Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #57103751. #57106871, #57180531, #57250766 are all replies on the same post.

ElleGrayston wrote:

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! TERRIBLE!!!!!! AWFUL!!!!!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!! Please go back to the former layout this new one sucks. So much so I may stop going to the website. YES, it's that bad...it gives me a headache.

Please go back to the drawing board.

Ethreon wrote: Change is irreversible. Deal with it.
[email protected] wrote: I dunno, the old one was just so...ugly though, and I find this new design more aesthetically pleasing and more functional than the old one I can't think of one thing I liked about the old design over this new design.
bdk112 wrote: gonna deal with it by going to other sites, las time I actually tried to use the new site I stop logging on for a long time subsconsciously. I normally checked nexus regularly but after trying I lost interest for a long time.

@Ethreon Change for the sake of changing is stupid. Deal with it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57103751. #57106871, #57180531, #57250766, #57271881 are all replies on the same post.

ElleGrayston wrote:

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! TERRIBLE!!!!!! AWFUL!!!!!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!! Please go back to the former layout this new one sucks. So much so I may stop going to the website. YES, it's that bad...it gives me a headache.

Please go back to the drawing board.

Ethreon wrote: Change is irreversible. Deal with it.
[email protected] wrote: I dunno, the old one was just so...ugly though, and I find this new design more aesthetically pleasing and more functional than the old one I can't think of one thing I liked about the old design over this new design.
bdk112 wrote: gonna deal with it by going to other sites, las time I actually tried to use the new site I stop logging on for a long time subsconsciously. I normally checked nexus regularly but after trying I lost interest for a long time.
kn1ghtfall wrote: @Ethreon Change for the sake of changing is stupid. Deal with it.

Deal with what? I'm not the one threatening to stop using nexus.

Im personally not using nexus anymore. Just coming back to forum to see if devs made a right business decision which is give people choice or ignore consumers and keep doing own stuff. The main rule of success is to give consumers what they want even if you dont like it.

Edited by GreyHorizon

Okay, it's time again for a little truth in advertising.

1. The internet is dynamic; it evolves due to coding and scripting, such as java or html, being updated with new code and protocols.

2. This change in coding and scripting automatically necessitates that sites update their own code or become irrelevant because much of their site will no longer function with old code.

3. Most internet-based companies, like nexusmods, structure needed change in such a way as to take advantage of future trends so as to stay ahead of the curve.

4. Nexusmods' site owner, Robin Scott, has stated on multiple occasions that Vortex will integrate with the new nexus site;

5. ...therefore, the new site must not only have updated code and scripting, it must also integrate with a completely new mod organization system. This means that now, nexusmods is straddling not just one, but two highly advanced programs, and must somehow mash them together.

6. Nexusmods didn't have a pro web designer for much of the new site set up --per Dark0ne

7. Nexusmods has a pro dev for Vortex named Kit.

8. Nexusmods' pro dev is finishing work on Vortex.

9. Nexusmods' pro dev will be turning her attention to the new site once Vortex is released.

10. Vortex has not been released yet.

11. 20% of site traffic is from mobile, which means there are a lot of people using their phones to look at mods, read articles and forums, etc.

12. Most new sites are building themselves around mobile integration as it is far too big a demographic to ignore, profit-wise, which is why the internet's evolution is being driven to adapt new coding and scripting by those businesses because if they don't, they risk obsolescence when their site no longer functions.

13. Mobile traffic will be able to take advantage of Vortex's integration into the site

14. The nexusmods new site will, therefore, be updated once Vortex is released as then, the devs will be able to see how people use it and then adapt the new site more quickly and more efficiently to the needs of the users, based on the site demographics.

Therefore, there is no point in getting upset about the new site when Vortex hasn't been released. Once it's released, then you'll have a stronger point to argue that the new site sucks if it's not changed. As for giving consumers what they like, that only works to a point. If the consumer wants something that will ultimately hinder the company's ability to generate revenue and stay solvent, the customer can take a flying leap. No company in the world will say that a customer is always right, all the time.

And I'd just like to point out that most of the users I've seen so far--most, not all--who are complaining about not coming back are the people who come to the site to download mods, upload their screenshots, and then dip out. So they're not even using 90% of the site that they are complaining about.

In response to post #57098831. #57107246 is also a reply to the same post.

Jexare wrote: Is there any way to search descriptions on the new site? Apologies if that has been asked/answered elsewhere already.
Augusta Calidia wrote: Yes, there is. Click the "Search" button, expand "Refine Results," and you'll find a set of search parameters that includes descriptions.

Thanks very much!

In response to post #57275851.

twowolves80 wrote:

1. The internet is dynamic; it evolves due to coding and scripting, such as java or html, being updated with new code and protocols.

2. This change in coding and scripting automatically necessitates that sites update their own code or become irrelevant because much of their site will no longer function with old code.

3. Most internet-based companies, like nexusmods, structure needed change in such a way as to take advantage of future trends so as to stay ahead of the curve.

4. Nexusmods' site owner, Robin Scott, has stated on multiple occasions that Vortex will integrate with the new nexus site;

5. ...therefore, the new site must not only have updated code and scripting, it must also integrate with a completely new mod organization system. This means that now, nexusmods is straddling not just one, but two highly advanced programs, and must somehow mash them together.

6. Nexusmods didn't have a pro web designer for much of the new site set up --per Dark0ne

9. Nexusmods' pro dev will be turning her attention to the new site once Vortex is released.

11. 20% of site traffic is from mobile, which means there are a lot of people using their phones to look at mods, read articles and forums, etc.

12. Most new sites are building themselves around mobile integration as it is far too big a demographic to ignore, profit-wise, which is why the internet's evolution is being driven to adapt new coding and scripting by those businesses because if they don't, they risk obsolescence when their site no longer functions.

13. Mobile traffic will be able to take advantage of Vortex's integration into the site

14. The nexusmods new site will, therefore, be updated once Vortex is released as then, the devs will be able to see how people use it and then adapt the new site more quickly and more efficiently to the needs of the users, based on the site demographics.

Therefore, there is no point in getting upset about the new site when Vortex hasn't been released. Once it's released, then you'll have a stronger point to argue that the new site sucks if it's not changed. As for giving consumers what they like, that only works to a point. If the consumer wants something that will ultimately hinder the company's ability to generate revenue and stay solvent, the customer can take a flying leap. No company in the world will say that a customer is always right, all the time.

And I'd just like to point out that most of the users I've seen so far--most, not all--who are complaining about not coming back are the people who come to the site to download mods, upload their screenshots, and then dip out. So they're not even using 90% of the site that they are complaining about.

You hit the point - why users the new design didn't like. Without any emotion: the main part of the users are users - they don't care about the technical reasons. They care about the User Interface. "Can I find a mod EASY and QUICK?" And this is the weak point of the new design. Behind the stage you can change whatever you want - if I as a customer are able to find mods easy and quick. If one loses fun in dealing with the new design it will grow to a problem - also for your income. A simple UI - and everything will be alright. Is it so hard to understand? By the way - 20% mobile traffic means 80% non-mobile traffic. Are you currently going for a minority bc sometimes they will be the majority? Strange strategy... Edited by marcacella

Many modern day web devs miss the mark by placing form over function and the nexus site redesign is no exception. I like the overall concept and color scheme but there is far too much wasted space creating a cumbersome navigation experience.

It would really help to provide some scaling options for fonts and images as the current layouts are far too large and provide unnecessary information while browsing and searching for mods - the previous pop up hover function handled this much better by keeping the browsing display uncluttered.

Hopefully, some streamlining and/or tweaking via user preferences is forthcoming.

Wanted to add to what's already been said, the design looks sleek but I find it much more difficult to actually find what I'm looking for - having the search and categories on the right hand side of the list of mods was an excellent design choice that made maximum use of the page. Now it's a bloated, obtrusive mess that occupies half the screen for even the most simple of queries, which are now buried in menus.

The old site design may have been ugly, but it was functional and efficient at least

"11. 20% of site traffic is from mobile, which means there are a lot of people using their phones to look at mods, read articles and forums, etc."

Yeah lets just make all sites mobile because 20% use mobile. f*#@ the other 80%. This mobile s#*! is cancer.

Yeah. We know that the 20% minority comes before the 80% majority. At least with Nexus. To switch to a system that makes 20% of the people happy is the right marketing strategy? Wrong. In business, or should I say "marketing", it makes more sense to cut your losses with the 20%. Cutting the 80% isn't marketing strategy, it's lunacy. That's like taking the wine, meat, veggies and potatoes off the dinner table and feeding it to the pigs and giving your family a loaf of bread and a glass of dirty water to wash it all down.

Anyway, I've said enough in this thread. No matter what the majority says, the minority wins.