New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

First time really using the new site.

Looking up what the current version of a mod is much more difficult now. As far as I can tell, the only place the version number is show is on the downloads themselves, and not in the mod information anymore.

Except, now that I looked again, it is there as the last item, just a lot harder to see than before. The latest version could also be shown in search results already.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing more if you guys still collect...

Personally I don't see why there should contain descriptions on recent mods, some contain really long descriptions and some are just short... Personally I'd like them removed, if one is interested in a mod by the title or picture, they'd read the description on the mod's page, sort of like the old site, saving time and scrolling, as of now, I personally see more scrolling and reading comparing both sites, making it tedious to look for something new, because having to keep reading is quite a boring thing to do (personally I think).

In addition, searching for mods is quite odd. Without typing you'll get an error saying you'll need to type at least 3 letters. This should be replaced by doing the like old (making it easier and better navigable for specific mods): Showing most endorsed or customized to show what you've prioritized. As of now it feels like you need to memorize the name of the mod(s), which is really bizarre, like some sort of restriction on what a user can search for.

I find it pretty strange that in the main page for a game on NexusMods that I can have, at most, 11 thumbnails of downloadable, playable mods. Only four of those mods can actually be recent(or whatever setting I so choose for them), whereas the other seven(note: majority) are designated only as "hot mods", which are not liable to change much on a day-to-day basis. And then just a truckload of other random stuff. Looks like I've got 16 whole slots of "media" space, and I am allowed to have a default setting for all 16 of them. I understand media is an important part of the community, but I feel it should not have such a large chunk of real estate in comparison to the main focus of the site... Mods. Then, there's the news section. Oh my lord - 20 thumbnails. I've got news stories going all the way back to March, and that's with the default setting where all the different kinds of news are in one section. Pick a category and narrow it down a little further and then you start hitting February, June 2016, November 2015, and- holy crap, the Interviews section can go all the way back to 2012 on the first page.

Getting the picture? I can delve into news from five years ago, front page, no problem, but on a run-of-the-mill day of modding I'm gonna have to open a new page because more than four mods came out today. Lots of news on the front page about development that is now completed, giveaways that are over, positions that probably aren't being hired for anymore, a handful of Nexus Mods staff picks that almost definitely have already shown up in my Hot Files section when they were first picked, anyway.

At the end of the day, I don't want to downplay our media producers and staff who are helping keep the site running. I'd just like that we make a little more room for what's on the forefront right this moment.

Edited by Manan6619

The only real constructive feedback there might be is this:

FORGET ABOUT THIS TOTAL FAILURE YOU CALL A "NEW DESIGN"

Seriously, what was wrong with the old one? It was pretty, it was handy, it worked perfectly and people always knew where are the features they were looking for. This thing out there now? LAGLAGLAGLAGWORTHLESSBANNERLAGLAGLAGWORTHLESSADDLAGLAGLAGMORELAGS

That's it

That's not constructive. As has already been explained repeatedly by Ethreon, Dark0ne himself, and myself and others (not that I have any say one way or the other), they aren't switching back. Here is a link for help on giving constructive feedback.

Failure to consider that the internet occasionally undergoes refinements and updates to its coding to allow greater integration of computer systems and websites does not result in better feedback.

Vortex is being designed around the new website for better integration. All I've heard so far today was whining about aesthetics. So I find this same meme is useful in this thread, too.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2q81p41.jpg

Dark0ne himself has said that Vortex and the new website will offer greater functionality and integration, and that they're not going to maintain two websites because it would mean modders would have to write their mod descriptions up twice in two different formats, and that would mean hiring web designers to work on two different sites, and then integrating both sites with the forum. I don't have $10,000 laying around in the couch cushions, and I doubt Dark0ne does, either.

Also, guys, whoever running the site! You got friggin 18 PAGES of people askin you to return to your old layout. And there are many people like me, who don't normaly use forums, but they were SO PISSED OFF by this new crap that they did lift their asses and post it here.

Can you think of anything else that would signal "THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!!!" more clearly than that?

Point is, you had your chance when Dark0ne posted a thread way back when telling people the change was coming, and almost no one wanted to offer suggestions and feedback.

Now, suddenly everyone is a UX designer.

The old design wasn't going to be able to integrate with Vortex, and NMM was on it's way out anyway because it can't keep up with the needs of modders. Dark0ne has been trying to give everyone everything they wanted in this new Vortex, and that means a new website to integrate with it. Besides, for all we know, the old Nexus site's site-host may be going bankrupt. Who knows? Who cares? It's not for us to know the day-to-day doings of the admins. That's why they have their own private forums.

It is a privilege to use the Nexus, and if you think anything else, you are self-entitled. Dark0ne does this out of the kindness of his heart. He doesn't have to do sh*t for us. He doesn't have to put up with us. He is way more patient than I would be were I in his position. Especially with some of the abusive nature of the comments I've seen posted in these types of threads.

You have one duty as a member that is being asked in this thread. One. Give feedback and suggestions. You failed. Feedback requires suggestions for site improvements, not suggestions to return to a previous site. That this thread has gone on as long as it has is a testament to the patience of Dark0ne. One thing life has taught me is you don't bite the hand that feeds you. You want to be useful? Do what modders do best and figure out a workaround and then post it here. Come up with real solutions for the new site (which is here to stay) instead of waxing nostalgic about the "good ol' days."

while I do prefer the old layout, I don't expect it to be coming back at this point. The best would be to hope you add it as a layout style option on the new framework.

however one thing you can do is give scaling options, something akin to gmail's 'comfortable' 'cozy' and 'compact options'.

as it sits today, there are no options I could find in the user settings to make the layout smaller. Its 25% bigger than it used to be.

things that were once quick access (mod author options, changelog, etc) are now shoved into combo boxes that require double the amount of clicks to navigate to.

the only improvement I've honestly noticed is the search feature. it only takes 1 click to get a cursor in the search field instead of 2-3.

twowolves, not everyone sits on this website waiting for something new to popup. when I got a notification there was a new layout available, I ignored it because I didn't have time to try something new.
now that its forced on me, your absolutely f*#@ing right I've got feedback, and that's why it was rolled out in a staged format. to get feedback along the way.

I'm not going to go out of my way to a website that is frustrating to use, especially since it USED to be fine.

anyone suggesting that end user workarounds should be made to 'fix' an underlying issue is a dipshit.

heres to hoping suggestions are actually considered.

Edited by TeHCoQ