Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

Add requierements to mods to become eligible to the system can be a good idea.... for example each mod must have 500/1000 endorsements or 10000/20000 unique downloads. I think this rule can dissuade certain people to get tempted to release 50 sluty version of Lydia mods per day and encourage quality over quantity.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56136371. #56138101, #56140096, #56141861, #56143336 are all replies on the same post.

megamanx503 wrote: please correct me if i'm wrong about this because i'm paranoid about "paid mods"

will this mean modders can make there mods "paid" like how the CC is all paid mods, or will this be "hey good modders get money from donations while the mods are still free for the users, aka, no paywall for mods"
H3X1C wrote: Please read the post in it's entirety
megamanx503 wrote: i have read it, and i can't find the spot where they say clearly that "it's not paid mods"
Finaldeath1689 wrote: The whole thing clearly states that it's not paid mods. For users nothing will change, you can still download and use any mod on the site completely free. For mod makers there will be a pool of money each month made up from money from Nexus itself and people who decide to donate towards that pool, that pool of money will be distributed in the form of points based on the number of mods and number of unique downloads each of those mods has in that time frame, those points can then be used towards a variety of things.
Totalstupidity wrote: It will be paid mods later, but for now they plan to draw the line a little closer in the sand as they slowly inch towards that while making people comfortable with the changes. Corporations do that all the time. Saw it done with DLC, microtransactions, and B2P/B2P games, you know, the stuff that ruined gaming. Like right now Valve is working to make Workshop the must have modding system and it has mostly killed Nexus, and so Valve will be bringing back paid mods again in the next few years, but this time for many games.

Mods here will never be paid, the second they start selling mods is the second they get flooded with lawsuits from the devs/publishers of every game this site hosts mods for. There is not a single game out there that allows paid mods, donations are already riding the line and for most games mods are against the tos entirely. Edited by Finaldeath1689

I don't understand the confusion by so many (the paid mod questions and what not). Dark0ne (nexus) is giving money out of his (nexus') pocket to mod authors based on downloads as (a very small) incentive to keep creating mods and as a thank you for uploading to Nexus (1,000,000 unique downloads would be $1,000). Users don't pay. Authors don't get rich. There are options to turn it on or off per user/mod. You can gift your points to community members who may need some system upgrades so that they can continue working on mods or whatever...more moderators are being put to work to keep an eye on the site... and that's what was written. Edited by GamerPoets

In response to post #56143426.

TheFirstEnD wrote: Add requierements to mods to become eligible to the system can be a good idea.... for example each mod must have 500/1000 endorsements or 10000/20000 unique downloads. I think this rule can dissuade certain people to get tempted to release 50 sluty version of Lydia mods per day and encourage quality over quantity.

They'd all receive 200 downloads in total. Who cares?

In response to post #56136371. #56138101, #56140096, #56141861, #56143336, #56143806 are all replies on the same post.

megamanx503 wrote: please correct me if i'm wrong about this because i'm paranoid about "paid mods"

will this mean modders can make there mods "paid" like how the CC is all paid mods, or will this be "hey good modders get money from donations while the mods are still free for the users, aka, no paywall for mods"
H3X1C wrote: Please read the post in it's entirety
megamanx503 wrote: i have read it, and i can't find the spot where they say clearly that "it's not paid mods"
Finaldeath1689 wrote: The whole thing clearly states that it's not paid mods. For users nothing will change, you can still download and use any mod on the site completely free. For mod makers there will be a pool of money each month made up from money from Nexus itself and people who decide to donate towards that pool, that pool of money will be distributed in the form of points based on the number of mods and number of unique downloads each of those mods has in that time frame, those points can then be used towards a variety of things.
Totalstupidity wrote: It will be paid mods later, but for now they plan to draw the line a little closer in the sand as they slowly inch towards that while making people comfortable with the changes. Corporations do that all the time. Saw it done with DLC, microtransactions, and B2P/B2P games, you know, the stuff that ruined gaming. Like right now Valve is working to make Workshop the must have modding system and it has mostly killed Nexus, and so Valve will be bringing back paid mods again in the next few years, but this time for many games.
Finaldeath1689 wrote: Mods here will never be paid, the second they start selling mods is the second they get flooded with lawsuits from the devs/publishers of every game this site hosts mods for. There is not a single game out there that allows paid mods, donations are already riding the line and for most games mods are against the tos entirely.

It's a reward, nobody will pay you to make mods here.

"It will be paid mods later,[...]." Please stop making up imaginary situations based on your dreams from last night.

Add requierements to mods to become eligible to the system can be a good idea.... for example each mod must have 500/1000 endorsements or 10000/20000 unique downloads. I think this rule can dissuade certain people to get tempted to release 50 sluty version of Lydia mods per day and encourage quality over quantity.

That's just an example as you say but I don't know if that's an upper level or so but sounds a lot to me. 10 000 unique downloads would take a while to get. At least at my current modding level. While it probably would raise the quality of mods it would also lock people out of the system as I see it, but I suppose it's give or take since you also don't want a bunch of low effort skimpy mods just to get points. :)

So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.

Well played! Well played indeed.

Edited by OutLaw666

In response to post #56144671.

OutLaw666 wrote: So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.

The article said that at no point.

So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.

No. Not at all. I am not sure where you even got that idea.

What is going to happen is thus:

- Mod authors will earn 'donation points' based on unique downloads (or similar). This will be an opt-in thing. Mod authors can also share the 'donation points' with others.

- 'Donation points' can be redeemed for money, vouchers, or even games or PC hardware.

- The funding to pay for all of this is coming from the Nexus' profits. In other words, the Nexus gets funding from ads and supporter/premium subscriptions. What is left over from server costs, site maintenance, staff pay, etc. will go towards this new system.

- Users can still donate straight to the mod author(s) as normal.

- There may be an option for users to donate money into the 'donation point' fund.

- Everyone will still get their completely free mods. 'Paid mods' will not be a thing.

It's frustrating to see how many people have "read" this post and still had a go about "paid mods". If you can't understand the terminology in this post, you shouldn't be here in the first place. This is an extremely well thought out process and is a clear and obvious leader in the mod donation front. Well done to the Nexus team! Good show! Edited by dayday8421