An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55230978. #55231898, #55236798 are all replies on the same post.

raxmar wrote: so many people excited for this new vortex but how about installing allllllllllllllllllllll the mods you had on vortex?

not so excited now
are you
Ethreon wrote: Nobody had any mods on vortex mate.
VengefulGiblets wrote: fwooosh~

The 30 pre-alpha testers and developers have had to test installing mods on Vortex, so they’ve had to have mods on Vortex.

In response to post #55230978. #55231898, #55236798, #55236858 are all replies on the same post.

raxmar wrote: so many people excited for this new vortex but how about installing allllllllllllllllllllll the mods you had on vortex?

not so excited now
are you
Ethreon wrote: Nobody had any mods on vortex mate.
VengefulGiblets wrote: fwooosh~
ExEBoss wrote: The 30 pre-alpha testers and developers have had to test installing mods on Vortex, so they’ve had to have mods on Vortex.

VengefulGiblets - he wasn't making a joke. Poor attempt, 2/10

Sure, the alpha testers have mods, but he's not talking about those. Lad has completely missed the points where it was specifically said we will have an import option from MO/NMM to Vortex.

In response to post #54979568. #54980923, #55054108, #55212153 are all replies on the same post.

tomsite wrote: Geez guys, Vortex isn't even released in it's Alpha-State and the amount of users knowing best is hitting the roof.

We know pretty much nothing about Vortex, we don't know if it will be a virtual folder like in MO or if it will dump all mods in Data/.
We don't know anything about it's compatibility with NMM and if the data can be migrated. Heck, we don't even know if this was ever a discussion in the development team of Vortex. So hold your horses until a release of Vortex and then you can start whining, complaining or even much better, offer some constructive critic with which the developers can actually work.

I personally like following features of MO and hope they will be available in Vortex:
1. Virtual Folder. if i close MO i have a squeaky clean Data folder and could start a game completely without Mods if i want. it is the fastest "Out-of-the-box".
2. Each mod is isolated from all other mods.
3. That archives and plugins are seperated from each other. I can put a plugin at index 01 and the archive at index 254 if i please. This solves many issues with conflicting files.

If these features are present in Vortex, i will be happy already. If not it would be sad, however i am quite capable to also mod the living hell out of the game without any mod-manager. it is just not as comfortable.
axonis wrote: Just because you may get to see a filename in your Data folder doesn't mean that your mod manger is dumping that file there. It may be a symbolic link which can be easily purged, leaving the original file intact. The original file may be well organized in its own separate folder, outside of Data.

The problem with a so-called "clean" Data folder is that your mod's author cannot support you if he needs to see and analyze what the game sees.
DragoonPreston wrote: From what I've managed to gather, MO's "Virtual Folder" Is an entirely separate 32 bit file system. That caused it to be incompatible with most other programs, and introduced a lot of limitations to what it could do. Don't get me wrong what it was capable of doing it did great, but at the cost of all the features a 64 bit file system brings.

Because Skyrim was a 32 bit game this wasn't a problem, but Skyrim SE is a 64 bit game and therefore is incompatible at its most base level with the file system MO uses.

Vortex, from what I've read and what I know as an IT guy. Is using a VERY powerful system built into modern file systems. "Links". Links let you point a piece of software to a file as if the file were in the folder it's looking at. The files don't even have to be on the same drive if you do it right. The reason it will look like files are in your data folder is because "File Explorer" is a piece of software.
CzBuCHi wrote: I dont think, that migration from NMM / MO is needed - how many modders will actually use it? me definetly not - specially when installing all my mods takses about a hour (dont count downloading because i have all archives already downloaded)

As i understand, VFS will be essentially two batch files (one creates links, second delete links) with will be generated after each mod install and executed before / after game start / end.

@DragonPreston. MO2 is 64 bit. I use it with Skyrim SE and Fallout 4.

In response to post #55213308.

Khumak wrote: Glad to hear we're getting close to an actual release. MO2 has been plodding along for me so far but there are some glitches I just haven't found workarounds for yet and I suspect Vortex won't have those issues. That said, even a glitchy MO2 is better than NMM for me. I could never go back to NMM after having used both MO and MO2. Definitely looking forward to trying Vortex.

I do like MO's VFS, but I understand why that method wasn't used in Vortex. As long as it's relatively painless to nuke my entire data folder and get a fresh version with my current mod list without having to reinstall anything I think the new VFS system sounds like it will be fine (and probably less compatibility hassles).

MO2 - Version 2.0.7 works quite well, except the crash when you move something from overwrite to a folder and launch the game after that. Sometimes MO2 will crash. But thats the only issue with this version

In response to post #55255198. #55289738 is also a reply to the same post.

MinigunKiller911 wrote: When Vortex will come out? I can't wait to try it out and compare it with Nexus Mod Manager
VoidsShadow wrote: "Not long now!"

I guess that Vortex would be more convenient for end-users Edited by MinigunKiller911