[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

ianpatt

I admit I never believed SKSE64 would ever make any progress, but I was wrong. I am very glad this is finally happening - imagine all the wonderful things that's gonna happen to SSE now... Oh man!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far in my testing things are going pretty well. Functions are doing what they are supposed to do.

But I've already found one fairly important problem. The co-save file isn't being generated for saves made through Papyrus. That means if you try to load a save made automatically by mods like "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" all of the SKSE-based registrations will be erased. And these sorts of problems are why people shouldn't be creating new mods or trying to port mods from legendary edition yet except for testing.

As someone who has been saying that SKSE64 would be released and there was no reason for despair, I now say slow down and don't get too excited. There's still some work to be done. No one should be publishing any SKSE64 mods yet.

I agree completely I was just curious if anyone tested it due to it being released for testing purposes as I've no experience doing so myself and seeing that people appear to have tested SkyUi and such other mods. Racemenu is one I'm looking forward to when it allows custom race mods and such to work but I agree patients is absolutely needed for these things at least now rumors and such can be put to rest hopefully...

Just a small overview about working Oldrim mods with SKSE64 according to my personal tests, and some words about my last findings for an alternate method of getting key input events recognized from the game - before SKSE was released:

A lot of Oldrim mods do already work fine - as long as they don't use a SKSE DLL Plugin! Also they need to be converted (BSAs, ESPs, etc), but then a lot of them already work without issues so far (still testing). Their MCM menus work too. One of the most essential things we need is now a SKSE64 version of PapyrusUtil, especially storageutil.dll to make mods like Frostfall and Campfire work. The SSE versions are glitching out with SKSE64 and SkyUI installed because there are left-over code parts relying on SKSE. And the Oldrim versions work fine - except profile saving/reading due to the lack of a working storageutil.dll

But an alternate method is to use the Oldrim Hypothermia mod (not PLUS version! Needs PapyrusUtil too) and e.g. the SSE version of simple camping tools or similar mod from Oldrim. Ineed, Wet and Cold from Oldrim are working great with SSE and SKSE64! Also Wearable Lanterns need storagutil, and the SSE version starts glitching with SKSE64 due to the same reasons already mentioned. Most mods from Chesko need wether to be rebuild for SSE including storageutil.dll for 64bit, OR remove any SKSE dependant code blocks from them, so they don't interfere with it for now.

I'm going to start a list with all working mods I can find, cathegorized in three parts: Fully working, Working with minor adjustments, not working - so users can go that way for now.

Since it is an ALPHA version of SKSE, it is already very functional and can be used for a playthrough when matching the mentioned "rules". I'm right now playing with about 500 mods, half of them graphical stuff, other half gameplay changers and some world extensions. Besides the Hypothermia and anothe camping mod I use all the above mentioned mods from Oldrim and I have not a single problem so far. Savegames are working, no errors in logs. Also the UI widgets are working, i.e. A matter of time, Ineed, Immersive Hud - and Loot and Degradation. Also working fine is the Simple Locational Damage System, and a lot of others.

Shortly before SKSE64 has beend released I figured a way to get key input events into the game by a modified favoritesmenu file, which is written in Java. I was able to get all key inputs recognized in the game and hotkey really everything, including full equipsets - no bugs! I was working on an option to create equipsets on-the-fly direclty using the favorites menu and save them from the menu mask. These were written into an external config file. Well, hotkeys working from the whole keyboard, and the writing and reading of external config files work too. That was the base for my to create a framework based on simple cfg files which provides many features of firing up Papyrus functions from Java and use the keyboard for whatever you want.

But the main priority then for me was to get MCM menus working - or better saying: Use this "new" way to let mods write down their config from the menu mask right into external cfg files. This would have provided us a way to get MCM back, or at least an alternate way of uding it.

However, the read/write for the cfg files was the thing I haven't finished yet - and the framework still was in a state of an idea. And then came SKSE64 ALPHA, which made the idea redundant at the end. Also my JAva skills are really not enough to finish something like this by myself.. However, I'm very glad about SKSE64 now being available. I hope the essential tools will be provided for x64 soon. And a big thanks to the SKSE team and everyone supporting this!!!

Racemenu kinda works. No sculpting and other goodies, but the sliders are there.

Still testing things. (no, not porting it or releasing things)

If you want to test things out, highly recommended you make a clean version of SSE and test there.

Things will break, you'll have to use loose files for some things, etc.

You don't want that messing up a working install.

(I just renamed my working SSE folder and reinstalled the game, made a new profile in NMM and had to tell it to delete every single mod for that profile.

That took time)

This isnt the time for people to make lists, or demands on what mods they want ported. The alpha is out, your anxiety about it never releasing can settle down now. The time for this to be functional enough for mods will be tiny compared to the amount of time it took for the alpha. The more people making lists/demands, the less people will want to port their stuff in a timely manner. Happy modding everyone, we have the script extender :)

Reporting a problem. I'm not sure if it's a SKSE64 or SkyUI issue, but here we go: Custom UI elements that allow for mouse input don't fully work in SE. Examples are the list menu from UILIB_1 and the radial menu from UI Extensions that is used in EFF. Mouse pointer isn't visible when one of these menus is on screen, and elements can't be highlighted or clicked on. They can still be navigated with the cursor keys and selected with Enter, though.

Note that the list menus integrated in the MCM do fully work (for instance, when choosing SkyUI's icon theme), but the identical looking menu from UILIB (which is a modders resource derived from SkyUI) does not.