TUTORIAL: Assign Meshes to NEW Body Parts

FavoredSoul

Here's a good one. I've downloaded a number of armour mods from the nexus, and as a result have a loooong list of plugins when i enter NMM. So I'm trying to combine the ones I like most into a single mod to streamline my plugin list. However, in one of the mods, one mesh has been assigned to slot 48 in Nifskope, and even when I follow these instructions to reassign it to the slot I want (47) it remains invisible in game. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Ignore the above. When I realised where I had messed up I think my IQ slid 10 points down the scale.

Edited by cthulhuofrlyeh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You man, deserved yourself a big, fat, cute, kudos.

Managed to fix long-term bug I had within my "Helmet of Talos"

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/184242

As it's made of two helmets utilizing "head" slot, it was not possible to make it visible. (Yes, I use ancient alpha-mapping technique to make stuff)

I had to change the part those utilize, and now it works!

• 2 weeks later...

If I am changing the slot to 55 for an Eye Patch, how do I make sure I have all the right files.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5192/eyepatchfiles.jpg

Also are there any resources that go over traditional naming conventions? Because beyepatchl.nif and beyepatchl_go.nif don't have the same data as the other files.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5632/eyepatchfiles2.jpg

To mention, I know nothing about the program but Nikinoodles and a friend of mine were kind enough to help guide me to a way to change the slot, so I'm trying to learn it even if one thing at a time.

Edited by Sharlikran

My other post was on topic this is slightly off topic, but if I may ask; Another error I got which makes me wonder about the files and their naming conventions was this also.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7931/eyepatchfiles3.jpg

Edited by Sharlikran

If I am changing the slot to 55 for an Eye Patch, how do I make sure I have all the right files.

I've never seen these eye patches before, but I can tell just by looking at their names that you've got them all. There's the ground mesh (beyepatchl_go.nif), and two different types of eye patch beyepatchl and beyepatchkl. For both these eye patches you have a male and female version.

are there any ... traditional naming conventions? Because beyepatchl.nif and beyepatchl_go.nif don't have the same data as the other files

That's because these meshes serve different functions.

GO stands for ground object; Its the mesh you see when the eye patch is not worn, and is dropped on the ground.

If there is an 'f' in the file name, it means its for females.

I know nothing about the program

This tutorial should be everything you need. That's why I include marked pictures and clear instructions.

Another error I got which makes me wonder about the files and their naming conventions was this also.

Don't worry about any warning meshes you get when you working with the Creation Kit. It's all rubbish. Always hit yes to all.

Edited by FavoredSoul

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Would anybody know why this isn't working for me? I am trying to edit the forsworn armor so it can be worn in conjunction with other armor but it doesn't matter which slot i pick it stays invisible.

The Body Slots in the AA and the armor are set to 40 just like in the nif file. I think it might have something to do with the NiTriShape: ForswornBodySkin. That one also has 3 partitions but it doesn't matter if i only put the torso to 40. all 3 to 40 or leave them be the armor still refuses to show up.

Edited by rilax

Would anybody know why this isn't working for me? I am trying to edit the forsworn armor so it can be worn in conjunction with other armor but it doesn't matter which slot i pick it stays invisible.

The Body Slots in the AA and the armor are set to 40 just like in the nif file. I think it might have something to do with the NiTriShape: ForswornBodySkin. That one also has 3 partitions but it doesn't matter if i only put the torso to 40. all 3 to 40 or leave them be the armor still refuses to show up.

I can't show you how to do it because I barley understand it myself. However, you have to set the NIF file to use the slot you want with NifSkope, and the Armor record to use the slot you want in the CK. If you don't set both it will either crash Skyrim outright, or it won't display.

A user contacted me recently about the EyePatch mod conflicting with a lantern mod. So I explained that I had used the slots in this post. However, I did so to avoid conflicts with other mods. So please choose a slot that won't conflict with other armor mods. if you want to make Falmer armor work with a bra for example under the Falmer armor I don't think that is possible with Skyrim because one will overwrite the other.

If it is possible then NifSkope would have to set a priority to the layer of clothing. Depending on the layer would tell the Skyrim graphics engine which to render first, then second, and so on. So if you have seen that with other mods, then I would ask the author of that mod how they did it. There is also a posibility that if it is possible the mesh has to support it. What I mean by that is say the default mesh for the falmer armor does not support layers. You would have to alter the the NIF file in NifSkope and possibly the Mesh itself in Blender.

In case you are not aware of this. Blender is a program to make the Mesh, say a body, a barrel, an apple, whatever. Nifskope is the program used to asign properties to the Mesh that Skyrim needs so that the mesh can be used in Skyrim.

Edited by Sharlikran

I can't show you how to do it because I barley understand it myself. However, you have to set the NIF file to use the slot you want with NifSkope, and the Armor record to use the slot you want in the CK. If you don't set both it will either crash Skyrim outright, or it won't display.

A user contacted me recently about the EyePatch mod conflicting with a lantern mod. So I explained that I had used the slots in this post. However, I did so to avoid conflicts with other mods. So please choose a slot that won't conflict with other armor mods. if you want to make Falmer armor work with a bra for example under the Falmer armor I don't think that is possible with Skyrim because one will overwrite the other.

If it is possible then NifSkope would have to set a priority to the layer of clothing. Depending on the layer would tell the Skyrim graphics engine which to render first, then second, and so on. So if you have seen that with other mods, then I would ask the author of that mod how they did it. There is also a posibility that if it is possible the mesh has to support it. What I mean by that is say the default mesh for the falmer armor does not support layers. You would have to alter the the NIF file in NifSkope and possibly the Mesh itself in Blender.

In case you are not aware of this. Blender is a program to make the Mesh, say a body, a barrel, an apple, whatever. Nifskope is the program used to asign properties to the Mesh that Skyrim needs so that the mesh can be used in Skyrim.

Thanks for the advice :), but the thing is my .nif ( the forsworn armor) has two NiTriShapes. I did this before with robes but now it doesn't want to budge. One is for the armor itself which consists of one partition and the other is for the body which has 3 partitions. I think that the reason it's not showing up is has something to do with these 3 partitions. They are 32 Torso, 34 Forearms and 38 Calves. I tried changing them, to the same slot as the first partition, leaving them at default, or using the same values for torso (the armor itself is also labeled as torso) but not for forearms and calves but no matter what it stays invisible. I spend two hours brainstorming on this yesterday, trying out lots of combinations but none of it worked.

You don't have to worry about my mod conflicting with other mods by the way. This one is just a mod for my own use. I'm not planning on releasing it and even if i was i sure as hell wouldn't release it with invisible armor . :tongue:

Edited by rilax

Thanks for the advice :smile:, but the thing is my .nif ( the forsworn armor) has two NiTriShapes. I did this before with robes but now it doesn't want to budge. One is for the armor itself which consists of one partition and the other is for the body which has 3 partitions. I think that the reason it's not showing up is has something to do with these 3 partitions. They are 32 Torso, 34 Forearms and 38 Calves. I tried changing them, to the same slot as the first partition, leaving them at default, or using the same values for torso (the armor itself is also labeled as torso) but not for forearms and calves but no matter what it stays invisible. I spend two hours brainstorming on this yesterday, trying out lots of combinations but none of it worked.

You don't have to worry about my mod conflicting with other mods by the way. This one is just a mod for my own use. I'm not planning on releasing it and even if i was i sure as hell wouldn't release it with invisible armor . :tongue:

You obviously know more then me. Does the 3DIndex match between the Nif and the Plugin? I have not idea what that means (you don't have to explain it) but I hear that matters.