New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54898918.

CluckenDip wrote: I love the aesthetic. It will take some time to get used to, but you folks will make it better I'm sure. :)

Just one small gripe, I hate how the sample background image on the site is constantly Skyrim and not whatever game you're viewing. Is this because since it is replaced by Ads, you guys don't bother changing the background image or something?

Anyways, thanks!

The background image gripe will be fixed once the new design replaces the old.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54895693. #54896418, #54898518 are all replies on the same post.

bigd4450 wrote: I felt so uncomfortable with the new Nexus. It just seems to be to "fiddly", push this button to push this button to push this button to find what your looking for. Old way, click here to see more and scroll, click to the next page when you get to the bottom. I'm kind of an old guy and I see the trend all over the place to get more info and more options out in front of "the people". But, that being said, I always tried to live my life the way I was taught, the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. And boy do we seem to be veering away from that idea.
fireundubh wrote: "push this button to push this button to push this button to find what your looking for"

What are you talking about? If anything, the navigation path is actually shorter than the old site.
bigd4450 wrote: What do I mean? Well I go into Skyrim SE want to see what's going on with mods. Well, this page just shows me todays mods. Wait a minute, I can see todays, this weeks, popular (30 days), popular (all time), trending, etc. I just want to see some mods, scroll to the top, okay a drop down, there's mods. What am I looking for, a ton of choices, there it is "Browse all mods". Oh wait, do I want to sort them by time, when they were published, or maybe description, nope, just want to look at some mods, losing interest, too much B.S. going on.

Old way, pull up Skyrim SE, oh, there's recent mods, do I want to see more, sure. Click here to see more, scroll to the bottom, page 2, continue, pretty easy.

I realize that what ever I say here will make no difference what so ever. It's just a trend that I see and really don't like, buttons cluttering up pages, spend more time messing with the buttons, (and half don't work) instead of just going where your trying to go. Just my humble opinion, and opinions are like ----- we've all got one.

Clicking the "Explore all mods" on the front page gives you the same list that you had in the old design. With the new design, the things that were hidden away are now more visible and easier to use, making life easier for those who want to get more refined results. Life for those who follow the KISS principle remains the same; press a button to see all recent mods, scroll down, page 2, continue.

I'm really sorry, but all in all, after using the new layout every day, I'm not happy with the changes, so I'm going to stick with the old layout as long as you will have it up.

In response to post #54895693. #54896418, #54898518, #54900213 are all replies on the same post.

bigd4450 wrote: I felt so uncomfortable with the new Nexus. It just seems to be to "fiddly", push this button to push this button to push this button to find what your looking for. Old way, click here to see more and scroll, click to the next page when you get to the bottom. I'm kind of an old guy and I see the trend all over the place to get more info and more options out in front of "the people". But, that being said, I always tried to live my life the way I was taught, the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. And boy do we seem to be veering away from that idea.
fireundubh wrote: "push this button to push this button to push this button to find what your looking for"

What are you talking about? If anything, the navigation path is actually shorter than the old site.
bigd4450 wrote: What do I mean? Well I go into Skyrim SE want to see what's going on with mods. Well, this page just shows me todays mods. Wait a minute, I can see todays, this weeks, popular (30 days), popular (all time), trending, etc. I just want to see some mods, scroll to the top, okay a drop down, there's mods. What am I looking for, a ton of choices, there it is "Browse all mods". Oh wait, do I want to sort them by time, when they were published, or maybe description, nope, just want to look at some mods, losing interest, too much B.S. going on.

Old way, pull up Skyrim SE, oh, there's recent mods, do I want to see more, sure. Click here to see more, scroll to the bottom, page 2, continue, pretty easy.

I realize that what ever I say here will make no difference what so ever. It's just a trend that I see and really don't like, buttons cluttering up pages, spend more time messing with the buttons, (and half don't work) instead of just going where your trying to go. Just my humble opinion, and opinions are like ----- we've all got one.
Zaldiir wrote: Clicking the "Explore all mods" on the front page gives you the same list that you had in the old design. With the new design, the things that were hidden away are now more visible and easier to use, making life easier for those who want to get more refined results. Life for those who follow the KISS principle remains the same; press a button to see all recent mods, scroll down, page 2, continue.

Oh wait' date=' do I want to sort them by time, when they were published, or maybe description [...'] too much B.S. going on.

Sounds like a personal problem.

buttons cluttering up pages' date=' spend more time messing with the buttons, (and half don't work)[/quote']
Not really. On the new site, if you click "Mods" or "Browse all mods" at the top, you get a better layout of the old "Files" or "Browse files" page, which, by the way, has a sidebar with a long advanced search form, of which the most used options are now simple dropdowns in the new layout. Talk about buttons...

Compare:

- Browse all mods (New) vs. Browse files (Old)
- Recent activity (New) vs. New recently (Old)
- Top files (New) vs. Top files (Old)
- Mods of the month (New) vs. Files of the month (Old)
- View all images (New) vs. View images (Old)

Anyone objective can plainly see the new layouts are less cluttered, easier to navigate, and easier to read.
Edited by fireundubh

In response to post #54898918. #54900158 is also a reply to the same post.

CluckenDip wrote: I love the aesthetic. It will take some time to get used to, but you folks will make it better I'm sure. :)

Just one small gripe, I hate how the sample background image on the site is constantly Skyrim and not whatever game you're viewing. Is this because since it is replaced by Ads, you guys don't bother changing the background image or something?

Anyways, thanks!
Zaldiir wrote: The background image gripe will be fixed once the new design replaces the old.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! :D

In response to post #54895693. #54896418, #54898518, #54900213, #54900778 are all replies on the same post.

Zaldiir wrote: Clicking the "Explore all mods" on the front page gives you the same list that you had in the old design. With the new design, the things that were hidden away are now more visible and easier to use, making life easier for those who want to get more refined results. Life for those who follow the KISS principle remains the same; press a button to see all recent mods, scroll down, page 2, continue.
fireundubh wrote:
Oh wait' date=' do I want to sort them by time, when they were published, or maybe description [...'] too much B.S. going on.

buttons cluttering up pages' date=' spend more time messing with the buttons, (and half don't work)[/quote']
Not really. On the new site, if you click "Mods" or "Browse all mods" at the top, you get a better layout of the old "Files" or "Browse files" page, which, by the way, has a sidebar with a long advanced search form, of which the most used options are now simple dropdowns in the new layout. Talk about buttons...

Compare:

Anyone objective can plainly see the new layouts are less cluttered, easier to navigate, and easier to read.

Easier to read ?

I can read USSEP's description in the old design, but not so in the new design because most of the text is faded to make way for the image. This mod however, like many other mods, cannot be represented by an image.

It would be interesting to get a check mark or some other form of indication for mods you have already installed on the browse page, not dissimilar to how it is on the Steam Workshop page, or you're current notification of a mod update since previous download. If possible too, a time stamp would be convenient as well. Edited by justabunchorandomnumber

In response to post #54895693. #54896418, #54898518, #54900213, #54900778, #54901488 are all replies on the same post.

fireundubh wrote:

Compare:

axonis wrote:

Easier to read ?

I can read USSEP's description in the old design, but not so in the new design because most of the text is faded to make way for the image. This mod however, like many other mods, cannot be represented by an image.

I can read USSEP's description in the old design' date=' but not so in the new design because most of the text is faded to make way for the image.[/quote']
By easier to read, I was referring to the font size. On a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, I shouldn't feel like I have to squint.

And, personally, I don't need a wall of text to determine whether I want to learn more about a mod.

The faded text is a good thing and acts as an "effective" character limit, hopefully encouraging modders to be concise and not include extraneous details.

The fixed-size result tiles also prevent modders from abusing the length of the brief description text to expand the size of their tiles and unfairly draw your attention away from other mods. As a modder, I see this as something that helps level the playing field.
Edited by fireundubh

In response to post #54895693. #54896418, #54898518, #54900213, #54900778, #54901488, #54902628 are all replies on the same post.

fireundubh wrote:

Compare:

axonis wrote:

Easier to read ?

fireundubh wrote:
I can read USSEP's description in the old design' date=' but not so in the new design because most of the text is faded to make way for the image.[/quote']
By easier to read, I was referring to the font size. On a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, I shouldn't feel like I have to squint.

And, personally, I don't need a wall of text to determine whether I want to learn more about a mod.

The faded text is a good thing and acts as an "effective" character limit, hopefully encouraging modders to be concise and not include extraneous details.

The fixed-size result tiles also prevent modders from abusing the length of the brief description text to expand the size of their tiles and unfairly draw your attention away from other mods. As a modder, I see this as something that helps level the playing field.

Comparing a 54-word paragraph to a wall of text is exactly why mod authors have such a serious problem with users who refuse to read instructions.

Not every mod has a graphical function. I'd rather trade that huge thumbnail for text; losing the "oh no, wall of text" users would be a most welcome bonus.

In response to post #54877533. #54878113, #54879838, #54881788, #54884183 are all replies on the same post.

aryankrieger wrote: Quote: 18% of our traffic comes from mobile.

Create an App..
SharraShimada wrote: What for? An "App" is just a minimal browser dedicated to one website. If you need an app to be succesful, your users are too "dumb" to use a real browser.
Sorry, but not everything needs an own app.

There are things, making sense, and others not. Nexus as an app makes no sense.
People browsing from mobiles are just looking around, and maybe, they will find a mod, they want to use later. But if the mobile uses an app, and later you use the desktop version, completly different looking, some users may not find, what they are looking for.

One rule for web-design is: keep it consistent.
aryankrieger wrote: What for? To make everybody happy, the 18% mobile user and the 82% desktop user. And btw i`m not to "dumb" to use both... when you are i`m sorry.
Ethreon wrote: Or they could use the resources spent on making some app on making a better website.
aryankrieger wrote: In the moment they use most of thier resources spent on making the website working for mobile platforms. When they let some of them create an app for the mobile user they have enough resources to made a good website even better.

Maybe not too 'dumb' to use both but certainly not 'smart' enough for fashioning a grammatically correct sentence. No offense. Cheers!