Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA)

justwannaddl

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act

Civil Liberties Organizations Launch Protests Against CISPA

As summarized in the usnews article above, "The bill would allow private companies to access classified government information to help protect them from cyber attacks that bring down their networks. In return, those companies would be allowed to share users' private information with the government, as long as it constitutes a "cyber threat" or relates to homeland security."

Looks like this is coming to a vote in the House of Representatives sometime next week. It's funny, I never would have thought this wave of crap (further) violating privacy rights and net neutrality would come up and even have a chance to pass, especially so soon after SOPA. Any thoughts on the likelihood this tripe will become law?

edit:

House passes CISPA bill

Insanity: CISPA Just Got Way Worse, And Then Passed On Rushed Vote

House Roll Call: Cybersecurity

The last link is a list of how the people voted in the house.

:facepalm:

Edited by justwannaddl

Considering how much our politicians think and how close the other acts came to pass, I say it will be dancing on the knife edge between passing to the President and falling down into obscurity.

Then it will have to go past the President, which considering his stance on ACTA and SOPA, he will veto it.

After that, its a flip of a coin.

EDIT:

Of course the companies would switch sides. Now they get to read all that juicy information from our computers. :facepalm: There should be a day - just one - where it is open season on Congress....

Edited by saadus

There should be a day - just one - where it is open season on Congress....

haha, seriously. You know, I think the ancient Greeks used to 'vote' on the WORST politician in a given time frame and he was exiled from the country for a number of years, if I recall that right from History class.

Thing is: government can *never* really guarantee our security. Be it physical security or cyber security. No one knows what some whacko might code tomorrow and how he might deploy it. Heck, a disgruntled employee at one of the big companies like Microsoft, Symantec, Computer Associates, Oracle - could force out a trojan as an update to all computers using the software - then you're hosed good.

Imagine if something like Symantec Endpoint Security was internally compromised. The software is a royal pain to fix when it bugs out because of it's hooks in the OS and 'lockdown' features - should these same 'features' be used against people, it would make clean-up a monumental task.

But while government can never really guarantee security, they can in fact, guarantee available rights and liberties for people. This is why the 'founding fathers' framed the USA the way they did. Sadly; even though they have been dead for over 200 years, politically, they were far far more 'advanced' than the current ilk in Washington.

Funny thing about it is: Technology, Science, Medicine - they all move 'forward'. Politics on the other hand is more like a bell curve, it hits a 'high' and then slides back down, moving backwards. The evidence of this is our movement back towards a caste system or a feudal society where the 'rich' own most everything and control the 'poor'. And that gap seems to widen daily.

Edited by Overcast73

CISPA’s Latest Critic: The White House

mashable.com/2012/04/18/white-house-cispa/

Gist of article above: The White House wants more privacy protections and more focus on securing networks for critical infrastructure like power and water on any cyber-security bill. No word on whether they will veto CISPA if it passes the house and senate in its current form.

Not exactly the resounding rebuke of CISPA that I would like to see but at least they didn't come out trying to defend the garbage.

On greek exiles, I believe exile won't work since back then, it was more or less an extended death sentence. Nowadays, a rich bastard in exile would just set up shop in another country and possibly even continue screwing us from afar. I believe the old colonial practice of hot tarring and feathering followed by a parade out of the area they controlled is a suitable substitute for our failed leaders. For failed presidents, I'd suggest dumping them in the ocean.

Edited by justwannaddl

Doesn't surprise me. The British Government wants to pass a law to force ISP's to keep tracks and store records of our internet usage in much the same way and to be able to access who you are speaking to and when, what websites you visit and so on, WITHOUT WARRANT. Of course, they say they will need a warrant to actually read your emails, Skypes and PM's. Yeah yeah, we believe you, not. Never trusted them since my firewall once showed me I had been pinged from an address in Cheltenham. I am clearly a subversive since I protested against the hunting ban. (Yes, I know, is likely a coincidence and not GCHQ at all...isn't it????)

Good luck with getting your Bill in the US kicked out, I suspect the ISP's here will probably tell this Government the same as they did the Labour one when they tried it, which involved an expression that translates as "Go away".

Doesn't surprise me. The British Government wants to pass a law to force ISP's to keep tracks and store records of our internet usage in much the same way and to be able to access who you are speaking to and when, what websites you visit and so on, WITHOUT WARRANT. Of course, they say they will need a warrant to actually read your emails, Skypes and PM's. Yeah yeah, we believe you, not. Never trusted them since my firewall once showed me I had been pinged from an address in Cheltenham. I am clearly a subversive since I protested against the hunting ban. (Yes, I know, is likely a coincidence and not GCHQ at all...isn't it????)

Good luck with getting your Bill in the US kicked out, I suspect the ISP's here will probably tell this Government the same as they did the Labour one when they tried it, which involved an expression that translates as "Go away".

It won't go away, this is yet another E.U diktat, they'll keep trying until it gets through.

Never trusted them since my firewall once showed me I had been pinged from an address in Cheltenham. I am clearly a subversive since I protested against the hunting ban. (Yes, I know, is likely a coincidence and not GCHQ at all...isn't it????)

Probably the anti-hunting brigade. If someone turns up on your driveway wearing a fox suit, throw some KFC at it and run.

Edited by Dazaster

One day i can see the UK turn into a real V for vendetta, how that movie actually might be real someday. Unless the public does something about it. Ohh if you haven't watched it i suggest you do.