Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #57598231. #57598486, #57598531, #57598606, #57599056, #57624816, #57625461, #57626621 are all replies on the same post.

avgnfan7800 wrote: im done, im going back to FOMMs and OBMM it been less than an hour and ive already given up on vortex. how is it so hard to make something better then prehistoric mod managers? apparently impossible, well atleast for nexus. i honestly wouldnt even visit this site if it wasnt the main and only place for mods. sadly i have to.
Ronin Silfar wrote: Did you even read the entire post before hunting for a download link? They warned it was still a buggy alpha release and advised people like you to NOT download it.
Anqayas wrote: +1
CrosSoldier wrote: u have to be trolling....did u read the post at all?? this is in ALPHA
r0ck7y wrote: that's why i think no one can comment anything until he read the entire article. people are just rude even if they been giving things for free and people work 24/7 to try to please them and make things much easier for them.
avgnfan7800 wrote: Don't release an alpha if it doesnt even work. NMM was a step above alpha and was a monumental piece of garbage, couldnt imagine what the finished version would have been like. and as i previously said it is very very sad that with two "attempts" with making a mod manager that they cant do basic functions. the prehistoric FOMMS And OBMM which are betas and not maintained any longer are still much more useful then these two half assed attempts.
r0ck7y wrote: and still i think you are rude here. if you don't like it you can just simply pass it and you don't even need to say anything. i did try it out and it's working fine with me despite a few bugs that's will be fixed soon. if you can't get it to work with you then i think simply this is your own problem that's all.
KensaiTonada wrote: Well.... bye.

"Alpha software is computer software that is still in the early testing phase. It is functional enough to be used, but is unpolished and often lacks many of the features that will be included in the final version of the program. The "alpha phase" of software development follows the early programming and design stages, but precedes the "beta phase" in which the software closely resembles the final version.
Since the alpha phase is an early part of the software development cycle, alpha software typically includes significant bugs and usability issues."

This was literally in the first few paragraphs. This is in Alpha, and so bugs are to be expected, as is lack of functionality. You were forewarned about the state of Vortex and yet you still felt the need to complain for the sake of complaining. You may want to wait until Vortex reaches Beta, or even Final Release if you expect it to work with all functionality. Edited by ajjones93

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57628901.

WhiteZero wrote:

So you can't launch the game with SKSE64 through Vortex?

You can. It is in the dashboard part of the program. You should see it about the middle of the screen. There you can launch SKSE64, SSEEdit, LOOT and any other thing you want. If it is not there you can add it on the right side with the Plus button.

So, I only have 30 min experience with Vortex thus far and it is a Alpha so I will try to be Calm :)

However, I got to say there is a lot of "confusingness" ( got me inventing words to describe this..) anyway this is what I have experienced thus far:

1. First impression: looks very "Square" like an apps on my phone. To me this look is not a positive because I hate my phone. I am 46 years old and I hate smartphones. I am not against what they do, but how they do it and what the priorities are. I think a phone should first and foremost be a phone. Aps be damned. OS, dont give a s#*!. I was in a car wreck a few years ago, turned my phone on to call 911 and I was greeted with "installing update 1 of 66. I almost bleed to death waiting for my phone OS to load so I could make a phone call to 911. Ridiculous. Additionally, compared to my computer, Smart phones are slow and inferior in every way, so why do I want my computer to look like a phone? Sorry, I digress. However, I can adapt if I must and this "look" is not as much a problem for me as it will be for other older people I think. What is more important to me is function. That being said, now onto function.

2. I believe I saw a button to post bugs but I can't find it now. It's like it disappeared.

3. I really like how easy it is to download mods. I downloaded a dozen or so in no time. However, the activation gets a little clunky. I want to just go down the line and activate but they keep moving around so I click the wrong one. I know you should test one at a time anyway, but I still think the process is a little clunky. There is also a little clunkiness about downloads and Mods. Let me try to explain. When the mod first downloads, you can see status of the download in the Downloads tab, that great. Once its downloaded it sits there in Downloads till you install it, then you also got to activate it. OK, now that I am trying to explain it I don't know why it feels clunky, maybe there's just to may spots were the same action could have been performed? I just Feel MO did things so much easier. The program just feels very needy with extra buttons actions needed, at least that's how it feels.

4. Now my biggest gripe. Load order and Install order. I have no idea how to change the install order, or how to look at what files overwrite . If Vortex does not have this ability, I believe it to be a huge step backwards from MO. Next, Load Order which is now called Plugins. Actually, I understand calling it plugins vs. load order. People always use to get install order and Load order confused. Nevertheless, that not my issue. Ok, so the issue may be just my not understanding the intention here. There is a sort now button and an auto sort enabled. If auto sort is enabled, why do I need a sort now button.? Does it do something else., and if Vortex sorts on its own, what do I need loot for? Also there were a few dependencies on several mods as soon as I activated them. I did not need to add it, I guess they were added already by the mod author, that's great. However, No matter what I did the dependencies were not followed by Vortex. I tried Auto sort enabled, disabled, I tried sort now. I installed loot and tried again, than ran loot and applied the changes and then tried sort now, but nothing. Finally, I figured it out. On each mod that had dependencies, I had to hit the edit button and then the check mark. Then it would move to where it should. So there is a check mark and a check mark in a box. I figured out the check mark in the box is the plugin that the checkmarked one has to come after. However, for example Dragonborn has a dependency to come after both Dawnguard and Hearthfires. However there in no checkmark in the box after Hearthfires only Dawnguard, but Hearthfires comes after Dawnguard. Luckily it did move Dragonborn after both as it should but there should be a check in a box next to all the dependencies shouldn't there be? or does the check in the box mean something else? I had similar problems with Update in the wrong spot and lanterns of skyrim dependency to be after the Unofficial Skyrim patch as well till I clicked edit. If the dependency is already known, there should be no reason to go to edit. Should have just sorted. So I guess we should use loot as before and the sort in Vortex is for additional dependencies that are not caught by Loot? If so why did loot not correctly fix the master dependency issues and why were dependencies for this in Vortex and not loot? These order issues have been know for a long time.

5. When I added Loot, the icon for loot in Vortec was replaced with a generic icon. I searched the Loot install location for the Icon but cannot find it.

Well, i know it looks like I totally hate Vortec, but I don't. I think it shows a lot of promise. In fact I get the feeling that the odd layout is on purpose. Right now it feels needlessly complicated and expansive without reason. However, perhaps that's because the frame has been build to have a lot added later? Please don't get discouraged by all of the comments that seem so negative. Just get what you need from them to make Vortex Great. Sometimes a comment itself might not be on point, but the comment might be a good indicator that something is not right in that area and needs some attention.

For you guys out there that are being needlessly rude. Will you please for one moment put yourself in the shoes of these guys that have poured their heart into creating Vortex. Its ok to not like something and they need to know about it but please try not to come across as a total D__K, even if you are.

In response to post #57628901.

WhiteZero wrote:

You can. It is in the dashboard part of the program. You should see it about the middle of the screen. There you can launch SKSE64, SSEEdit, LOOT and any other thing you want. If it is not there you can add it on the right side with the Plus button.

Thanks, totally missed that.

What an experience. I learned a lot in 24 hours like one mod organizer probably wasn't a freakish tool not to mess with. Importing from NMM was not successful and that I followed the instructions and NMM decided to delete mod load order on all profiles (don't walk away from pc if you got kids they close things) so reinstall all mods... And I always back up load order so import that.

Moving on.. Get a premium account use mmm click on each group of mods and I put this program through the hell. Installed all mods. We are way up above that 250 mark. Push vortex to get the job done. Go through load order merge plugins that I can merge together install those.

The only thing I have to say is damn no drag on load order.. I ended up using the master file and sorted it out that way. Becuase yelling at the pc to put the plugin at the bottom was 1 crazy and 2 pointless..

Finally I run loot no problems game loads and I can see the potential of the vortex, especially when someone with little experience like myself. Got it working great. Thanks.

In response to post #57628901. #57629476 is also a reply to the same post.

WhiteZero wrote:

Elta1 wrote: You can. It is in the dashboard part of the program. You should see it about the middle of the screen. There you can launch SKSE64, SSEEdit, LOOT and any other thing you want. If it is not there you can add it on the right side with the Plus button.

Yes, I can but for some reason, SKSE is not finding my TESV file which is not true because I played Skyrim last night and it is where it is supposed to be.

I tried to re-install SKSE and it is not working. The other error found by SKSE was : unable to locate the .dll file which is not true as well because I installed it and after gave me another error : skse.steam is not found ... so I gave up ...

In response to post #57598231. #57598486, #57598531, #57598606, #57599056, #57624816, #57625461, #57626621, #57628476 are all replies on the same post.

avgnfan7800 wrote: im done, im going back to FOMMs and OBMM it been less than an hour and ive already given up on vortex. how is it so hard to make something better then prehistoric mod managers? apparently impossible, well atleast for nexus. i honestly wouldnt even visit this site if it wasnt the main and only place for mods. sadly i have to.
Ronin Silfar wrote: Did you even read the entire post before hunting for a download link? They warned it was still a buggy alpha release and advised people like you to NOT download it.
Anqayas wrote: +1
CrosSoldier wrote: u have to be trolling....did u read the post at all?? this is in ALPHA
r0ck7y wrote: that's why i think no one can comment anything until he read the entire article. people are just rude even if they been giving things for free and people work 24/7 to try to please them and make things much easier for them.
avgnfan7800 wrote: Don't release an alpha if it doesnt even work. NMM was a step above alpha and was a monumental piece of garbage, couldnt imagine what the finished version would have been like. and as i previously said it is very very sad that with two "attempts" with making a mod manager that they cant do basic functions. the prehistoric FOMMS And OBMM which are betas and not maintained any longer are still much more useful then these two half assed attempts.
r0ck7y wrote: and still i think you are rude here. if you don't like it you can just simply pass it and you don't even need to say anything. i did try it out and it's working fine with me despite a few bugs that's will be fixed soon. if you can't get it to work with you then i think simply this is your own problem that's all.
KensaiTonada wrote: Well.... bye.
ajjones93 wrote: "Alpha software is computer software that is still in the early testing phase. It is functional enough to be used, but is unpolished and often lacks many of the features that will be included in the final version of the program. The "alpha phase" of software development follows the early programming and design stages, but precedes the "beta phase" in which the software closely resembles the final version.
Since the alpha phase is an early part of the software development cycle, alpha software typically includes significant bugs and usability issues."

This was literally in the first few paragraphs. This is in Alpha, and so bugs are to be expected, as is lack of functionality. You were forewarned about the state of Vortex and yet you still felt the need to complain for the sake of complaining. You may want to wait until Vortex reaches Beta, or even Final Release if you expect it to work with all functionality.

Bye

This software is obviously still in very early development, but using this has given me hope for what it can be.

My main issue with the mod currently is the file management in the specific game folders. Vortex seems to use the same system as NMM has used for "putting" mods in your game by just placing them in your Data folder, making it much too cluttered. I was hoping Vortex would use the system MO used by creating a separate "ModOrganizer" where anything to do with mods you downloaded can be easily accessed, edited, etc. Also I hope the Mods menu will, in the future, put your mods in Category tabs

The social aspect and user interface seems to be the main point of this alpha and it has immense opportunity to provide user with a better experience than MO or others could ever be.

Modding software has obviously needed an update, and I think this can get it done, but it still has a while to go.

In response to post #57628901. #57629476, #57631281 are all replies on the same post.

WhiteZero wrote:

Elta1 wrote: You can. It is in the dashboard part of the program. You should see it about the middle of the screen. There you can launch SKSE64, SSEEdit, LOOT and any other thing you want. If it is not there you can add it on the right side with the Plus button.
sopmac45 wrote: Yes, I can but for some reason, SKSE is not finding my TESV file which is not true because I played Skyrim last night and it is where it is supposed to be.

I tried to re-install SKSE and it is not working. The other error found by SKSE was : unable to locate the .dll file which is not true as well because I installed it and after gave me another error : skse.steam is not found ... so I gave up ...

You may need to edit the location of where skse exe is on Vortex. I had to do that and it works. However, the Icons change to a general default icon, not sure why.