Managing the Load Order...

acdover

@blitzen

What mods are you talking about, and what is the rule?

As I explained, the rule was to resolve a conflict between two mods. Which specific mods isn't relevant. The rule was to load one mod after the other. I go into some detail in my first post in this topic.

Specific mods IS relevant, because they may already have a built in sorting rule.

The fact that you refuse to give any info for any problem you keep reporting, tells me you don't WANT any help, you just want to complain and cause trouble.

Not in this scenario. As I explained, one of the mods is uncategorized and unrecognized because it was a local file that could not be mapped to the Nexus. This tells me that you aren't reading carefully, and are jumping to conclusions.

This tells me that you have NO CLUE how Vortex works.

Just because the mod is uncategorized and unrecognized by the NEXUS, doesn't mean that it's Unrecognized and Uncategorized by LOOT.

I'm not going to respond anymore though, you aren't giving any info, and are just here to complain, and insult the people trying to help.

I'm just going to report your posts from now on, you're being nothing but combative.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was more informational than a request for assistance, or I would have posted in the support forum. There seemed to be some statements implying that everything regarding Vortex is perfect and all problems are user error, which struck me as unrealistic. I will look into it further at some point. This is a new installation, and I have some cleanup to do in some of the sloppy plugins that make unexpected modifications unrelated to the mods' purposes. Specifying a load order rule for conflict resolution and having it ignored is a concern. I recently created a separate user-defined rule for ordering of the two mods, so I will see if that has the desired effect. The drag-and-drop functionality was a bit clumsy, since it involved scrolling during the drag, which took multiple attempts for each single scroll action. It would have been simple to get them on the same page using filter-by-category, but one of the mods was a conversion from Oldrim that did not have a category assigned, and I did not find a way to edit the category for a single mod, something that was very easy in NMM. I only saw a way to create new categories, or rename existing categories.

1. Yea....about user error.

2. As far as MODS go, you should only be sorting mods on the mods tab, that have conflicts.

If you're trying to manually sort Mods and the Mods page with no Conflicts, then you're doing it wrong, because there's ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to "Sort" MODS that have no Conflicts.

3. If you're Dragging to sort on the Plugins Page, then, you'd find it easier to just click on MANAGE RULES and open up the Rule Editing popup (shown below)

1. This statement is unclear.

2. If you had read my first post, you would see that the conflict resolution rule was not working correctly.

3. I will try this. That's helpful.

@blitzen

What mods are you talking about, and what is the rule?

As I explained, the rule was to resolve a conflict between two mods. Which specific mods isn't relevant. The rule was to load one mod after the other. I go into some detail in my first post in this topic.

Specific mods IS relevant, because they may already have a built in sorting rule.

The fact that you refuse to give any info for any problem you keep reporting, tells me you don't WANT any help, you just want to complain and cause trouble.

Not in this scenario. As I explained, one of the mods is uncategorized and unrecognized because it was a local file that could not be mapped to the Nexus. This tells me that you aren't reading carefully, and are jumping to conclusions.

This tells me that you have NO CLUE how Vortex works.

Just because the mod is uncategorized and unrecognized by the NEXUS, doesn't mean that it's Unrecognized and Uncategorized by LOOT.

I'm not going to respond anymore though, you aren't giving any info, and are just here to complain, and insult the people trying to help.

I'm just going to report your posts from now on, you're being nothing but combative.

Yes. This is known as projection. You are arrogant, hostile and insulting to people that come on here and throw a tantrum when you get a taste of your own medicine. Child. I may start reporting your posts.

And I have some idea of how Vortex works, and have quite a bit of experience with LOOT. Neither one is going to recognize a custom local mod. And even if it did, the conflict rule should override it. Get over yourself.

Clarification for the community (not this clown): You can create custom local mods and load from file. In fact, I install all mods from local files I download separately. I had a mod that I ported from Oldrim. I made a lot of changes and renamed things, including the archive, which now contained no identifying information, and the plugin was renamed. It wasn't recognized by Vortex and would not be recognized by LOOT, which is embedded in Vortex. Notice how often these "helpers" make many assumptions and seldom ask questions, and consider it an opportunity to attack people and says things like "THIS TELLS ME YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW VORTEX WORKS, UNLIKE ME WHO IS GODLIKE AND KNOW EVERYTHING! PEASANT!" What kind of people do this? It's a constant refrain.

Edited by blitzen

@blitzen You are very off topic so I'm not going to reply (beyond this) and I'd prefer if others didn't either.

This thread is about a supposed systematic shortcoming of the rule-based load ordering that necessitates a completely different approach.

What you're reporting would be a bug in the implementation that can be fixed and then that's that.

You say "It was more informational than a request for assistance" but I don't know what the point is then. You say there is a bug but you don't want to report it in a way that can we investigate, you don't want assistance in resolving it and your post isn't relevant to what's being discussed here. So what is your intention?

@Tannin42 Fair points. When I say it was informational, it was prompted by a statement in the topic along the lines of "well a lot of people aren't having issues with load order so it must be user error", which may actually turn out to be true for that case, but isn't logical, since there is no way of really knowing. I was unappreciative of the cursory dismissal of someone's problem, so my intent was simply to add this as an additional data point. My particular issue may, in fact, be a bug, but I would prefer to investigate it a bit and also see if this is happening anywhere else before screaming "BUG!". My immediate goal is really to get a basic, modded installation working, and apply a number of custom edits. In summary, I'm just adding a data point to the discussion. That is all. I had no goals beyond that at this point. Unfortunately, the circus showed up and started their act, which I've already seen.

@blitzen You are very off topic so I'm not going to reply (beyond this) and I'd prefer if others didn't either.

This thread is about a supposed systematic shortcoming of the rule-based load ordering that necessitates a completely different approach.

What you're reporting would be a bug in the implementation that can be fixed and then that's that.

You say "It was more informational than a request for assistance" but I don't know what the point is then. You say there is a bug but you don't want to report it in a way that can we investigate, you don't want assistance in resolving it and your post isn't relevant to what's being discussed here. So what is your intention?

Uh, I do have an actual question about this, and it's relevant to the discussion, so perhaps a reply is warranted? When referring to "rule-based" load ordering shortcomings, are people distinguishing between rules specified at the time of conflict resolution, and "user-defined" rules that are added separately? I had a problem with a rule created during conflict resolution. I don't know about the user-defined rule that I added yet. I used the standalone version of LOOT for quite a while and added many rules over time, and did not see any problems with it.

Q. When is an "additional data point" not a data point?

A. When no information is provided that will allow others to try to replicate the problem and seek a solution.

No. A data point is simply a bit of information. When doing a statistical analysis, one collects data, then examines the data for trends and patterns. Nothing about an individual datum is related to solving a problem. It's just data. Just because something isn't useful to you personally, does not mean it isn't data. What you are referring to is a bug report. This was not a valid, useful bug report, nor was it intended to be. If I were to provide an actual bug report, I would have more information, and would follow proper procedure. This topic is for discussing this issue in general. More data points is better. Why do I have to explain this to you?

I have updated information. The separate user-defined rule is working, so the mods are now in the correct relative order. If anyone has a load order problem where conflicting mods aren't ordered properly according to the rule created at the time of conflict resolution, try creating a separate rule. This now has me concerned about the other conflicts and their rules.

Edited by blitzen