Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56279206. #56280316, #56292581 are all replies on the same post.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Did anyone on nexus notice there was Christmas this year? @Dark0ne You still think news section and public messages on this site are just fine?
Ethreon wrote: They seem perfectly fine. Or did you expect him to make a christmas post or what?
Airbreathers wrote: I can understand if you think that Robin should have left this post for only mod Authors, That's with me having Zero mods, that would make sense to me, but I really appreciate Dark0ne deciding to share this with every user, to me it show that Robin respects the nexus's patrons. Letting us know ahead of time so that we could all talk it out is really best for the community.

Also to every one I hope you had a good Holiday if you had one, MysteriousGuy is kinda right, We should be more thankful for each other. So thanks Man.

300 millions christians celebrate Christmas on January 7

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a pity that such a system will motivate authors to release 100 mods instead of one overhaul. THE HD retexture of egg, The HD retexture of nail.. All would be well if it's not Esp, 100 esp instead of one - is horror for users

Edited by park9

I say Kudos to Nexus for trying out something new. But as others have mentioned, I think this first shot will backfire. But hopefully it will be refined into something that works.

Personally, I don't like the fact that it will discourage complex mods and overhauls. I fear it will also anger Bethesda, because the system essentially encourages mod authors to pull their mods from other sites and force everyone to download from here. I dont think Bethesda will say "don't do that". Instead, they will just put code in place that requires all Bethesda game mods to come from Bethesda servers.

I think the pool is a good idea, but I think it should be treated as a members-only, private internal lottery focused on authors, not mods. When mod authors download some modding tools (the creation kit), we/they agreed to a legal disclaimer saying we/they won't make money directory OR INDIRECTLY from the mods. But nexus supports more than just mods. It supports images, articles, videos (Machinima), save games, batch files, executable programs. A content author is vague and doesn't have to equate to a mod. Focusing monetary rewards on content authors and not specifically mods helps avoid the legal issue of saying the money is somehow related to a specific MOD that was created with Bethesda Tools. It also allows the system to consider an authors previous works.

I think there should be a smaller number of "winners" each month (maybe 10?), and getting elected to win the lottery should use a lottery election system similar to kudos but new. Results and leaderboards should be visible to the public, but voting ability should be limited to premium members and users who donated to the current months pot. (Give everyone the button, but tell them what they need to do when they click on it). Allow eligible voters to elect up to 10 other content creators a month.

Require a minimum vote to qualify. And If someone wins the pool, they can't win again for 1 year. Any monetary gains by using botnets or fake accounts would be negated by the cost of making a minimum donation and meeting the minimum vote requirements. Such a system would not discourage large mods or push mod authors to pull their mods from other sites and would stand up better in court if a lawyer tried to claim the money was paying users for a mods since technically the lottery would be open to all content authors.

My two cents.

(Original Post Edited to include legal concerns)

Edited by Dheuster

In response to post #56279206. #56280316, #56292581, #56377416 are all replies on the same post.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Did anyone on nexus notice there was Christmas this year? @Dark0ne You still think news section and public messages on this site are just fine?
Ethreon wrote: They seem perfectly fine. Or did you expect him to make a christmas post or what?
Airbreathers wrote: I can understand if you think that Robin should have left this post for only mod Authors, That's with me having Zero mods, that would make sense to me, but I really appreciate Dark0ne deciding to share this with every user, to me it show that Robin respects the nexus's patrons. Letting us know ahead of time so that we could all talk it out is really best for the community.

Also to every one I hope you had a good Holiday if you had one, MysteriousGuy is kinda right, We should be more thankful for each other. So thanks Man.
park9 wrote: 300 millions christians celebrate Christmas on January 7

@Ethreon is your live mission to be nexus team butt plug or something like that? Your nexus fanboyism is really disturbing. Please stay away from me.

@park9 Interesting observation. Nexus doesn't care.

Why not wait for authors to actually release 100 mods in an attempt to game the system? Instead of doing baseless predictions i mean. Some authors currently release big mods, others release small mods. What usually happens is small mods get less unique downloads, just check top mods and you will find immersive weapons/armors, you will find unique uniques, you wont find "hd forks". So is releasing many small mods actually a way to boost unique downloads and therefore game the system? Im not as sure as others seem to be. We'll have to wait and see. Edited by FrankFamily

Why not wait for authors to actually release 100 mods in an attempt to game the system? Instead of doing baseless predictions i mean. Some authors currently release big mods, others release small mods. What usually happens is small mods get less unique downloads, just check top mods and you will find immersive weapons/armors. So is releasing many small mods actually a way to boost unique downloads and therefore game the system? Im not as sure as others seem to be.

Ewi65 isn't a member of Nexusmods anymore. So no more, HD Eggs, HD Nails, HD Moss, HD Cheese Mold, HD Yarn, and HD Dust.

Seriously, I don't see mod authors wanting to waste time releasing a bunch of crappy one-off mods to game the system--it would take a lot of such mods, and the reward isn't worth it. What, $25 or $50 in the Nexus Store?

My only suggestion, Dark0ne, would be to take on Etsy and create your own back-pages here on the Nexus that are run like classifieds. That way, the Nexus isn't directly profiting from Skyrim, per se, thus avoiding legal trouble, and you just sit back and collect 10% of all transactions. Why? Because all those fans on Etsy will start selling their Skyrim swag on the Nexus, instead, and the Nexus makes the money, not Etsy.

There is literally so much swag on Etsy that I'm amazed they haven't been sued by Bethesda--you can find everything from shirts to wall art to professionally-made props and replicas. There has to be a reason why they aren't, and Nexus could just copy their methodology.

Then the Nexus would truly be a nexus of gaming fans, for gaming fans. And Nexus would make a lot more money.

Don't worry, I've already got the first t-shirts designed and ready to roll, just send me the word, Dark0ne. lol I'll gladly give you ten percent and finally be able to buy a full lifetime membership. :tongue:

In response to post #56386676.

twowolves80 wrote:

Why not wait for authors to actually release 100 mods in an attempt to game the system? Instead of doing baseless predictions i mean. Some authors currently release big mods, others release small mods. What usually happens is small mods get less unique downloads, just check top mods and you will find immersive weapons/armors. So is releasing many small mods actually a way to boost unique downloads and therefore game the system? Im not as sure as others seem to be.

Ewi65 isn't a member of Nexusmods anymore. So no more, HD Eggs, HD Nails, HD Moss, HD Cheese Mold, HD Yarn, and HD Dust.

Seriously, I don't see mod authors wanting to waste time releasing a bunch of crappy one-off mods to game the system--it would take a lot of such mods, and the reward isn't worth it. What, $25 or $50 in the Nexus Store?

My only suggestion, Dark0ne, would be to take on Etsy and create your own back-pages here on the Nexus that are run like classifieds. That way, the Nexus isn't directly profiting from Skyrim, per se, thus avoiding legal trouble, and you just sit back and collect 10% of all transactions. Why? Because all those fans on Etsy will start selling their Skyrim swag on the Nexus, instead, and the Nexus makes the money, not Etsy.

There is literally so much swag on Etsy that I'm amazed they haven't been sued by Bethesda--you can find everything from shirts to wall art to professionally-made props and replicas. There has to be a reason why they aren't, and Nexus could just copy their methodology.

Then the Nexus would truly be a nexus of gaming fans, for gaming fans. And Nexus would make a lot more money.

Don't worry, I've already got the first t-shirts designed and ready to roll, just send me the word, Dark0ne. lol I'll gladly give you ten percent and finally be able to buy a full lifetime membership. :tongue:

Ewi65 isn't a member of Nexusmods anymore. So no more

What did YOU mod lately ? Here says 0.

In response to post #56386676.

twowolves80 wrote:

Ewi65 isn't a member of Nexusmods anymore. So no more

What did YOU mod lately ? Here says 0.

So? What is your point? That because I haven't made any mods, I must therefore have no idea what I'm talking about? I happen to know Ewi65 rather well and what I said there is nothing I haven't told him to his face, and we both had a laugh about it.

My point still stands. The amount of effort isn't worth the reward just to game the system, and Dark0ne has said as much, too.

this seems good idea, it may motivate some people to do more serious modding

but this could lead to bad fatal idea...

the copyright issue to monetize the download count will be great deal of issues

I'm pretty sure this idea will create many syndicate or individuals that exploit this system

it will create many plagiarism so much more

so....

I suggest that only certain member that get this benefit,

to prevent or maybe can stop the plagiarism

requirement that can be considered fair :

- the member must have certain number of download

- kudos or something like that

- the member activity checked by admin and make sure the member is not some BOT or syndicate or evil individual that want to exploit system

- registered in nexus modding group something like that, get token or acceptance from admin something like that

- etc etc...

Edited by lubronbrons