New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

Luke 4:24: "And He said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country."

lol True story. Well, at least I know some people are actually reading it! Thank you! I think if newcomers to the post would just take the time to read the OP twice to let it sink it, most of the controversy, if there even is one, would vanish. There's also the filter button up top in the search bar that would allow people to find information more readily if they would use it on the forums...

I find it somewhat amusing to see my own reactions to some of the posts becoming more and more aligned with those of Ethreon or others who tend to wax acerbic in their posting...lol I'm not the most patient person in the world, either, so if nothing else, it's a good exercise in teaching myself patience. Another thing, too, is that I don't believe most posters in this thread are monitoring multiple threads the way other power users like myself do--so we who do monitor multiple threads generally have a better understanding of the overall situation in that we see a great deal more of the admin comments revealing the nature of Vortex and the new site, and what is to come. That is why I've been trying to cross-reference to other threads more (or back to the OP).

I have only one other thing to say, really.

Dark0ne, hurry up with Vortex!

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2lngzg5.jpg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wonder....

Is there actually a demand for mobile access and queuing functionality, or did someone just decide it would be a good idea?

Personally I can't see it.

Mobile access - just a time/numbers game before it was needed, when a sizable portion (I believe the figure was around 20%) of the site userbase access the site via mobile tech, then it's something to be taken into account.

At time of writing, the front page records a total of 13,905,768 registered members, 20% of that is a fair amount of people. It would be silly to ignore such a large section of the userbase.

Obviously a fair amount of people don't have need for such a setup since they don't access the site via a mobile device (myself included), but just because I don't use something, doesn't mean I don't see the merit in the idea for those that would make use of such an implementation.

With the increases in mobile net setups and time spent online by way of smartphones etc, it's a prudent step to start future-proofing the site to accommodate such behaviour and eventual demand.

Mod queuing/save for later DL - this has come up a few times in the past, with all the other changes going on, and coupled with the above point about users mobile site access, it makes sense to implement it now.

Someone on break at work, traveling or just not near their home system can spend time browsing for mods on their phone/tablet, mark anything interesting for later download and then once back at their system, log in and retrieve the files they listed.

Cuts down on browsing time, gets straight to the downloading and installing part.

Major bug in new Nexus format - developers please read and address this.

The menu button in the new Nexus design does not work properly. When you go to open it and select another option like today's mods under mods in the drop down menu it goes to the all mods page automatically not just the today's mods page, or forum in the drop down menu for Nexus Network it goes automatically to the Nexus homepage instead of the forum page. In other words the when you want to use the items in the drop down menus of the menu section it always reverts to the first item in that drop down menu. Often times without you even having the time to choose an option. Hence the menu section of the new Nexus design is broken and in need of fixing so that all the drop down menu items in it work and go to the pages they are supposed to go to. I have to get to the forum by google now because of this problem with the new Nexus format.

I think the bugs - and this is a pretty big one, should have been ironed out before releasing this new format to public use. This one is as bad as game manufacturers releasing extremely buggy games on the public with promises or not of fixes down the road instead of using a little quality control and solving all but very minor bugs before release. This menu bug is a major bug and not a minor one and should have been fixed before general release. How can one get familiar with a program as a few have urged here when half the program is broken?

Major bug in new Nexus format - developers please read and address this.

The menu button in the new Nexus design does not work properly. When you go to open it and select another option like today's mods under mods in the drop down menu it goes to the all mods page automatically not just the today's mods page, or forum in the drop down menu for Nexus Network it goes automatically to the Nexus homepage instead of the forum page. In other words the when you want to use the items in the drop down menus of the menu section it always reverts to the first item in that drop down menu. Often times without you even having the time to choose an option. Hence the menu section of the new Nexus design is broken and in need of fixing so that all the drop down menu items in it work and go to the pages they are supposed to go to. I have to get to the forum by google now because of this problem with the new Nexus format.

I think the bugs - and this is a pretty big one, should have been ironed out before releasing this new format to public use. This one is as bad as game manufacturers releasing extremely buggy games on the public with promises or not of fixes down the road instead of using a little quality control and solving all but very minor bugs before release. This menu bug is a major bug and not a minor one and should have been fixed before general release. How can one get familiar with a program as a few have urged here when half the program is broken?

Can you perhaps be a little more specific? I'm having a hard time trying to replicate your issue(s).

The "Mods" Pulldown button correctly pulls down when I hover over it, and when I click on "Today's mods" I'm getting exactly there, nowhere else. If you "click" the Pulldown buttons, you'll be led to the first page of each, yes, but Pulldown buttons aren't to be clicked but hovered over to pull down. And it doesn't go to any page, while I'm still only hovering over them, until I actually click on an entry inside.

The "Nexus Network" button though was last seen on the "old" design. I can't find it on the new. And for what it's worth, the pulldown buttons on the old design worked exactly the same.

There is chances where JavaScript, usually due to a script error, not unlikely from one of the occasional temporary bogus ads, doesn't get properly initialized, or even blocked by falsely configured browser add-ons, on your end. If that's the case, then no scripted functionality, which is what pulldowns and the like are, will work. So if your pulldowns don't pull down when you hover over them, check your browser plugins for blocking JavaScript on Nexus, or your browser's JavaScript console for errors, or maybe try with a different browser as well to eliminate potential causes.

And if you confirmed something as being a bug with the new sites, and nothing else, please use the bug tracker for reports, so it'll be seen and acted on quicker. This topic isn't primarily for bug reports, so they might get too easily drowned in other feedback.

Old site you can find what you are searching for, new site very hard to navigate. If I wanted the "most popular" mod vs what I am really looking for I would use steam workshop.

I find it to be the contrary. I find the new search function to be quite a lot better than what it was on the old design. The moment you start typing in the search box, there's a drop-down menu that appears with possible results. The latter is adapted on the fly as you type more, which is very convenient...

And if the new site is very hard to navigate, then I advise you to never go on a sailing trip on your own. We might never see you again, even when you didn't go further than a hundred yards from the shore. Which would also mean we'd have very poor eyesight, but it was metaphorically speaking.