Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

I think Vortex needs a dismiss all button on the notifications or even a option in settings for notifications that are not critical to automatic dismiss after a selectable amount of time. Damn things are driving me nuts. got to go over and dismiss each one or I can't see the action buttons being covered up with 25 notifications lol. That's one or the things that just make Vortex feel a little to needy. Sorta like modders right :)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57639276. #57653421 is also a reply to the same post.

hati39 wrote: Since I seem not to be the only one with this problem: do I install skse64 as a seperate tool like LOOT beside the games directory or do I install it inside the games directory (as described in the skse readme). And I remember some problems during my MO times, so: What do I do with the scripts of any mod that uses skse? Will I have to move them to skse/scripts or does Vortex handle them like any other mod file?

edit: the usage of FNIS reveals some questions in the same direction ;)

edit #2: ok, since I want to start testing and nobody has an answer for me, I've installed skse64 as I did with MO, so I installed the main files to the games dir and the data folder as a mod. I leave fnis uninstalled for now.
mcdanielskh wrote: Yes, that kind of what I did. Stuff that does not go in data will have to be manually put there, Stuff that goes in Data can be repackaged as a rar and added to Vortex using the drop file method.

You can just install the entirety of SKSE as "vanilla" files. MO required the scripts to be installed as a mod because the VFS was weird, but Vortex uses highly compatible features that come with Windows, so you don't have to do that.

In response to post #57639276. #57653421, #57697701 are all replies on the same post.

hati39 wrote: Since I seem not to be the only one with this problem: do I install skse64 as a seperate tool like LOOT beside the games directory or do I install it inside the games directory (as described in the skse readme). And I remember some problems during my MO times, so: What do I do with the scripts of any mod that uses skse? Will I have to move them to skse/scripts or does Vortex handle them like any other mod file?

edit #2: ok, since I want to start testing and nobody has an answer for me, I've installed skse64 as I did with MO, so I installed the main files to the games dir and the data folder as a mod. I leave fnis uninstalled for now.
mcdanielskh wrote: Yes, that kind of what I did. Stuff that does not go in data will have to be manually put there, Stuff that goes in Data can be repackaged as a rar and added to Vortex using the drop file method.
lued123 wrote: You can just install the entirety of SKSE as "vanilla" files. MO required the scripts to be installed as a mod because the VFS was weird, but Vortex uses highly compatible features that come with Windows, so you don't have to do that.

Let me get this straight, We should just install in Vortex as packaged?
Or dont use Vortex?
I want to use Vortex so I can easily remove them by purging.
Can Vortex install stuff outside of the Data folder?
If not then I'm back to doing it as I did it.,

The sorting option seems to have taken a step back since the Nexus Mod Manager. I just get a long list of mods, yes I can click to sort it by category but it remains just one long list. Clicking the categories button shows me a lot of empty folders until I have something installed.

Could the nested folders system of NMM not be reemployed in Vortex? With greyed out text for mods that are not installed?

In response to post #57690726.

Zortyx wrote: Crashed my computer twice when trying to deploy mods and made the screen turn colours i didn't even know it could... yeah i'm going to leave this alone until it reaches beta.

Zortyx, when you state that your computer crashed first thing I would check is to make sure you have your graphics drivers, and the operating system are up to date. Even your Mod load order can cause crashes. From what your describing it sounds more like it could be a graphics issue.

I did have a similar issue on my own computer, uninstalling the drivers for the card then reinstalling them fixed the issue. :)

In response to post #57639276. #57653421, #57697701, #57699261, #57727756 are all replies on the same post.

mcdanielskh wrote: disregard. accidental post. Sorry
lued123 wrote: You can just install the entirety of SKSE as "vanilla" files. MO required the scripts to be installed as a mod because the VFS was weird, but Vortex uses highly compatible features that come with Windows, so you don't have to do that.
mcdanielskh wrote: Let me get this straight, We should just install in Vortex as packaged?
Or dont use Vortex?
I want to use Vortex so I can easily remove them by purging.
Can Vortex install stuff outside of the Data folder?
If not then I'm back to doing it as I did it.,
mcdanielskh wrote: Thanks DarkDominion, That's what I thought as well, and what I originally did. :) Which happens to be how I use to do it in MO as well. I was thinking lued123 was saying something more profound than he really was. No offence intended lued123 and I get what you are saying as well. However, I think adding the parts that go into the Data folder by zipping and adding as a mod makes a lot of since as DarkDominion also suggested.

Install SKSE64: dll and exe go into the game file ( afaik Vortex can’t do this ) and I would suggest to zip up the scripts and install those through Vortex as any other date file dependent file ( so its easier to remove ).
That’s how I [edit] do it and it never fails...

EDIT: this is straight from Gophers video on how to install SKSE for Oldrim, not so much my idea :D Edited by DarkDominion

In response to post #57690726. #57703451 is also a reply to the same post.

Zortyx wrote: Crashed my computer twice when trying to deploy mods and made the screen turn colours i didn't even know it could... yeah i'm going to leave this alone until it reaches beta.
peteredw wrote: Zortyx, when you state that your computer crashed first thing I would check is to make sure you have your graphics drivers, and the operating system are up to date. Even your Mod load order can cause crashes. From what your describing it sounds more like it could be a graphics issue.

I did have a similar issue on my own computer, uninstalling the drivers for the card then reinstalling them fixed the issue. :)

That has nothing to do with it being alpha

In response to post #57687361. #57688641, #57688866, #57692656 are all replies on the same post.

bbair999 wrote: After several hours fooling around with Vortex, I'm liking what I see so far. Think this is a great start with lots of potential.

The biggest advantage I see is Vortex being a one-stop hub for all your games. That's a huge bonus IMO!

However, being an avid MO/MO2 user, I'm finding several powerful features are either lacking or simply not available (e.g., the ability to drag-and-drop mods and plugins in MO/MO2 was not only simple and intuitive, but WAY more efficient in terms of both ease and use of time). I hope this feature finds its way to the final product, otherwise I'll likely stick to MO/MO2 for the Skyrim and Fallout series.

Question: How do you change the Install Order numbering on the Mods Page and the Load Order numbering on the Plugins Page (the dependencies don't affect this from what I can tell)? This is driving me nuts! Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks!
VincentPlays4Keeps wrote: I can offer this...
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4306-vortex-feedback/
I'm learning alot there.
bbair999 wrote: Thank you! I'll check it out.
mcdanielskh wrote: Yes, Good info there. I see many have had the same round about learning curve I have been taking :)

""Question: How do you change the Install Order numbering on the Mods Page and the Load Order numbering on the Plugins Page (the dependencies don't affect this from what I can tell)? This is driving me nuts! Any help on this is much appreciated."""

.. after you enable all of your mods, go to the Plugins tab. Click on Manage Dependencies icon on the left top corner. A window will pop up. On the first left field, choose ( for example : Unofficial patch for skyrim ) Unofficial Patch, in the center field choose : load after and in the third field choose the mod that Unofficial Patch will be under ( Lanterns of Skyrim .. ), click ADD and then Close. Repeat the same process till you are done with your load order.

After you finish, click on the tool icon located on the right corner and only select "dependencies" and "load order". Click on the Load Order arrow twice and after that click on Sort Order ( located on the left corner ) twice. Your load order will show exactly as you told Vortex. You will see your master files first and then all of your mods and the mods load order numbers in descent order. This is one way but there is another way.

The other way is to drag/drop the mod to where you wanted to be. As soon as you drop it, the same window that I mentioned above will open and there you can decide how it will go. It does take a little time to figure it out ( I do admit that ). And I admit that dragging and dropping in NMM was very easy to do but I guess the way it is in Vortex, even though is not "that easy in compare to NMM", it is still easy and much better because conflicts between mods are being resolved.

One thing I would like to state about Vortex is : how important is now to read mod descriptions before installing the mod and how important is to have a proper load order. There are several advises about what should be the best load order for our games and we must follow those advises to make it easier when dealing with Vortex. The order that you install your mods does not play any rol after you rearrange them in the Plugins tab but if you install mods in the order that you finally want them to be in your load order, then it will help once you finally rearrange them in the Plugins tab. This is my personal opinion and I could be wrong.

Since I installed Vortex ( 3-4 days ago ), I played Skyrim during 17 hours. I had 6 CTD's in total in different places and inside and outside, and in places that I never ever had a CTD before. The problem was that my load order was not correct so I fixed it in the way I mentioned above, I finally installed SKSE and since then, everything is running as it should so I cannot blame Vortex but still I am testing it, because if it does happen again, I will provide my feedback. It is not my computer since I have a decent rig, enough VRAM, good loar oder, SKSE installed and to setup my load order in Vortex, I used a copy of my last load order from the last time I played Skyrim via NMM. I have that copy in my desktop so everything should be fine now.

Try to deal with it and figure out. It is not difficult and I got tired to be waiting for Gopher's video. He is done with the first two ( Introduction and the part 1 ) but those, even though they help, are not talking about how to use what we need to know : dependencies, load order, etc, etc, etc. At this point, I figured out by myself and I can tell everybody that is not difficult so you need to try. Once Gopher put out the video that we are waiting for, we will polish ourselves and it will be easier to understand certain things. This is my personal opinion and my personal experience with Vortex after 72 hours using it and playing with 98 mods including, 8 custom mods that I created via SSEEdit. :) Edited by sopmac45

In response to post #57690726. #57703451, #57703491 are all replies on the same post.

peteredw wrote: Zortyx, when you state that your computer crashed first thing I would check is to make sure you have your graphics drivers, and the operating system are up to date. Even your Mod load order can cause crashes. From what your describing it sounds more like it could be a graphics issue.

DarkDominion wrote: That has nothing to do with it being alpha

If it's during deploy mods, that's one thing, but if it's after, when you try to load the game you just set up mods for, then you have a mod conflicting that's causing game issues. Could use a little more info as to what you were doing, with what mod, so maybe we can help you diagnose it. :)

In response to post #57676981.

Neato wrote: Hello everyone, loving vortex so far and for the most part is working for me, just takes a little to figure things out. I do have a question, during a fresh install on a Windows 10, 8 GB ram 512 SSD 64 bits, machine, I get "An unrecoverable error occurred" query command exited with code 1" Error The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value at regKey.get (c:\program Files\black tree gaming ltd\vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\winreg\lib\registry.js:632:7 and it list lot's more at errors. I have uninstall it and re-install it several times but the results is the same, if I ignore then say I won't whine it actually boots up and seems to be working fine, so not sure if is affecting any of the operations and or functions. Have anyone else had this problem? fix? ideas? I want to thank the developers for Vortex, I think is going to be my preferred mod manager.

Sounds like your antivirus is causing you problems actually. Try disabling it to install it, then white-list the program before starting the antivirus back up.