Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #57637071. #57653356 is also a reply to the same post.

VincentPlays4Keeps wrote: My first impression after just a few hours of using it, this is very well thought out and Vortex will be everything MO users and NMM users want. They just might not know it yet. Seriously, I am very pleased with Vortex so far and once Gopher gets some videos out explaining how to use it from a beginners point of view, I expect Vortex will soon be adopted by the majority of users. Very nice work to all involved in the project. Thank you!

P.S. To clarify certain questions I've seen people wondering about...
Vortex does not put mods in the games data folder, it puts hard links. To get a clean data folder just disable your mods within Vortex.
Also, you only have to install vortex to the same drive your steam installed game is on. So if steam is on the D: drive for example, you install Vortex on that drive, not C. Anyways, just clarifying, I hope.
mcdanielskh wrote: Really? did you find a way to hide texture files in a overwriting mod that you might not want to overwrite? What I see is a one or the other deal. To do what I could do with MO to have the texture diversity that I want I have to repackage my textures manually..

I believe Tannin has said that per file overwrites are coming though right now it is one conflicting moid totally overwriting any conflicts with another mod.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy, someone here said that I have to install vortex to same drive that my steam is installed to? What if I have steam to use 2 drives? SSD and HDD depending on the game.

Am I stuck and need to choose one drive and use it for modable games?

In response to post #57658006.

VirusZ wrote: Guy, someone here said that I have to install vortex to same drive that my steam is installed to? What if I have steam to use 2 drives? SSD and HDD depending on the game.

They were likely referring to setting the install path of mods (not vortex itself) to the same drive the game the mods are for. For bethesda this is necessary as the mods need to be on the same drive for hardlinks. Vortex itself could be installed anywhere though Nexus advises to install it to the C drive.

In response to post #57589691. #57598431, #57599596, #57600696, #57607326, #57607936, #57608341, #57609276, #57619976 are all replies on the same post.

HelelBenShahaar wrote: At first glance, I can only repeat what I said to SirSalami: this thing frightens me.

I can't really understand anything I see there. Doesn't look very user friendly, all things considered.

I never used Mod Organizer, but I tried Wrye Bash for a short time. Looking back at them, their interfaces looked ancient as hell. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not good in my experience. I never actually got used to WB and I don't think I'll ever be using MO.

However, Vortex's interface looks too modern. Looks more aesthetic than functional to be honest. This may not sit well with some users. Doesn't sit well with me, that's for sure.

To put it the best I can, as far as interfaces were concerned: WB and MO looked like Windows 95 and Windows 2000, respectively. NMM looks like Windows XP. Vortex looks like Windows 10.

I have a feeling that this was a too large of a leap from NMM's simple and very useful mechs. Like you skipped the metaphorical Windows 7.

Highly unlikely that my voice will mean a bloody thing in a long run, but at least I said what was on my soul.
Anqayas wrote: I agree. It feels weird, hard to use.
r0ck7y wrote: i think the whole interface will change after they leave the alpha as they said somewhere else before that's they haven't started on the interface yet and it will be planned later when Vortex is stable and ready. still not sure if that's what they meant or i understood it wrong.
Valyn81 wrote: sound to me like they are never satisfied. "Its old and too simple" to "I don't like xp", now "it is too modern and hightech!" Please, stop being an old fart and learn to adapt.

MO is super simple if you take a little time to learn it; NMM was SUPER simple and cause more issues than it resolved; Vortex should be a happy mid between them or simply a new and inventive way to make our gaming experience easier.
RadioactiveStud wrote: I had trouble understanding at first too but once you get used to it, it is great.
bigd4450 wrote: unfortunately there are a lot of old fart's out here, (I proudly count myself as one, 60 years old really soon). XP was good, a nice step from 98. windows 8 sucked, too big of a change, too much to try to learn for the sake of ... aesthetics. at this point 10, a decent mix, still not really liked. I just want to push a button and have it work, don't want to relearn how to do something that was really simple a couple of months ago for the sake of ... aesthetics?
GeneralJohn wrote: I don't understand what people find hard about using it - I mean if you just sit there and look at it for a minute or two, it's all very self explanatory, I understood how to use it within a few minutes...
KeltecRFB wrote: And easier to use than MO and MO2. People are caught up that since Tannin developed it, it is like MO. This is not even close, MOs were much more involved than this. We will see if it handles TTW as good as FOMM or MO did.
KeltecRFB wrote: Ok, now I see the MO'ism but don't fear them. It actually helps you make your game more stable once you figure how to use them. Look up the conflicts (aka dependencies) at the mod's website and load accordingly. There may be some trial and error. As for those with no masters, just disable those. Make sure to fix loose files. I am thinking for small load orders, you can be a novice and install Vortex but the larger the NMM install is, you may want to be more intermediate level or start from scratch installing your new game.

I am still working on getting me install working.

I realize that any comment here is like a fart in the wind, no one really notices. From what I'm reading it seems as though a lot of the Nexus community would rather spend the first hour or so of your gamming time checking load order, dependencies, and what ever the words/actions that seem to have to happen when YOU down load mods. Personally I would rather not. One button, activate, two minutes later I'm in game. Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about in most of your post, and I really don't want to know, I don't want to spend the next six months trying to figure out what your talking about or how to implement these things. Push button and play, an occasional mod that didn't meet my expectations, delete, and on with the game. Over 950 times, occasionally run LOOT, I have no idea what LOOT does, I just run it because someone told me it was a good idea. I don't want to delve into the inner workings and I don't want to know how it works. Push button, play game like I do now with NMM.

Hi,

I have imported my mods from MO and activated them but they still do not show in the plugins and get the error "Mods can't be deployed".

Did fresh install of Vortex (default install location and selective install location) than download fresh mods from Nexus, installed and activated them and still they do not show in plugins and get the same error "Mods can't be deployed".

Ran Fallout 4 and still no mods are active.

Running Win 10 x64, 32gb memory. Any ideas??. Thanks.

Edited by kranky1260

Oh jee! I'd love to test Vortex, but sincerely I'm not confident enough of my ability to give proper feedback.

Anyways, I will be following its development and in a future, more complete and less risky release I'll happily test it. I'm really curious about how many improvements it will bring compared to the actual NMM beta.

Good work, people, all my kudos to you!

In response to post #57658006. #57660156 is also a reply to the same post.

VirusZ wrote: Guy, someone here said that I have to install vortex to same drive that my steam is installed to? What if I have steam to use 2 drives? SSD and HDD depending on the game.
Lazybob1 wrote: They were likely referring to setting the install path of mods (not vortex itself) to the same drive the game the mods are for. For bethesda this is necessary as the mods need to be on the same drive for hardlinks. Vortex itself could be installed anywhere though Nexus advises to install it to the C drive.

If you were referring to my post, then I feel obliged to clarify since I didn't explain things very well.
If you download the Vortex version that allows custom installation, you can install Vortex to a different drive then C. When you choose this option, Vortex will use hardlinks to connect mods to the game. One caveat when using hardlinks is any mods you want to use must be on the same drive as the game. Then in Vortex choose settings -> mods and set the paths for the currently active game to whaever you're using for that game. Anyways This is all explained in Vortex as well. I really think Vortex will be a great modding solution given enough time for people to figure it out. Remember this is an alpha release and not all functionality is available yet. Alpha means look for obvious bugs and ignore missing or incomplete features. Edited by VincentPlays4Keeps