Managing the Load Order...

acdover

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@1ae0bfb8

I was a slow learner. It took me at least two hours for Fallout 4 with about 200 mods and Skyrim SE with about 120 mods.

When I very first started with Vortex way back with 0.15.xx, (maybe earlier) it took me several hours, because I was trying to make it work like NMM.

I even started BRING BACK MANUAL SORTING threads, and jumped into every single Sorting thread demanding Manual Drag and Drop sorting.

I had printed out my Fallout 4 load order from NMM, and tried to force Vortex to recreate that load order.

All I got were constant CYCLIC RULES and the screen looked like a bird's nest when I brought it up to delete the rules.

It ended up also showing me, just how messed up I had my load order set with NMM.

With Vortex, I have a virtually crash-free game setup now, while the original load order I had in NMM would usually CTD on a regular basis after a certain amount of time.

It wasn't until it dawned on me that Vortex does the PLUGIN Load order sorting for you, and allows you to sort the load order of the TEXTURES, MESHES, BSA, BA2 etc instead.

Once I "got" that, I reduced the amount of time it took me to get a game modded.

Looks like the issues I'm having have been going on for some time:

-------------------Quote from Pinned Forum Topic ----------------------------

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Beep Boop

• photo-17777670.jpg?_r=1504621151
  • Premium Member
  • icon_green_premium.png
  • 742 posts

Manual load order isn't a thing: this is covered in Tannin's post in the feedback forum.

Plugin order only matters where plugins have dependencies, or conflicts. If you want one plugin to always load after another plugin, for whatever reason, set a dependency so that plugin will load after. Then when you click sort Vortex will always respect that order.

If you want to make it, so, like, all your house mods are sorted next to each other, you're being silly as the game doesn't care about that one bit :tongue: That said the sort should put them pretty close to each other.

post_offline.png Ethreon

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hobo Feral

• photo-8204458.jpg?_r=1463267247
  • Supporter
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 13,573 posts

And you're being "silly" telling me that is silly. Well this kinda kills vortex for me."

---------------End Quote---------------------------------

Sorry for the copy/paste mess. and no, I'm not exaggerating regarding time spent. I'm not unwilling to learn, the application is not functioning as demonstrated in many tutorials, i.e. manipulating assignment of load order for mods. It's frustrating that not even assigning dependencies rules functions properly. Perhaps its a bug, or perhaps it's a POS, until it's resolved, I'll move to another Mod Manager or come up with some other work around when I get the time.

Edited by danc010

@danc010

Looks like the issues I'm having have been going on for some time:

The issues discussed in the two posts referenced in your comment have nothing to do with the problems you appear to have. In January 2018 Vortex was still in alpha testing. There was a lively and excellent debate about Vortex load order management, to which Thallassa and Ethreon contributed. The debate focused on the pros and cons of the Vortex approach to load order. The debate had nothing to do with troubleshooting extant user load order issues and failures.

Once again, if you want help with your current issues, please take them to the Vortex Support Forum using the guidelines found here: How to Request Vortex Support.

Sorry for the copy/paste mess. and no, I'm not exaggerating regarding time spent. I'm not unwilling to learn, the application is not functioning as demonstrated in many tutorials, i.e. manipulating assignment of load order for mods. It's frustrating that not even assigning dependencies rules functions properly. Perhaps its a bug, or perhaps it's a POS, until it's resolved, I'll move to another Mod Manager or come up with some other work around when I get the time.

Well, you keep on complaining and never tell us the problem, so we can't help you.

Your one copied and pasted post about someone complaining about Vortex doesn't help your cause.

I'm definitely seeing a load order problem now. It was working well for about 10 hours of gameplay with over 100 mods, then all plugins were mysteriously disabled at some point after installing a patch plugin for JK's Skyrim and Winterhold Restored (could be pure coincidence, but that was the last change made). I re-enabled the plugins manually, and now the load order is incorrect. There is a rule that says load Mod B after Mod A, but the load order has Mod A in position 57 and Mod B in position 28. The rule was working properly before. I thought that perhaps auto-sorting didn't fire after the manual re-enabling, so I hit the "Sort Now" button, but the order is still incorrect. It was working fine up until this point. I haven't done any additional checking to see if the other rules are working correctly.

Edit: I decided to try reinstalling Mod B. I completely removed it, including the archive. I then re-installed it, but was not prompted to resolve conflicts with mod A. I checked the rules, and the previous rule was still defined, so apparently rules stay in place even if a mod involved in the rule is removed.

Edited by blitzen