Skyrim Main Quest Overhaul [WIP]

behughes

Offering up my support in this endeavor. A brilliant idea, that, if finished properly, could be the most important mod ever made.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully we can do this right!

If youre still looking for writers I would like to offer my support.

As for an aftermath story, what I've always thought was missing from games like Skyrim is an attack on the player themselves, or what they have striven to build. This was actually what I hoped Dragornborn DLC would be, I hoped Milaak would attack the Player's allies to starve them of support forcing the player to learn the new shouts and maybe find new allies in order to combat the new threat.

It also struck me that Dragons had previously fought for dominance and to be proven the strongest dragon, surely with Alduin gone one would try to take his place.

For immediate aftermath, I've always thought you were never praised enough for defeating Alduin, maybe thats just my character's ego :P, but lets be honest you've just saved the entire world. You should be popular amongst the populace, particularly the none warrior Nords (being the Dragonborn alone should get you some of that, you're the symbol of the fight against the dragons). The Jarls and nobles should want to affiliate themselves with you, maybe even offer up unmarried sons/daughters to make you family. There would be a lot of politics behind such an event as Aludin's fall. For instance, why send the triumphant Dragonborn on a Test to see if s/he is fit to join the legion/stormcloaks? Surely they'd snap your hand off if you offered your support.

Rambling now, so going to stop myself as I know some of this strays from the main quest lines, but I hope its food for thought.

We'd love to have you! Shoot me an email at [email protected], with specifics about your interests, writing experience, other modding skills, etc.

For the Aftermath story, I do think the Dragonborn will find that he/she has made just as many enemies as friends, and some will be out for blood. If possible, I want to explore the conflicts that should existing between the factions, which in vanilla Skyrim, seem isolated and disinterested in the world at large. After Alduin's defeat and the end of the civil war, many of these factions will rise up to fill the power vacuum. And you're right about the political loose ends, which I'd also like to address in the story. I don't want to spoil too much, but it might be similar to Daggerfall's plot, with a touch of Clash of Kings. Romance, revenge, war, assassinations, necromancers, a severed head, cheese... and a Dragon Break to tie it all in a big pretty bow... or not, I really haven't a clue yet.

As for getting the NPCs to heap praise on you after you kill Alduin... I'd love that, but the problem there is voicing those NPCs. Instead, I'm considering working something into the plot to explain why the Dragonborn isn't famous or recognized everywhere he/she goes. But the city guards are omniscient, and can determine your stats and faction relationships by looking at you, so I dunno if that'll work.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hallo everyone,

Half Goat Studios is looking for active team members who are willing to be part of the project and help in almost all aspects of the mod.

With the help and insight of Mator (matortheeternal), we've decided it's more important to start development and stop focusing on writing awesome, ambitious stuff. We've also decided to break the project down into modules. This way it is possible to divide the team into sub-teams, each with their own module to work on. But while a sub-team is working on a certain module, they're still part of the total project. This means they share resources, join discussions, help with writing stories or flesh out new ideas.

So we're looking for people willing to participate in the total project and work on a module or help out with one. Since we're still finalizing the details of our changes to Act I, the modules we'll be creating first have mostly to do with new world-spaces. So level designers are especially appreciated.

To make the process of recruiting a bit easier, I've created an application form. So to join up, fill in the form and we'll get in touch with you, ASAP.

If you're a voice actor or want to become a play tester for this mod, we're a long way from needing your help, I'm afraid. If you do want us to know you're interested (even if it might take a while), you can also fill in the application form. We'll add your mail address to a list and we'll call out to everyone on that list once there's need of voice actors or play testers.

Hi, Sorry for not replying.

My job searching suddenly went into full flow, from next to no replies to CV to every other one replying. May even have a job by the end of next week (fingers crossed).

So cant guarantee having time to help any more, which is a shame, but will keep watching the development.

How much besides fantasies of ambitious staff was actually done since august 2012?

Not counting the occasional hiatus, we've spent the last year writing, designing new characters, creating their back-stories, discussing ES lore to assure we don't trample on Todd Howard's vision too much, making considerations for different play-styles, and determining which aspects of this mod are feasible from a technical point of view. It has been my directive NOT to rush this process, and to consider as many options as possible. As you might expect, sometimes this means spending time on a particular idea that turns out to be a dead end, but it's a very informative writing process.

That said, Act 1 is completely written. The quests have been designed and await implementation. Acts 2 or 3 have also been thoroughly discussed. Before we put any of this into the game though, we're planning to build the villages, dungeons, etc., which are to serve as settings for these quests first, a process which began last week.

I'm actually working in the CK right now, building one of our new towns, which will actually be released as a stand-alone mod in the very near future.

Unfortunately, because I want this mod to be compatible with other big, popular mods that overhaul things (namely ApolloDown's Civil War Overhaul), I now have to work around the Civil War stuff and avoid breaking any CW quests. That has been a learning process, as the civil war is a bit more complex than anything I've ever looked at before, with lots of non-linear quest sequences and "invisible" quests.

I hope that answers your question :D

I a world designed, I can make world environments and the like, I don't like scription, ai pathing and I can't do any sort of texture/mesh work but I have 200+ hours working with and on environments

Please tell me you plan on including alternate endings. Because not everyone wants to use those powers for good.

At the moment, there is essentially only one ending planned for the main quest itself, (spoiler: the Dragonborn defeats Alduin). But we plan to flesh out some of the paths that allow you to arrive at that ending, and the implications of your decisions along the way. It's more about the journey than the destination, right now. However, if we are able to follow up with an Aftermath story, there almost definitely be multiple endings, a bit like Daggerfall's main quest.

We're re-writing most of the dialogue throughout the Main Quest to give the player a greater voice, and to allow for a more varied role playing experience. At this point, I've accounted for many different heroic-type character builds, reluctant do-gooders, rogues, adventurers, etc., as well as more opportunistic characters. I'd be interested though to hear what kinds of characters people RP, and how the vanilla game succeeded/failed to support that character build. It would definitely help us develop the best possible story as we go forward and begin writing dialogue.

• 4 weeks later...