Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

Who puked put all these amazing new features all over nexusmods? This is horrible looking [Also, you forgot to hyphenate that] definitely NOT asked for by anyone what I've been waiting for my whole life! Can I get my lifetime premium membership dues refunded extended to two lifetimes?? This is truly horrid and unacceptable a great time to be alive! I never wanna go back. Now Ever. Anyone have a link to a different Skyrim/Fallout mod site? Because I sure don't need it! Something that's not the Workshop? Like this really polished new website? Something that looks like something an adult would look at, like all of us responsible, courteous people here in this thread who are trying to help to make it even better than before?

Don't worry, I got your back. I went ahead and edited a few typos for you so it's clearer to the readers what the actual intent was.

Remember, you get more thane-ships through courtesy than through the strength of your sword arm.

:smile:

Edit: It was pointed out about vigilantiism, and I am in no way attempting this on you, crpgnut. No offense meant. Just trying to point out that you can still have fun while getting your point across, but you have to remember that the admins will be more likely to improve the site in ways we would like to see if we give them encouragement and tell them both the things we like and what we don't like by pointing to specifics.

Edited by twowolves80

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just simply cannot describe the relieve when I clicked on the nexus icon today and could have FUN looking at mods again. A definite NO to the gta5-mods.com design for nexus. It makes me not want to look for mods, comment, endorse... it makes me want to get off the site.

edit: looks like I was relieved too soon.

Edited by Halesbride

I like how new mods are easier to find on the new site but that's about it. I'd love to be more positive but I'm sorry, I can't. There's too much "noise" in the new site, it's like someone said "I need to see everything all together at the same time". This extra noise plus lack of differentiation makes navigating the page more difficult than the old version and it's no where near as clean or elegant. However, supply and demand will prevail and I have faith in the community to supply us with a compact mode that removes all the superfluous noise. In the meantime please leave the "old" functionality up for a while until we get there.

In response to post #55558639.

Ugaking wrote: How do I go back to the old design? This new one looks horrible.

You got's to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the website, look for visit "old" website.
Or you can simply pull up the find in page, (or type ctrl + F)
And type in old website

In response to post #55558519.

Halesbride wrote: I just simply cannot describe the relieve when I clicked on the nexus icon today and could have FUN looking at mods again. A definite NO to the gta5-mods.com design for nexus. It makes me not want to look for mods, comment, endorse... it makes me want to get off the site.

edit: looks like I was relieved too soon.

It makes me feel like I'm bout ready to start having an epileptic seizure...!!! :blink:

This morning the new site became my official default site, and I am very happy about that. I've been a Nexus member for ten years, and I am enjoying this site better than any of the previous versions. I like how big everything is, how much more information is available, and how easy it is for me to navigate the site. I especially like the opportunity to inspect a file's content and structure before downloading it. (If that feature was on the old site, then I completely missed it.)

In saying this, I am not at all criticizing those who feel differently about these matters and are willing to say so. I am simply stating how I personally feel about the new site. As the Latin maxim goes, "De gustibus non est disputandum" (google it). Which is better - Oreo Cookies frozen? Oreo Cookies dipped in milk? Oreo Cookies dipped in coffee? Oreo Cookies consumed in one fell swoop? Oreo Cookies nibbled at? Oreo Cookies creme filling first and then the outside wafers? The point here is that much of the sometimes heated discussion about the new site has been about personal taste and not some objective truth about the universe.

I think I like the way the new design looks, though I get why so many people complain about it and can relate to them. It's really hard to navigate with the images of the old design still fresh in my memory. But that's probably the matter of getting used to.

The biggest problem-problem with the new design that I see is that EVERYTHING IS SO BIG AND SCATTERED ALL OVER. Everything is so big and you see less information on screen than you could have with the old design, you have to scroll up and down for every tiny bit of information, and it isn't convenient in the slightest. And the text is still small so Ctrl + [-] is not an option.

I don't know. I want to like this redesign, but I feel conflicted. To me, it's become less user-friendly in terms of interface than it was, and I'm sad. Where's the joy in driving a shiny new sports car if it can't go straight and keeps steering slightly sideways and you have to be careful and drive really slowly instead of going full speed? It still works, yes, but it doesn't work to its full potential. That's what this new design is to me. A broken sports car. I'll take my old beat-up SUV anyday.

An attempt at constructive criticism;

Well like all things of this nature it is purely subjective as to if you like it or dislike it. I find it 'too busy,' I'm not sure as to why. If I look at both pages side by side it is hard to say why i prefer the old system at first glance. At first I though it was because the old system didn't overload me with as much information but that isn't true the same info is there. One thing is true on a subjective level is that the number of downloads, size and endorsement is more intrusive now. This might have to do with the fact that we read from left to right top to bottom and in the old system all this data was in the bottom right, the last place the eye looks. Now it is bottom left directly under the photo, this seems to draw the eye away from the photo causing the feeling that there is too much information.

I would encourage you to move the data back to the lower right under the description of the mod vs under the photo. The photo is telling us to 'look' the data below it is telling us to read and that means we are getting two expectations to our brains at once. Yet in the old system the descriptions told us to read and the data below it told us to read and our brains know what to do with that, read it in sequence left to right top to bottom. The photo+data on the left side tells our brain to do contradictory things, look & read while the old system with the data below the description simply told us to read.

I am sure there will be vileness by those for and against the change. All I can do is say, I don't like it and here is what i think could smooth over some of the objections in the against camp.

Edited by airgedok