New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54682423.

CaporegimeMarcus wrote: The main thing I suggest you get fixed is the links for all the mods. I lot of mod links have been posted on reddit and youtube and plenty of people will get annoyed that they no longer work. Now I know that the redesign is essentially still in testing, so the address isn't the same as the old site, so this might not actually be an issue. Aside from that, good job!

The rd is just a subdomain. When the redesign replaces the old site, the rd won't be added to the urls. All of those will be the same.

The original dimensions were fine from the old site.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope you will leave the old design as an option. The old one is way better and less cluttered. Don't force things down our throats. The " Don't fix what's not broken" is exactly the argument I'd use if I had to describe the new look. Utterly horrible. Edited by piotrmil

Everyone on this forum complaining needs to get a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese" and read it thoroughly. For goodness sake, you are acting like 12 year olds! or like our Government, which is worse.

You would think the Nexus site(s) were somehow crucial to your existence ..... snowflakes!

In response to post #54694978.

bchick1 wrote: Everyone on this forum complaining needs to get a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese" and read it thoroughly. For goodness sake, you are acting like 12 year olds! or like our Government, which is worse.
You would think the Nexus site(s) were somehow crucial to your existence ..... snowflakes!

Riiight.. people shouldn't raise concerns or criticism, they should shut up and take it. Way to go there mate.

In response to post #54687313. #54687368, #54688448, #54689503, #54689623, #54689648, #54689763, #54691158, #54691163, #54691703, #54692533, #54693803, #54694143 are all replies on the same post.

Mr. Dave wrote: What the bloody hell is with the relentless spam pop up ad on the new layout? I cannot even log into the new layout due to it having one single overlay covering the entire page that is a link to spam ads.
Does this need to be reported as a bug too? Or should I just add y'all to ABP's list?

EDIT: RE: the new layout. I know Win10 is nothing more than a huge phone app commercial, but did you guys really have to make the new layout look just like every other lame, shitty phone app out there? Seriously. Have some innovative thought.
Dark0ne wrote: Can you provide a screenshot? We don't use pop-up ads at all.
Mr. Dave wrote: It isn't working as a visible thing to print screen of I'm afraid. The mouse pointer is a hand icon, meaning it is hovering over a selectable object no matter where it is on the page, meaning an invisible PNG is being used as a button.
This is the link it takes me to.
http://www.cokeworlds2017.com/?campaign=Curse
I'm gonna pop open a new window and take a shot of it though in case it shows something you know shouldn't be there. :D One sec...
HERE is a screenshot, but it doesn't show the pointer as a hand when in a non button location. When I try to click Log In, or anywhere for that matter, that Coke gaming convention page pops up.
uninventive wrote: This is happening to me as well. The entire site is a link to an ad. I couldn't even click on the banner element that provides a link to the old design.

Completely unusable.

Using Google Chrome v61
uninventive wrote: And this is the link I get when I try to click on the VIEW NEW LAYOUT button above this page.

http://www.cokeworlds2017.com/?campaign=Curse
Dark0ne wrote: It's an issue with an ad provider we thought we had sorted. They'll need to be the ones to fix it, but they're West Coast US so probably not even awake yet.

Yes, this really pisses me off too considering the commission they take for their services.

Sorry about that. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: Doesn't supporter status remove ads anyway?

I'm sure I'll be forgiven for using adblock regardless, but given my assumption that being a supporter means that you no longer see ads, I find it surprising you would be encountering this issue at all, considering you are quite clearly a supporter...
shawntheguitarist wrote: I can duplicate this. No matter which Nexus sub-site I visit, no matter which link I attempt to click, even trying to click on the Nexus logo in the header, it will always launch the League of Legends Coke ad. It's impossible to navigate the new layout at all currently. What a disaster rollout this has become.
Mr. Dave wrote: Well, at least they are just using unscrupulous tactics to get clicks, as opposed to the folks over at Deviant Art, who allowed full on virii through the ads on their site. I have images of it happening as they were claiming it was fixed uploaded there lol.

Dark0ne, I'm in Phoenix. I could hop a buss and go kick 'em in the feet to wake them up if you'd like. :) Of course, I may not stop kicking once they do wake up...

Dark0ne wrote:
Dark0ne, I'm in Phoenix. I could hop a buss and go kick 'em in the feet to wake them up if you'd like. :) Of course, I may not stop kicking once they do wake up...

I wish I could punch the entire ad industry in the gut, to be fair. Think you can do it?
pacfish wrote: If you're so anti ads, why have them? Pay for the site? sure... But why not mine crypto with the the non premium users' cpus?
Mr. Dave wrote: Yup, sure thing! Lemme go wake up my attorney, Mr. Mossberg. :P

EDIT: Looks like pacfish totally missed the point lol. Reading comprehension. A li'l dab'll do ya. ;)
pacfish wrote: Not sure what I missed but if you wanted to kick someone, tell me who it is, I'm already here.
I have my own complaints about the ad situation right now and I've voiced my opinion and that I'll be removing this site from my exceptions in my ad blocker. I don't have the $2 to give for a lifetime without ads, I wish I did but I need at least something of mine to make money (everything's for sale, even my time).

Oh, the original point of this particular thread was that the ad had completely taken over the entire page. I had to use an old bookmark that got me to the old layout and then log in. I couldn't click anything on the new layout due to a single, huge png image covering it to be one great big button leading to that advertiser's link. It did it again after I had closed out all browsers and opened them again.
It isn't that we are against ads, it's that we are against an advertiser making the entire site a link to their ads. That's worth a pound of flesh Ala Se7en. ;)
... Come to think of it, it's been 16 long years since I've sent anyone to the hospital. Putting an advertiser in a sleeping bag so I can beat other advertisers with him like a flail would be fun. :)

In response to post #54671943. #54672703, #54677478, #54678053, #54681883, #54683388, #54683578, #54686488, #54686998, #54687253, #54687418, #54687503, #54688283, #54689173, #54691103, #54691838, #54692348, #54692833, #54694268 are all replies on the same post.

Pegasix wrote: Can we please just have an option to stick with old layout? I personally just don't like the looks of this design.
SharraShimada wrote: Maintaining 2 Designs is a waste of time, because its work, that wont repay in any way. So, the old design will perish some day. And yeah, its always hard to change to something different, and leaving style, used, and attached to, behind. And yes, the new design looks... boring? Just another flat, tile-design, as seen on nearly every other crap-site in the internet the last 2 years.
But i must admit, the primary function of a mod-page is to deliver info. And they come in form of pictures most of the time.
You may explain, what your armor-mod does, how it looks, and where are the belt is attached... but no one will really imagine int. Put a picture on it, and kabooom.
And thats, what this design is made for.
Personally, i would had made some stuff the other way. But i´m not in charge. If have to, and i can, live with that.
pintocat wrote: I don't mind if they don't maintain the old one, I'll use a buggy one until the new one is fixed
Jokerine wrote: I personally understand that maintaining two different versions of the site may be too much work, and this will probably be an "adapt or die" situation. But, well, if the site is switched over for good and we're all forced to use the new redesign I'll most likely stop using the site altogether, or only visit very, very rarely. I have a choice in this matter, thankfully. I'll just take death :laugh:
kn1ghtfall wrote: Once again I have agree with Jokerine.
Foxia wrote: HEAR, HEAR!!! I must agree with Jokerine myself. Death it will be as well for myself.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: YEAH! Everyone over to Bethesdanet!

Oh wait...
Crimsomrider wrote: I feel the same way Jokerine.

I spoke to a few friends about this design and not one of them likes it. One actually hates it so much he threw a tantrum.

I really hope for some visual and design improvements until the final launch day which reduces the cluster**** of ugliness and information and scales down the UI, which I offered my suggestions on, otherwise I'll just go away because I really can't stand this new design. I am really trying hard forcing myself to suffer through it, but it's just impossible and frustrating. On a mobile the site is PERFECT! It looks good, it feels good... except the mod pages which are ugly as hell no matter where you view them from. But it's just not worth sacrificing something that was perfect in order to make a mobile version more better.

I'll keep on surviving until the final launch day and see what changes happen from now till then. All I can do until then is just offer my opinion on the matter and like you said... adapt or die.

I am forced to death however because I really can't stand another Bethesda.net lookalike.

I am under no illusion that my opinion or me quitting matters at all, after all I'm just another random peon who already got milked for money and will be forgotten after a day of departure... but I would like to remain on this site... hopefully... :(

#SaveNexus
fredlaus wrote: I had thumbs up yesterday - today I feel like I lost my best friend.

Changes are OK to me but then you have to show up something entirely new - some braver stuff than this.

Come on guys and gals you are a resourceful site with millions of fans contributing.

What happened?
goatsnatcher2 wrote: Ha, I went to bed last night thinking what the hell have they done that for, then I get up this morning to my son asking what the hell have they done that for.

It's not that people don't like change, it's more, people don't like change when unnecessary or makes thing's worse.
menathradiel wrote: @SharraShimada: It is normal for a website to have a desktop and mobile version - and I know this because I maintain several - so your point is rather invalid.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: @menathradiel
Yeah, it was perfectly normal, back in 2010 before responsive design really took off and became a standard.

Ironically enough, 2010 was right about where the Nexus' previous design was stuck.
menathradiel wrote: All right. (that would be why all the major websites have a mobile version, because that is a thing of the past.... but shhhhh, not your point, is it.) What part of this design is "responsive" to me? The part where it's arbitrarily decided that my description layout is not good enough as I have coded it and decides to break it?

Don't get me wrong. I'll get used to the new design, but I'll also have to spend time making my mod page layout compatible with PC users again, which is insane when you think about the fact that this site is for people who use mods for PC games.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: The entire site is responsive. Which is why the layout changes to accommodate your display's width, which is an incredibly common strategy for dealing with many different users across many different devices, and it's far easier to design and maintain than two or more separate designs under potentially multiple different subdomains.

Interestingly enough, you could get two different designs entirely by using the very same media queries and scripting that is used to make a single design responsive. Since you're apparently a web designer/developer/maintainer, you surely know that this is all that a responsive design is... one that conforms to the device that it's being viewed on.

The request here isn't one that can easily be accommodated by that though. The request is to keep two COMPLETELY different designs live and maintained because some people don't like the new one, which you should know is an unreasonable request considering this design is not only so radically different from the previous, but also adequately accommodates both mobile and desktop devices.

The request is made even more unreasonable because of your own stated issue of corrupted mod page layout. It has been known since they opened up this redesign to mod authors that mod description formatting doesn't translate well between the two designs and many pages need to be updated to once again conform to the author's vision. This works both ways, as making edits to the page on either the old design or the redesign results in the opposing design being broken in various ways. To fix this, one of these designs would have to be changed regardless, in order to create format parity between the two, and there would still be various issues caused by the change in colors and overall design philosophy that would cause unintended results based simply on the author's own preference for one version of the site over the other.

Keeping both sites live and optional is not a wise idea.
menathradiel wrote: "Keeping both sites live and optional is not a wise idea"

Because most people would choose the old design, and we can't have that.
pacfish wrote: The layout of text is the biggest issue I have. The reason the old site was so great was because the information
was in a confined spot. Typically a page would only have access to about this much room per line to get their
point across before a new line was created. It makes for a much easier read on screens.

The new site has it's perks. But it is also missing some old features. Things are not where they used to be. And
content is disrupted. That is why so many people dislike the new site. They want something that works. They are
the stable release users. The bleeding edge are the people using MO2 on SSE with SKSE64. The stuff doesn't
work 100% of the time. But the creators need feedback or things will go unchanged.

Our disgust with the new site is voiced because we have criticisms. And they should be heard because ultimately
it can lead to competing website that does it better. People need to be able to give proper criticism and the
maintainers need to be able to understand what it is we are saying. With the Steam workshop, the adult themed
LL site, the drama surrounding the Nexus, Bethsda's creation club, etc the last thing I think the modding community
wants is another splinter.

The site is too buggy in it's current status to go live. There are also missing features that we have grown
accustomed to. Like text fitting in a a width that is readable. If you view this specific post on a mobile platform,
It won't look right. But on a computer, it should read much easier than any of the other posts at full resolution.
Lets say 1080p because I don't know what the site uses and I know that is what I'm writing it on.

I think it's awesome that the site is mobile friendly but that's not where the audience is. I'll watch a youtube video
on mobile but I have a hard time responding to comments of videos on my phone. That said I'm not going to read
a mod description or browse the forums of the Nexus on my phone. I do honestly believe that this update was
for moderators, admins, and active modders awho made the request for a mobile version of the site so they can
respond to a forum more quickly. But I think the correct solution would have been to make an app for the two
environments that can use the information it gets from the server and presents the user with an enjoyable
experience while viewing content on their mobile devices. This could have been a web based app or the
traditional app from the app store. Yes it's more work but if you do it right, you only have to do it once. AND the
content is still accessible where it matters to the majority of the users: on a monitor larger than your hand.

It would be cool to see what this looks like on a 16k display. Guess I'll ask Linus if he still has that ridiculous setup
and see if he'll view a dynamic website like this one.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: @pacfish
It looks the same on a 16k display because the site's content has a maximum width of 1280 pixels. A little wider than I usually use for my sites (I generally follow the 960 grid system), but not exactly uncommon. It doesn't scale to match ridiculous resolutions or aspect ratios, though the background image does.

Because of the responsive nature of the site, you COULD choose to view it snapped to half the width of your screen or otherwise restrict the width of your browser window yourself if the width of the content bothers you too much. Not saying that it's ideal, but it is a way to nullify the issue on your end. I do accept the issue with ultra-wide text displays being less readable than properly wrapped paragraphs. There is plenty of documentation supporting this fact.

And of course people can post their opinions and concerns. That's the entire point of this being open to everyone in the final weeks of development. That being said, I try to correct incorrect information when I see it, and I try to explain why things may not be as easy or as logical as others seem to think them to be.

Sometimes, decisions have to be made. It's not always as simple as just leaving both options on the table forever just to appeal to everyone's nostalgia. There's a lot of valid criticism of this new design, as well as a lot of emotion thinly veiled as criticism. Explaining why the latter isn't feasible is perfectly valid, no matter how much certain individuals may want to completely ignore those explanations.
pacfish wrote: Thanks for the info on the larger resolution screens.

Yeah I can adjust the screen but even at half the resolution, using Windows snapping tools, on an ultrawide the sight layout it much too wide though I don't get a background image (which is important for realizing which version of skyrim some link took me to -- doesn't even matter on the new site because the se logo is covered at every resolution). On a 'normal' 16:9 1080p screen it's also too wide unless I also use window's snapping tools to cut it in half. Portrait mode almost works.

But again, who is the site for? phone modders or pc modders?
pintocat wrote: "@SharraShimada: It is normal for a website to have a desktop and mobile version - and I know this because I maintain several - so your point is rather invalid."

Are your website as complicated as this one?

I agree with Jokerine. UI is crucial to people, and if we can't use the website efficiently, then we're not going to use it as often. It' simple as that.

In response to post #54694848.

piotrmil wrote: I do hope you will leave the old design as an option. The old one is way better and less cluttered. Don't force things down our throats. The " Don't fix what's not broken" is exactly the argument I'd use if I had to describe the new look. Utterly horrible.

Totally agreed +1 Edited by Exalerion