Managing the Load Order...

acdover

I just want to take a moment and praise what has come from Vortex. I am not an alpha user, but I do have an acquaintance who got through. One thing he is rather upset about is the fact he can't rearrange his load order.

However, I think that is smart on the part of the Vortex Dev Team. Yes, it is nice to be able to rearrange your load order at your own will, especially when LOOT or BOSS doesn't recognize an issue. But it seems, that an overlooked thing in LOOT is the fact that you can set rules to ensure where the "unrecognized plugin" can be sorted, and now we see it in Vortex.

I think it's better for long term modding as every time a load order is sorted, unrecognized plugins will be sorted away and you will have to drag them in place. But through setting rules, this will save time for the mod user for not having to go back to each unrecognized plugin every time the load order is sorted.

I think the solution currently in play is better, although it is different to what I think most people are used too.

so do you want to write a 100 rules and then you cant even do it like load this in the 7 slot. You have to load this after this and do this repeated via a clumsy dropdown menu. Loot is good for what it does but because of the different communities it is not accurate by any means. I don't even know what it uses when it comes to LL Mods.

If you have a problem that you want addressed by others in this forum, then you would do well to start a new thread instead of necroing an old one. In describing your issue, follow these guidelines: How to Request Vortex Support.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Load Order management is one thing I don't like about Vortex. Since it uses LOOT exclusively, and LOOT doesn't get things right 100% of the time, you really need to watch out for compatibility recommendations from the mod authors. For example, with what I'm dealing with, RaceMenu is compatible with Imperious, however Enai recommends that Imperious be loaded after RaceMenu. With LOOT sorting Imperious won't load after RaceMenu unless you create a rule. Thing is, for noob modders, setting LOOT rules might difficult to understand. On top of that, since I only just noticed my load order was wrong I need to remake all of my patches which is a fairly lengthy process. I'm tempted to go back to MO because at least with that it's easy to fix the load order when LOOT gets it wrong. Also we need a way to use LOOT metadata from sources such as STEP, for example they have metadata for the recommended load order for Relationship Dialogue Overhaul, which LOOT always messes up. Edited by Uriah098

> ...you really need to watch out for compatibility recommendations from the mod authors

You always need to do that. You act like with NMM where you have to set the load order for all plugins manually you could ignore compatibility problems.

> Thing is, for noob modders, setting LOOT rules might difficult to understand.

With LOOT you have to set rules for a small fraction of your mods. With manual ordering you have to set the load order for all plugins manually. Yes, the act of drag&dropping a plugin may be more intuitive than creating rules but that isn't what actually matters, is it?

Are you suggesting that the part where you have to figure out where the plugins are supposed to go in the first place is easy for noob modders?

The load order management in mod managers is just a tool, you still have to know how to use, e.g. which plugins you can combine, which of them conflict and how to order them to get them to load correctly. LOOT provides guidance, providing a very strong starting point out of the box as well as notifications if plugins are incompatible, obsolete or require a compatibility patch.

A simple drag&drop system does none of that, you have to figure it all out outside the tool.

> On top of that, since I only just noticed my load order was wrong I need to remake all of my patches which is a fairly lengthy process.

Would that have been any different if you had only just noticed that your manually managed load order was wrong?

> Also we need a way to use LOOT metadata from sources such as STEP

The LOOT masterlist is community supported, anyone can submit masterlist rules, including the STEP people.

Welp, looks like I just got served. Maybe since I'm used to manually fixing a load order after LOOT sorted it from the time I used MO1 playing a modded Skyrim a few years back. The rule creation system in Vortex as it is works just fine, but being new to this system is what made my previous biases more apparent I suppose. My apologies.

Edited by Uriah098

It's fine, I have full sympathy for anyone who is used to another way of doing things and doesn't want to relearn. Please understand that us making Vortex this way is not meant as a statement of "this is how everyone should do it". We believe it's a very approachable and less error prone way for new users while still being powerful for advanced users. We're not saying it's the only way of doing it or that everyone needs to switch.

• 2 months later...

Vortex doesnt let you "GRAB" anything and drag it ANywhere! Please show pics showing how this is done please. Its so easy to point fingers and act like all of us are morons. Im tekling you that whgen looking at my "Mods" tab it will not let me right click or left click and move anything around@!

• 4 weeks later...

The Dependencies and Load Order columns are not shown by default. It's pretty easy to imagine a new users doesn't know they can configure their visible columns using the gear icon in the upper right. If folks worked as hard at finding a good reason for a question as they do bashing people and tearing them down then things might go a little smoother.

The Dependencies and Load Order columns are not shown by default. It's pretty easy to imagine a new users doesn't know they can configure their visible columns using the gear icon in the upper right. If folks worked as hard at finding a good reason for a question as they do bashing people and tearing them down then things might go a little smoother.

?