Alternate Identity- Are We The Same People Online?

Fkemman11

It's getting to the point that it simply doesn't matter WHAT you say, someone will find a way to be offended by it....... That seems like WAY too much work for me, so, I take what people say at face value, and fully EXPECT that some folks are going to have different opinions than me. It's truly unfortunate that there are so many folks out there that when the come across someone that doesn't agree with them 100% (inevitable....) they start calling them names, accusing them of all sorts of heinous behavior, etc..... A lot like politics in the US these days........ Makes me want to jump in the ol' time machine, and go back to the 50's.......

I am also very careful about what kind/how much personal information I give away on the net....... But, it's quite likely that folks could come up with just about everything they wanted to know with a simple google search. I can already find WAY more information about myself on the net, than I have EVER put out there myself..... I find it..... disturbing......

Oh well. Welcome to the information age. :D

I think the reason is that we don't see faces and some people can start abusing that, it will end up with you never know how it was meant. So it is not about different personality, only about hiding true intentions. I think those, who are aggressive on internet (I mean really aggresive, not just mad for some oppinion) are the same in RL, because you cannot conceal such emotions for long time. Only in RL, it wouldn't be so obvious for some time - they don't come and tell you, they will start acting differently, maybe on internet a lot of things are said which would stay hidden.

I try to ask sometimes what they meant, because some people have a problem to describe their feelings, they are not rude, only it looks like they shout, then someone comes and explain what they meant and it is OK, but sometimes I ask them and they are just more aggressive, attacking my favourite games and things I said, then I know that they will never try to be fair.

Also quite often players attack because of fear. That is sometimes the worst. They fear some group of players so they will try to block them completelly. I was wondering why there are so many action games changed from RPG games and I know that the official explanation is that it is more popular, or more popular on consoles, but I saw some more personal attacks and I realised that some people don't like the true RPG and they will try to push that away from gaming.

So again internet I saw is not really about different personalities, only about different agendas and groups and the war between them. Sometimes I wish I could put games away and just talk without the fear that someone will attack me from behind with their secret hate for some game.

• 1 month later...

I am not much different online as I am in really life. I tend to be very laid back and follow a simple rule if I don't have anything constructive or nice to say I don't say anything . Some people take what i say out of context I have even had a few get offended but id don't really care. There are only a few people who opinions I value in life and none of them are online .

I'm pretty different. I have anger problems that don't normally show up online because, well, I could just... not comment. Whereas in person, I can't hide it. I also tend to be more cheerful and supportive online when I'm anti-social in person and incredibly shy.

So yeah, I'm two different people between online and in person.

• 4 weeks later...

Makes no difference. The claim that folk act differently under the guise of an alternate identity on the interwebs is bogus, because people do that in real life as well, put on a different act towards different people. Sure, there's strange folk who try all kinds of funny stuff on the web because they think they can get away with it, but in the end they're always found out. Again, there's no difference with real life. The number of people who assume a different identity to, for instance, lead a double life, are staggering. And this was not instigated by the advent of the web but has been going on since the dawn of time. Or at least, since the dawn of Mankind.

I'm no different here than in real life with the exception I can't punch your lights out on the net when you're seriously getting on my frail nerves. And that's a good thing for both sides.