSE THEY DESERVE NONE OF IT!

Proof is in their recent actions:

Re-release of skyrim with none of the older bugs, that remained, fixed (although modders showed they can be fixed)

The Fiasco of the previous paid mods attempt, where they completely rejected Steam's advice and greedy went to milk the modding community for more income, with no respect or responsibility what so ever.

Countless cut content that was then released as paid dlc (seriously wtf so many settlement DLCs)

and so on!

If they do this, they better start acting like a game publishing company, and not like a bunch of pyramid scheme f*#@tards.

Some may call us "a bunch of selfish cry-babies" but i see it more of a "check and balance system".

Edited by HeArTBeaT15

Well maybe its still too early to judge, and Bethesda Softworks has explained a lot in great detail about their "Creation Club" , about free mods and mini DLC's within it.

However that was only after the huge outcry from the public, and this raises some concerns and issues.

It could be that Bethesda failed (intentionally or not) to properly explain that during E3.

Some youtubers, like Gopher, which always shows gameplay and mods from Fallout and The Elder scrolls series on his channel (among other things), have suggested to give Bethesda the benefit of doubt, that this "Creation Club" might be a great platform for good mods (ik its hard to believe because of what they show in their trailer).

This could be great if it turns out to be true.

However, with recent issues plaguing Bethesda and other major publishers, we have every damn right to be deeply sceptical with them!

Its a good thing Bethesda gets so much s*** from the public, because they were pushed to explain it with great details on how this would work.

Remember , Bethesda Softworks is the same publisher that launched their crusades and bullying tactics against other indie developers over common english words like : scrools, prey and fallout.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, given the benefit of doubt to Bethesda Softworks, and Bethesda Game studios for that matter, BECAUSE THEY DESERVE NONE OF IT!

Proof is in their recent actions:

Re-release of skyrim with none of the older bugs, that remained, fixed (although modders showed they can be fixed)

The Fiasco of the previous paid mods attempt, where they completely rejected Steam's advice and greedy went to milk the modding community for more income, with no respect or responsibility what so ever.

Countless cut content that was then released as paid dlc (seriously wtf so many settlement DLCs)

and so on!

If they do this, they better start acting like a game publishing company, and not like a bunch of pyramid scheme f*#@tards.

Some may call us "a bunch of selfish cry-babies" but i see it more of a "check and balance system".

They did? Do you have a link to this 'more information'? I would be very much interested in what they have to say.