Syria

TheMastersSon

Well not imo but as always I defer to mod judgment. Unless somebody other than Trump, AIPAC and our Pentagon machine is claiming we have any business in Syria, or that it amounts to something other than attempted distraction from Trump's failed poll numbers and delusional/crumbling as we speak empire, no debate exists on Syria as far as I've read.

*reads over thread*

Looks like a debate to me. Moving this thread.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on debate of other issues I agree with the decision. But for the record no posts in this thread thus far have advocated U.S. military involvement in or with Syria. So technically it's a discussion about Syria not a debate.

My parting suggestion on this subject is to simply make a list of people and groups who support what Trump is doing in Syria and elsewhere, and you will have a remarkably accurate list of my country's actual enemies and soon to be (imo) final destroyers. This list isn't long, but thanks to a half century of voter apathy and strangulation of our electoral process by a two-party political cartel, this machine that has been selling our country down the river since Nixon now enjoys near absolute control of our federal government and has reached ascendency in both our country and the world.

Based on debate of other issues I agree with the decision. But for the record no posts in this thread thus far have advocated U.S. military involvement in or with Syria. So technically it's a discussion about Syria not a debate.

My parting suggestion on this subject is to simply make a list of people and groups who support what Trump is doing in Syria and elsewhere, and you will have a remarkably accurate list of my country's actual enemies and soon to be (imo) final destroyers. This list isn't long, but thanks to a half century of voter apathy and strangulation of our electoral process by a two-party political cartel, this machine that has been selling our country down the river since Nixon now enjoys near absolute control of our federal government and has reached ascendency in both our country and the world.

What's depressing is that on that list, would be the presidents security council, and most of his military advisers...... The very same people that talked him out of getting us out of Afghanistan.....

This is a pretty contentious topic and postings in this thread. It got heated. And honestly, TheMastersSon, far more can fly under the banner of "debates" than anywhere else on this site (though we do moderate it sometimes.) So any time you want to bring up a subject that you know people can get their panties in a wad about, in which you are asking for differing views, which you and others might disagree and set forth arguments for their sides. That is a debate even if everyone ends up agreeing with you about it, because the starting action leaves open that others will possibly present different views.

So really, at the end of the day I am more comfortable having the thread here and really, so should you since the debates section is not as heavily moderated as the rest of the site.

Lisnpuppy, I've been here a long time and I'm still waiting to disagree with a single decision made by any of this site's moderators. But when I started the Syria topic it was and still is for informational purposes and statement of my opinions, not debate about them, hence my OP and included article references. I don't know if you're in the U.S., but the only debate heard in my country about Syria is the same "debate" that was fabricated out of thin air, with very close to zero popular support and on behalf of specific special interest groups, about whether we should voluntarily and obscenely repress our inherent constitutional rights for internet traffic. I personally don't know anyone, even our multiple Comcast employee friends who supports Trump's intentional corruption of our FCC and Pai's resulting decision. Trump is now attempting to do the same thing to our FBI (and NSA btw) and I wish him the same luck Nixon had.

Edited by TheMastersSon

I wrote a big post but decided to keep it simple.

Whatever your initial reasoning this turned into a debate (off-topic as some post were.) This site is not a political platform or anyone's personal soapbox. We even moderate the image share for political content.

This isn't the first time I have moved something into the debates section. If you want to discuss (or debate) a political point then it goes here. And it is, in fact a better place for even your initial post (which why would you post that if you didn't want people to respond?) And as you have no way of knowing if everyone would agree with you, or if they would grab their orange cheeto spray and their pitchforks, you have to assume that 1) people will respond and 2) they may disagree and argue their point to the contrary. That is a debate. You are too smart to think that your post would not perhaps get some folks panties in a wad.

So that was it and here it is. Honestly, it is much safer a place to be because this is the place where moderation is, shall we say, at its most lenient.

If you don't agree with me then you know with whom you need to talk. Though I really hope I am not the first moderator with whom you decide to take an exception.

And since you asked, I do live in the U.S. in the state that voted the most for Trump (I did not.) I do not agree with most of the military actions that have gone on especially when ordered by a lone president. The Constitution is pretty clear on how that all works. In fact it is pretty clear of a great deal of what has been done and not done in this current administration and a few others. One of the biggest disappointments I have had was actually with Obama's administration who decided to make executive decisions without seeming to try to follow the Constitution, but rather by throwing crap on the wall to see what would stick.

But please continue your...discussions. I stand by my decision.

I stand by your decision too, based on overall thread drift. Also thanks for that middle part, it explains a lot - including why this isn't the first time I've managed to get a thread moved to the Debates forum that was merely informational and/or a statement of opinion. In the future I'll reserve all issues that are likely to drift into debate for this forum regardless of whether I'm seeking anybody else's opinions or debates on these issues. I thought the Debates forum was reserved for intended debates only. Edited by TheMastersSon

I stand by your decision too, based on overall thread drift. Also thanks for that middle part, it explains a lot - including why this isn't the first time I've managed to get a thread moved to the Debates forum that was merely informational and/or a statement of opinion. In the future I'll reserve all issues that are likely to drift into debate for this forum regardless of whether I'm seeking anybody else's opinions or debates on these issues. I thought the Debates forum was reserved for intended debates only.

I don't think it's possible to state an opinion anywhere on these forums, and NOT end up in a debate. :) Even a simple statement of fact would likely devolve into one. :) If you said "Grass is Green", I am quite certain someone would come along and mention grass might possibly be blue as well... Etc. :D

I only started reading this post to see if it got any attention from people who would actually have a bit of power in the House or the Senate. Or maybe still, the President might get uptight or upset that someone is fingering him from far away in a place that Once Upon a Time had powers of magic an mayhem that was stirred up by the Old Kingdom.

A forum for video game mods.

I mean sincerely. If what themastersson is posting is news I wouldn't buy the papers its written on.

TheMastersSon, on 18 Apr 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:snapback.png

I stand by your decision too, based on overall thread drift. Also thanks for that middle part, it explains a lot - including why this isn't the first time I've managed to get a thread moved to the Debates forum that was merely informational and/or a statement of opinion. In the future I'll reserve all issues that are likely to drift into debate for this forum regardless of whether I'm seeking anybody else's opinions or debates on these issues. I thought the Debates forum was reserved for intended debates only.

Posted Today, 06:29 AM by HeyYou

I don't think it's possible to state an opinion anywhere on these forums, and NOT end up in a debate. :smile: Even a simple statement of fact would likely devolve into one. :smile: If you said "Grass is Green", I am quite certain someone would come along and mention grass might possibly be blue as well... Etc. :D

Posted today at 8:11 AM by Pagafyr

What?! Blue is green and red blended together by bit with some white little old chicken scratching at the ground trying to find worms. Their feathers mingled with brown turn it orange where they crap on the ground. While using some of the color from chicks whose feathers are still yellow it can be a fine mustard seed color. Once it is all gets blurred by the way the chickens seem to blend in with the surrounding colors, with the other colors around them, when they are running from a fox... Well the color scheme can be debated but no artist would debate that topic. I saw that once when I got my first taste of White Refined Sugar. White Refined Sugar makes everything taste better.

Well the color scheme can be debated but no artist would debate that topic.

Would they?!

Here's that word and it's meaning too. We called it a $50.00 word during the college humor minute before class started. You know; just before the guy like TheMastersSon, "Mr. Know it All" came into the room.

Psychosis: a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Or in my case. A severe sense of disappointment because everything I read and hear from the newspapers and internet posts about stuff not related to video games turn out to be about as exciting as watching the people with so much time on their hands, outside the House and Senate buildings waving their signs shouting trying to raise some excitement instead of going to the meetings sitting in the audience and applauding or booing when the speakers are reading the latest bill that they want to pass.

Most of the house and senate speakers might like to have the paper the bills are written on put on a roll and stuck in the little booth where they pass what they ate for breakfast.

I only started reading this post to see if it got any attention from people who would actually have a bit of power in the House or the Senate. Or maybe still, the President might get uptight or upset that someone is fingering him from far away in a place that Once Upon a Time had powers of magic an mayhem that was stirred up by the Old Kingdom.

Years ago I decided to stop posting in Huffpo's forums for that first reason, and it was easily one of my most surreal experiences. I don't begin to have any answers either, I mean final answers to any problem, and we (my family pointed this out to me, I didn't even notice it at the time) stopped counting at five the number of times I made suggestions in posts that were followed the very next day by those exact suggestions in our Senate. I started to actually believe they were taking at least some of their direction from a middle-aged gamer sitting in a bedroom in the middle of the Sierra Nevadas. I still believe it was simply coincidence btw, none of my suggestions were new (well, a few were). :)