A Neverwinter Nights 2 Nexus?

casadechrisso

I'm feeling a bit shabby now seeing the request for a Mass Effect Nexus right below...

This is actually a continuation of a discussion that arised on the NWN2 section of the Bioware Social Network recently:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/172/index/9196246/4#9384659

I'm personally very much for it and I already saw Dark0ne would be willing if the interest was there. There is already a place to get NWN mods, which is the Vault at IGN, but recently worries came up about the future of it. The main problem is that the NWN2 Vault depends on one person managing everything from site features to managing the uploads, advertising, etc, and recently there have been days where it looked dead just because the single person just doesn't have the time to look at submissions etc. The other problem is the old age of the place, it's not exactly user-friendly anymore IMO and overrun by spambots. Which is quite a shame, because I think that the activity of the modding community highly depends on if they perceive a place as active or dead. Personally, my visits to the place always depresses me. I did a lot of stuff for the game myself and at this time always think "why bother, nothing happens anyway".

This is especially sad because the Neverwinter Nights games are so extremely moddable, in many aspects more than the Bethesda games even when you look at modules and multiplayer worlds, and there's still life in it - especially NWN2 is still a diamond in the rough.

There's also already a busload of content for the games, even if only the modders who are still around would upload their stuff to the Nexus there'd be a lot of activity right away. But what I really hope is that a move to a Nexus site would increase the interest of modders again, simply for the ease of use, good advertising possibilities and all the other features the Nexus is famous for.

Of course at this time the NWN Vault still exists, but my feeling is that Maximus there might even be a bit relieved once the whole NWN world is no longer depending on his day-to-day availability anymore.

Why I opened this thread is mainly because I'd be interested in what users think about it. Dark0ne already said he might do it if there was enough interest, so I thought I'd check how much interest there is in higher frequented places than a hidden-away thread on the Bioboards.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... particularly since a nwn 3 is supposedly in the works

Where did you see this!?! Who's working on this? This could be great, or this could be WoW set in Abeir-Toril. :unsure:

Oh man... just googled for it and found this Wiki Article:

Neverwinter is an upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game in development by Cryptic Studios for the Microsoft Windows platform and is currently scheduled for a "late" 2012 release.[1] Based in the fictional Dungeons & Dragons city of Neverwinter, the game was originally scheduled to be released as a crossmedia event coinciding with the release of an upcoming trilogy of books by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore as well as an upcoming tabletop game from Wizards of the Coast.[3] Neverwinter was announced on August 23, 2010. Neverwinter is a standalone game and not part of the previous Neverwinter Nights series.[4]

The game was first publicly displayed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 in which many details about the game were revealed.[citation needed] Due to Cryptic's acquistition by Perfect World Entertainment, Neverwinter was delayed to 2012.[8] On October 5, 2011, Perfect World announced that Neverwinter has shifted from the co-operative multiplayer game that was announced the previous year into a free-to-play MMO. This further delayed the game to the back end of 2012.[2]

Anything being developed by a studio that keeps getting bought-and-sold spells trouble, and "free-to-play" means "immersion-breaking ad-supported". :sad:

I'd dearly love to see a NWN Nexus. Besides the Elder Scrolls, they're my favorite games of all time.

@Thandal: I was so excited about the new Neverwinter, but when I found out it was going to be a co-op, I had a bad feeling about it. Now that they're saying it's going to be an MMO, I have an even worse feeling about it. To me, one of the greatest things about NWN1 and 2 is that they could be single player.

Just a couple of clarifications:

1. There is no NWN3 being worked on. There is a game called Neverwinter Online which is at very early stages of development and will be a F2P MMO. NWN3 it is not.
  2. The Vault is not going anywhere right now...it's current state only has one person working on it so it seems less active. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We have confirmation from IGN on this.

Just so people don't start with crazy rumors. NWN2 is still active and there are several module projects in the works. NWN2 is the closest we will get to NWN3.

Well I’m all for it. I and a bunch of other builders have some really well done NWN2 mods coming out very soon and if we could release them here that would be a blessing, not to mention a good thing for us and the players. :biggrin: Edited by alupinu