Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #56040816.

twowolves80 wrote:

As I said before it seems to be that the staff is focusing on the backend and see the redesign as a placeholder until they can get to it and tweak it to something that is pleasant to all.

The problem is that you can't do that. Your site is the way that the majority of the people visiting interact with you and the content on here. If that interaction isn't a good experience then they aren't going to stay around until the backend is done and you turn your attention to the user experience.

Of course I can only judge by the people who post, who I'm guessing is a small percentage of visitors, but of that group the overwhelming opinion is that the new design is not a good one when compared to the old. Would it really be that much of a humiliation to take a step back and say "yeah, this design isn't working for the community" and stick with the old design until a better compromise can be found?

Please see my post towards the bottom of the previous page.

Would you rather have a sh*tty mod manager come out, that has less-than-desirable functionality with a website that was supposed to have been designed to sync up to it? Or would you rather just be patient, let them finish Vortex so that they can then turn their full attention to the site? Dark0ne was very clear about his dev returning to work on the site only after Vortex is released.

""" Of course I can only judge by the people who post, who I'm guessing is a small percentage of visitors """"

Well, do not judge for what others say, judge for yourself and provide your feedback in a civilized way, that being said, the majority of people that dislike the new site ( they have posted here their opinion ) have not provided their feedback in a proper manner, they have just said that they dislike it in different ways that only a child can do ( I don't like it, it is ugly, I hate it, f*#@ this site, I want the old one, etc, etc, etc ) .... do you think that we should take in a consideration opinions like those ? Personally I do not really care if they like it or not; as you said, it is a small percentage and they are just talkers crying like babies.

It has been already addressed by a moderator ( read below ) that the owners hired a professional designer who is focusing entirely in Vortex and when that is done and out, that person will focus her attention to improve the new site, as the person above said, I prefer to wait. In the mean time, personally, the new site is working as it should for me, I have been able to download mods, I do not get to the old site when I click on nexus ( that is very odd and I do not believe that is happening because I have used like 10 computers from different locations from friends and family and anytime I click on nexus, I get to the new site ), I can find any mod that I want, etc, etc, etc .... so yes, I will wait as well to see what type of improvement will be done to the new site.

This is just the beginning I guess : when Vortex is out, there will be a lot of people talking out loud about that and will start to criticize as well and not in a professional, civilized and polite manner. They will start saying the same f***ing thing : I do not like it, why they changed it, I hate it, etc, etc, ... even though everybody knows the creator of Vortex is a professional person and creator of MO.

Let' sit tight, wait, provide valid feedback to them and trust that they will do whatever it takes to fix and improve everything. Their attitude has been shown several times that they are willing to listen and apply valid feedbacks to improve the new site and I am very sure they will have the same attitude about Vortex. We need to trust them and we need to be patients.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56040816. #56074991 is also a reply to the same post.

twowolves80 wrote:

As I said before it seems to be that the staff is focusing on the backend and see the redesign as a placeholder until they can get to it and tweak it to something that is pleasant to all.

The problem is that you can't do that. Your site is the way that the majority of the people visiting interact with you and the content on here. If that interaction isn't a good experience then they aren't going to stay around until the backend is done and you turn your attention to the user experience.

Of course I can only judge by the people who post, who I'm guessing is a small percentage of visitors, but of that group the overwhelming opinion is that the new design is not a good one when compared to the old. Would it really be that much of a humiliation to take a step back and say "yeah, this design isn't working for the community" and stick with the old design until a better compromise can be found?

Would you rather have a sh*tty mod manager come out, that has less-than-desirable functionality with a website that was supposed to have been designed to sync up to it? Or would you rather just be patient, let them finish Vortex so that they can then turn their full attention to the site? Dark0ne was very clear about his dev returning to work on the site only after Vortex is released.

sopmac45 wrote: """ Of course I can only judge by the people who post, who I'm guessing is a small percentage of visitors """"

Well, do not judge for what others say, judge for yourself and provide your feedback in a civilized way, that being said, the majority of people that dislike the new site ( they have posted here their opinion ) have not provided their feedback in a proper manner, they have just said that they dislike it in different ways that only a child can do ( I don't like it, it is ugly, I hate it, f*#@ this site, I want the old one, etc, etc, etc ) .... do you think that we should take in a consideration opinions like those ? Personally I do not really care if they like it or not; as you said, it is a small percentage and they are just talkers crying like babies.

It has been already addressed by a moderator ( read below ) that the owners hired a professional designer who is focusing entirely in Vortex and when that is done and out, that person will focus her attention to improve the new site, as the person above said, I prefer to wait. In the mean time, personally, the new site is working as it should for me, I have been able to download mods, I do not get to the old site when I click on nexus ( that is very odd and I do not believe that is happening because I have used like 10 computers from different locations from friends and family and anytime I click on nexus, I get to the new site ), I can find any mod that I want, etc, etc, etc .... so yes, I will wait as well to see what type of improvement will be done to the new site.

This is just the beginning I guess : when Vortex is out, there will be a lot of people talking out loud about that and will start to criticize as well and not in a professional, civilized and polite manner. They will start saying the same f***ing thing : I do not like it, why they changed it, I hate it, etc, etc, ... even though everybody knows the creator of Vortex is a professional person and creator of MO.

Let' sit tight, wait, provide valid feedback to them and trust that they will do whatever it takes to fix and improve everything. Their attitude has been shown several times that they are willing to listen and apply valid feedbacks to improve the new site and I am very sure they will have the same attitude about Vortex. We need to trust them and we need to be patients.

From a certain point on even childish complaints become valid eg. if thousands of users would post here and unanimously say the website is awful, then there'd be a sign stuff is not working. Just check the latest Patreon mishaps for a good example on that, or all the microtransaction bull happening lately.

Oh, I agree fully, Ethreon. I am in no way trying to devalue the amount of people saying they dislike it. However, I'm not sure that just because a few hundred people here say they don't like it, that somehow constitutes a site-wide mutiny. I just think there's better ways to offer suggestions or feedback.

I'm withholding judgement on the new site and Vortex until after I see the finished product. Imagine if people were coming in and out of the Sistine Chapel and critizing Michaelangelo before he was finished? "Pffff, dude, that is way too much nudity for those cherubs, it's distracting me from the homily." Yeah, right. lmao That would have lasted all of five minutes before the aristocracy started putting people's heads on pikes.

Point is, let's be patient and wait to see the finished product before jumping to conclusions about what it's going to be and how it's going to ultimately look when it's finished. You don't judge a Bob Ross painting half-way through. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGargyyIPQ

Edited by twowolves80

I've been trying to get used to the new site design, but, I just can't. It's not possible. Not on my pc. It now causes me to have headaches and that isn't cool. But, on the bright side, it looks great on my phone, but, as others have pointed out, I do not download mods on phone. If the Vortex mod manager is a phone app, that would mean making sure your phone is linked to your pc at all times. Which in my opinion isn't beneficial in anyway. I don't want to have to use my phone to install mods. This design just isn't made for pc. To make it usable with a phone is just wrong.

In response to post #55996416. #56001046, #56004111, #56006271, #56013811, #56066511 are all replies on the same post.

CrossShot4 wrote: Why not have both? Just give the option under "Preferences"
sopmac45 wrote: This has been addressed by Dark0ne already and backed up by several members in this thread. Read and find out. To make it short for you :

- We are not going back to the old site. Period.
- We will not have the option to have two sites. Period.

Why do you continue asking something that has been already addressed and it is a done deal ? Because you have the right to ask ? Yes, you do ... but asking again for something that cannot be done is a waste of time on your end.
Ruhadre wrote: I mean, it's Dark0ne's site, and if he wants to shoot his own site in the foot, then that's his business. Been using this site without complaint for years until this entire "new design" came up. I'm doing my best to be polite by even referring to it as a "new design". It's completely unusable by most.

I agree with CrossShot4. Have both, or else you'll alienate a lot of users and modders. Being rude and pushy to people isn't helping your cause either. Don't act like Comcast when you hardly have a monopoly ;P

The site is ALREADY set up for both currently. It's fine the way it is now! Leaving you all free to do whatever you want with the new version side, while people can continue to enjoy the nexus experience they've enjoyed for years. Clearly, your intentions aren't geared toward the community, but more toward some weird form of pride in this new layout.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nexus. I go out of my way to make mods to help others, and I do my best to help others with problems, and I never asked once for a donation from others. But to force me to use a layout I hate, when they could give me the option to keep using the old site is just a slap in the face. Why should I go out of my way to make mods to make others happy when I'm just going to host them on a website that no longer shares my same interest in the community? Defeats the purpose. Also, I didn't see Dark0ne say anything specific in the original post about the destruction of the old site. He is allowed to change his mind. So I guess I should ask, are you speaking for him?
axonis wrote: @Ruhadre, you are not alone.
Milanvukas wrote: I've recently been struck down by one of the users (premium or support, can't remember) for complaining about the lack of functionality of the new design. His argument was that I did not pitch in my vote in time.

I did not even know that the voting took place. And now we have hundreds, maybe even thousands of Nexus regulars that agree with me. Why aren't we taken into consideration now?

What's the deal with this new design anyway? The interface is horrible. Old Nexus works just fine, and is pretty enough. Why even make a new when people are still satisfied with the old? For some pointless modernization? Is the purpose of this site for administrators to graze their eyes upon, or for us common folk to use it?

Bottom line, the new design is like a golden raincoat: it may look dazzling (though it does not, in this case) but is horribly impractical, and even crippling to the one that wears it (which it does, in both cases).

And why the hell are some sups/prems so rude about all of this?
Ethreon wrote: There was literally no voting. Owner decided to do this and he did it; whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

"...Why do you continue asking something that has been already addressed and it is a done deal ? Because you have the right to ask ? Yes, you do ... but asking again for something that cannot be done is a waste of time on your end...."

Because perhaps some people are telling you the truth ... so simple.

Sorry but at my age, i can consider myself as a very old user. in 35 years of using internet (even before it was really known as internet), i'm also quite used to many types of web design as i'm working in IT. I'm sure that i never encounter so many design mistakes around one single portal site..The fact that the Creator doesn't want to recognize some of them.is quite normal because when so much work has been done to renew a site, you loose the necessary neutrality to criticize your own work.

Actually, i'm quite unhappy to say that if i want to consult a mod, i 'll first check if it is available on another site.

like i told before in another post, 80% of the main page when first displayed on a screen doesn't contain any interesting information about the mod. You need even to scroll to read "About the mod" sentence.

Sorry but this work is the perfect example of what you should never do for such a site. This is not my conclusion, this is what is learned when you study this job.

Edited by Mandala01

I've been trying to get used to the new site design, but, I just can't. It's not possible. Not on my pc. It now causes me to have headaches and that isn't cool. But, on the bright side, it looks great on my phone, but, as others have pointed out, I do not download mods on phone. If the Vortex mod manager is a phone app, that would mean making sure your phone is linked to your pc at all times. Which in my opinion isn't beneficial in anyway. I don't want to have to use my phone to install mods. This design just isn't made for pc. To make it usable with a phone is just wrong.

Who said anything about downloading anything to your phone? Who said anything about Vortex being a phone app? And so what if it was? I hope Vortex is a phone app that allows for us to use the forums in the way that Tapatalk does, only you know, in a less sh*tty way. That would actually be kind of cool. Or maybe one day, Nexus Mods will finally have a Tapatalk page.

I think the goal with integration of Vortex and mobile sites, according to what Dark0ne and SirSalami have said, is for people to be able to browse on their mobile, flag mods they are interested in (by way of a Favorites or whatever button), and that will auto-queue them in Vortex so that when you get back to your PC, the mods are either already downloaded to Vortex, or they are queued and waiting for you to say Download Vortex. I believe that is the kind of vision the admins have for the site, and Dark0ne has already said that mobile traffic accounts for almost 20% of the site traffic. So why not take advantage of that by offering something along the lines of the above?

I think it would be kind of cool to be able to save mods when browsing on mobile for later downloading on PC. It would encourage me to browse the site more, actually.

"...Why do you continue asking something that has been already addressed and it is a done deal ? Because you have the right to ask ? Yes, you do ... but asking again for something that cannot be done is a waste of time on your end...."

Sorry but at my age, i can consider myself as a very old user. in 35 years of using internet (even before it was really known as internet), i'm also quite used to many types of web design as i'm working in IT. I'm sure that i never encounter so many design mistakes around one single portal site..The fact that the Creator doesn't want to recognize some of them.is quite normal because when so much work has been done to renew a site, you loose the necessary neutrality to criticize your own work.

I'm just going to let the Man speak for himself. Dark0ne, would you care to answer this gentleman?

Dark0ne says, "Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready."

So, I guess that would make that a gross mischaracterization, if not an outright lie. Once they are finished with Vortex, they will then turn their attention to the site and overhauling it. Right now, all that is being fixed are bugs and if you don't believe that, go to their bug-tracker on github.

In fact, le Dark0ne laid the entire time-line out in the New Nexus Mods Design Launched thread, and here is his first post detailing said time-line:

We are using GitHub to maintain a bug and issue tracker. If you'd like to help us out by reporting issues then you will need a GitHub account (very easy to make). Apologies for the extra off-site process but there was no point building a custom solution, which would have taken a long time, when other services are readily available that did what we needed. You'll be able to see issues that other users have posted already and comment on them if needed. The bug tracker can always be accessed by clicking the "Report Bug" link on the bottom of your window when browsing the site.

Please only use GitHub to report bugs or inform us of missing functionality compared to the current site. Please don't use it to ask for new features or things that don't exist on the current site. We'll try and keep the issue tracker as clean as possible, so some issues may be removed if they are not relevant to the redesign at this time. Thank you for your understanding.

Our timeline moving forward is to wait a few days to see how many people are accessing the new design site and using it. Hopefully there will be a good uptake of users who browse on the new site so we can squash any remaining bugs and stress test our new code on the servers. We'll likely make it even more obvious with a banner on the site or similar to notify as many people as possible.

Over the next few weeks we will assess how much traffic the redesign site is getting and the bugs we're receiving. If we think we've had enough testing data and we've cleared our bug backlog we will then switch the sites around; nexusmods.com will point to the new redesign and you will be able to switch back to the old design temporarily during this period. We will then monitor this as another testing phase and, once we're happy with how things have progressed, we will finally turn off the old design completely and everyone will be forced on to the new design. At this point the old design will not be coming back and will not be usable ever again. Hence why it makes sense for you to try and use the new design as much as possible so you get used to it sooner rather than later.

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's, following good UI/UX principles and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert. Thankfully, our very own UI and UX designer has begun working from our office now. Her initial focus is going to be solely on Vortex, the mod manager to replace NMM. I can tell you right now, I'm extremely excited about her work from what I've seen so far and I think she's going to do great things for both Vortex and the Nexus Mods sites.

Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready.

I'm sure that, when she comes around to looking at it, she will appreciate feedback on the topic and we'll likely be asking for input soon enough.

Thank you for any help you can provide, even if it's browsing the site and finding nothing

Thanks for your time, Dark0ne!

Edited by twowolves80

Who said anything about downloading anything to your phone? Who said anything about Vortex being a phone app? And so what if it was? I hope Vortex is a phone app that allows for us to use the forums in the way that Tapatalk does, only you know, in a less sh*tty way. That would actually be kind of cool. Or maybe one day, Nexus Mods will finally have a Tapatalk page.

I think the goal with integration of Vortex and mobile sites, according to what Dark0ne and SirSalami have said, is for people to be able to browse on their mobile, flag mods they are interested in (by way of a Favorites or whatever button), and that will auto-queue them in Vortex so that when you get back to your PC, the mods are either already downloaded to Vortex, or they are queued and waiting for you to say Download Vortex. I believe that is the kind of vision the admins have for the site, and Dark0ne has already said that mobile traffic accounts for almost 20% of the site traffic. So why not take advantage of that by offering something along the lines of the above?

I think it would be kind of cool to be able to save mods when browsing on mobile for later downloading on PC. It would encourage me to browse the site more, actually.

I never once said that it WAS a phone app. But, anyway, I tried and I tried to get used to it. Been using it for several days now and all I get from it is a headache on my 4k monitor. The site is not for pc usage in my opinion. As Dark0ne has said: "mobile traffic accounts for almost 20% of the site traffic." so, how does that justify alienating the larger percentage? Even if out of the 80% the ones that are unhappy with it for one reason or the other, is only 35% of that 80%? That's still a larger percentage than the 20% phone usage. It makes no sense at all to me. Anyway, I've said my last in this post. It's no longer worth debating it. As I've said in other replies of mine: "It's Dark0ne's site. He can do as he wants with it." That includes shutting it down or turning it into a personal family blog. But, at this point, it's no longer worth debating it.

In response to post #56040816. #56074991, #56075956 are all replies on the same post.

twowolves80 wrote:

sopmac45 wrote: """ Of course I can only judge by the people who post, who I'm guessing is a small percentage of visitors """"

Ethreon wrote: From a certain point on even childish complaints become valid eg. if thousands of users would post here and unanimously say the website is awful, then there'd be a sign stuff is not working. Just check the latest Patreon mishaps for a good example on that, or all the microtransaction bull happening lately.

""" From a certain point on even childish complaints become valid eg """" ... We are not babysitting anyone here. This is our site for the years to come; you want it to be better? Provide your feedback.

... The kind of words, sentences and the way a person states his/her opinion, defines the kind of people that person is, regardless of his/her age. We are not here making a poll to find out if you like or dislike the site by just saying : I hate it, I do not like it, it's ugly, it's horrible, etc, etc, ... from the very beginning it was said by Dark0ne the type of feedback he was looking for and he in person replied to some of those inputs ( I hate it for example ) and asked that person to explain why and that person never responded .. so do you think that somebody with so childish opinion should be taken seriously ? You are wrong !

If somebody does not like it, be enough mature to express why you do not like it and if you really want to help, provide your feedback. That you have the right to just express your feelings and no provide any feedback ? Yes you can but what ? What is it ? That you do not like it ? Ok, but what ? Give me your reasons ? No reasons ? You are not helping and this site will improved ONLY for the feedback provided by those mature enough to express their ideas so the site will be better and those who never encourage themselves to help will also benefit at the end.

In response to post #56082301.

twowolves80 wrote:

I'm just going to let the Man speak for himself. Dark0ne, would you care to answer this gentleman?

Dark0ne says, "Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready."

So, I guess that would make that a gross mischaracterization, if not an outright lie. Once they are finished with Vortex, they will then turn their attention to the site and overhauling it. Right now, all that is being fixed are bugs and if you don't believe that, go to their bug-tracker on github.

In fact, le Dark0ne laid the entire time-line out in the New Nexus Mods Design Launched thread, and here is his first post detailing said time-line:

We are using GitHub to maintain a bug and issue tracker. If you'd like to help us out by reporting issues then you will need a GitHub account (very easy to make). Apologies for the extra off-site process but there was no point building a custom solution, which would have taken a long time, when other services are readily available that did what we needed. You'll be able to see issues that other users have posted already and comment on them if needed. The bug tracker can always be accessed by clicking the "Report Bug" link on the bottom of your window when browsing the site.

Please only use GitHub to report bugs or inform us of missing functionality compared to the current site. Please don't use it to ask for new features or things that don't exist on the current site. We'll try and keep the issue tracker as clean as possible, so some issues may be removed if they are not relevant to the redesign at this time. Thank you for your understanding.

Our timeline moving forward is to wait a few days to see how many people are accessing the new design site and using it. Hopefully there will be a good uptake of users who browse on the new site so we can squash any remaining bugs and stress test our new code on the servers. We'll likely make it even more obvious with a banner on the site or similar to notify as many people as possible.

Over the next few weeks we will assess how much traffic the redesign site is getting and the bugs we're receiving. If we think we've had enough testing data and we've cleared our bug backlog we will then switch the sites around; nexusmods.com will point to the new redesign and you will be able to switch back to the old design temporarily during this period. We will then monitor this as another testing phase and, once we're happy with how things have progressed, we will finally turn off the old design completely and everyone will be forced on to the new design. At this point the old design will not be coming back and will not be usable ever again. Hence why it makes sense for you to try and use the new design as much as possible so you get used to it sooner rather than later.

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's, following good UI/UX principles and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert. Thankfully, our very own UI and UX designer has begun working from our office now. Her initial focus is going to be solely on Vortex, the mod manager to replace NMM. I can tell you right now, I'm extremely excited about her work from what I've seen so far and I think she's going to do great things for both Vortex and the Nexus Mods sites.

Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready.

I'm sure that, when she comes around to looking at it, she will appreciate feedback on the topic and we'll likely be asking for input soon enough.

Thank you for any help you can provide, even if it's browsing the site and finding nothing

Thanks for your time, Dark0ne!

""" I think the goal with integration of Vortex and mobile sites, according to what Dark0ne and SirSalami have said, is for people to be able to browse on their mobile, flag mods they are interested in (by way of a Favorites or whatever button), and that will auto-queue them in Vortex so that when you get back to your PC, the mods are either already downloaded to Vortex, or they are queued and waiting for you to say Download Vortex. I believe that is the kind of vision the admins have for the site, and Dark0ne has already said that mobile traffic accounts for almost 20% of the site traffic. So why not take advantage of that by offering something along the lines of the above?

I think it would be kind of cool to be able to save mods when browsing on mobile for later downloading on PC. It would encourage me to browse the site more, actually. """

>> Excellent idea and thank you for posting this cause I probably I overlooked it ... that is very nice and now it does make more sense why the new site has been done this way so I am very happy. I use my phone to look for mods when I am on break / lunch and the new site looks awesome and it is easy to handle. If the mod will be auto-queued in Vortex, that would be awesome. :)

I'd rather the functionality of the Mod Manager as it stands now and a fully realised site, than a site that very few people seem to like and an awesome mod manager.

There's no point in making the mod manager more awesome if people stop visiting to get the mods because the site turns them off.

The website is how most people interact with the website, I can't help but feel that it warrants a bit more attention.