Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55597049. #55602254, #55607436 are all replies on the same post.

DominickHide wrote: Came back here after a while and noticed that some people are still complaining about the site redesign. Honestly, I am impatient to have the new one be the default.
The constant refrain 'can we have the choice to keep the old one' betrays an ignorance of just how much work goes into the design and upkeep of a site as big as Nexus.
It certainly does not feel like a mobile site but seems at least to consider that's how someone might choose to browse. That's good design and good judgement.

I suspect the vast majority of visitors to the Nexus will feel the site is cleaner, clearer, more functional and less make-do-and-mend than the older design.
I also suspect that the vast majority will remain silent and just keep on using and loving the site as they always have.

Hopefully Dark0ne will not allow the wholly predictable mock outrage and silly drama of a comment section to affect the progress of a long overdue overhaul of both of the site and the mod manager. And thanks to him for such a wonderful and free resource.
Dark0ne wrote: Morrowind Chronicles > Morrowind Mod Library / Morrowind Mod Host > Morrowind Source > TESSource > TESNexus > Nexus Mods

That's 7 major redesigns (and even rebrands) in the past 16 years. This isn't my first rodeo. People were outraged and left the community during each of the changes. Other people liked the changes and found reasons to come back or actually bother using the site for the first time after not liking the previous design.

That doesn't mean I won't listen to and try and change anything people bring to my attention that legitimately isn't right or could be vastly improved, just like all the other times we've done a redesign. We're working on that right now whilst some of the devs work on optimising the new code to work on our server architecture with the traffic we're currently experiencing.

But the over-the-top outrage and unwillingness to be patient, relax, provide constructive feedback and ideas for improvements from a small minority of users? That's nothing new.
waswar1 wrote: That’s rather dismissive and holier-than-though and you know it, Dark0ne.

Those previous revamps expanded your base and increased the functionality of the site. But the new design is considerably more inconvenient. I have listed a number of things on previous pages.

The worst overall of the mod searching. In the new design, the images are unnecessarily large. You scroll more to browse 20 files than in the old version where you were given 30. This makes mod browsing artificially long. I believe that these images should be reduced in size, and that the default amount of displayed mods should be 30 before premium membership is required for expansion.

The new image system isn’t very good for PC’s. Images always load a bit slowly on nexus, but that’s fine, they’re just pictures, and I could browse and look through the thumbnails of other pictures as they loaded. However, the new system takes over the screen in a separate section for only images. This makes you unable to do other things as you wait for the images to slowly load. Furthermore, you can no longer compare images side by side anymore.

The use of drop-downs is counter intuitive. For example, instead of being able to jump to the first and last pages in a thread, we can only move one at a time, or use the drop down arrow to select the page we want. This extends the length of time in doing very simple things. This is also the case in mod images. Why would there be a drop down selection for two categories: author and user images? I do not believe that makes much sense.

These above changes from the old design are why I am not happy with the redesign; functionality has been reduced. And that’s the part I have a problem with, more than the unsightly but tolerable flat design which doesn’t hinder my ability to use the site as the other changes do.

That’s rather dismissive and holier-than-though and you know it, Dark0ne.

I don't see how. It's exactly how it was, and how it is.

Those previous revamps expanded your base and increased the functionality of the site. But the new design is considerably more inconvenient. I have listed a number of things on previous pages.

No, they didn't. Most notably, the TESNexus rebrand and redesign released with significantly less functionality than TESSource. Morrowind Source released with much less functionality than Morrowind Mod Host.

Whatever constructive feedback you have provided will have been noted and will be reviewed as soon as the web designer gets around to looking at the specific sections you've mentioned. You honestly don't need to repeat it in every post you make as we'll already have seen it. Edited by Dark0ne

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See? It's not even like Dark0ne is the one working on the website--it's his devs.

And if Dark0ne giving you what amounts to tacit agreement that things can and will be improved isn't enough, then I don't know what is. Not once has he tried to defend clearly inefficient points in the new site (granted, by not acknowledging those points), and the times he has are on things that amount to purely aesthetic, I-don't-like-it-for-the-sake-of-not-liking-it posts.

Learn to read between the line, ladies and gentlemen. That's all I'm saying. :)

In response to post #55599199.

OperaGhost1408 wrote: I can live with the new design, but PLEASE bring back the ability to search for a mod by description.

You can still do that. Above the list of mods, click Refine Results and a box should open up where you can search in many different ways. I find it strange that it's hidden but at least it's there.

Very nice... my post was deleted only why I write in portuguese...

I was just try show you how is the dificult of international users... and we are more people than natural english language...

My sugestion was writed there, I will not do it again.

You all show how respect you have about other language users.

In response to post #55610111.

DuChene wrote: Very nice... my post was deleted only why I write in portuguese...
I was just try show you how is the dificult of international users... and we are more people than natural english language...

Your post was removed as it broke our Terms of Service. From our TOS, which you agree to when using the site:

The official language of Nexus Mods is English and English should be the primary language used at all times. We reserve the right to remove any content from the Nexus sites that isn't written in English at our own discretion.

In this thread especially, considering the heated nature of some of the comments here, I'd like it to remain English-only so I can keep an eye on things. Edited by Dark0ne

Very nice... my post was deleted only why I write in portuguese...

Sorry, DuChene, I meant no disrespect. Just wanted you to give you a heads up that most of us here don't speak anything but English. :)