ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

"It's like these big businesses don't want people to use their gift card system!"

What about GOG? Could you perhaps work out some kind of deal with them?

Edited by Lollia

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #60357267.

Lollia wrote:

"It's like these big businesses don't want people to use their gift card system!"

We could potentially do the "gift a game" system, as I believe this can be done simply by sending it to an email address (rather than Steam's stupid "you can only gift to a friend" system). We can't do GOG gift cards because GOG don't have gift cards, unfortunately.

In response to post #60357267. #60357372 is also a reply to the same post.

Lollia wrote:

Dark0ne wrote: We could potentially do the "gift a game" system, as I believe this can be done simply by sending it to an email address (rather than Steam's stupid "you can only gift to a friend" system). We can't do GOG gift cards because GOG don't have gift cards, unfortunately.

Ah, I didn't know that. They are an excellent company, though. I've never had any trouble with them, unlike Steam... :wacko:

Thanks for the reply. :happy:

I'm surprised by all the people complaining about this system that have never uploaded a mod, nor are they even paying nexus subscribers. You have literally no skin in the game. You're just complaining about other people doing things in their own free time that you don't like.

This donation pool system might not be perfect, but to the best of my knowledge, it's the best attempt so far. Maybe even the ONLY attempt so far. If you don't like it, simply don't participate. And can we stop with the fire and brimstone predictions about this ruining all modding forever and ever?

Though I would like to echo an earlier suggestion that we change the name from Donation Pool to Nexus Bucks :smile:

That's just my own not-so-humble opinion.

In response to post #60360162.

Vanguardascendant wrote:

I'm surprised by all the people complaining about this system that have never uploaded a mod, nor are they even paying nexus subscribers. You have literally no skin in the game. You're just complaining about other people doing things in their own free time that you don't like.

This donation pool system might not be perfect, but to the best of my knowledge, it's the best attempt so far. Maybe even the ONLY attempt so far. If you don't like it, simply don't participate. And can we stop with the fire and brimstone predictions about this ruining all modding forever and ever?

Though I would like to echo an earlier suggestion that we change the name from Donation Pool to Nexus Bucks :smile:

Another perspective to keep in mind is that there are actually many people who have learned the Creation Kit and made their own mods that they may be in the process of refining (gathering permissions, checking for compatibilities, etc...) in order to one day share with others on the Nexus. Perhaps such people have already juggled with all the pros and cons of sharing their work to begin with, and then all of a sudden this new system gets put into place, introducing a new hurdle to their already complicated decision.
Food for thought.

Vanguardascendant wrote:

"Another perspective to keep in mind is that there are actually many people who have learned the Creation Kit and made their own mods that they may be in the process of refining (gathering permissions, checking for compatibilities, etc...) in order to one day share with others on the Nexus. Perhaps such people have already juggled with all the pros and cons of sharing their work to begin with, and then all of a sudden this new system gets put into place, introducing a new hurdle to their already complicated decision.

Food for thought."

I guess I fail to see how that's a "hurdle". Prior to this system, mod writers had one choice and one choice only. That "choice" was to not receive donations. Now, they have two choices. They can continue to not receive donations (no change from before), or they can opt to receive them. For those who don't like the new system, they can continue on with the old one. I don't see any downside to having a choice between two options versus not having that choice. All things being equal, having a choice is always better than not. In my mind, to say that this is a hurdle or difficulty is like saying, "I really hope they don't make another Marvel superhero movie, because they I'll have to choose whether I see it or not". In my opinion, if a choice like this is really that difficult for somebody to deal with, I think they might need some perspective.

Side note, I suck at using this quote button, so if the above doesn't format quite right, I apologize.

In response to post #60362372.

Vanguardascendant wrote:

Vanguardascendant wrote:

"Another perspective to keep in mind is that there are actually many people who have learned the Creation Kit and made their own mods that they may be in the process of refining (gathering permissions, checking for compatibilities, etc...) in order to one day share with others on the Nexus. Perhaps such people have already juggled with all the pros and cons of sharing their work to begin with, and then all of a sudden this new system gets put into place, introducing a new hurdle to their already complicated decision.
Food for thought."

I guess I fail to see how that's a "hurdle". Prior to this system, mod writers had one choice and one choice only. That "choice" was to not receive donations. Now, they have two choices. They can continue to not receive donations (no change from before), or they can opt to receive them. For those who don't like the new system, they can continue on with the old one. I don't see any downside to having a choice between two options versus not having that choice. All things being equal, having a choice is always better than not. In my mind, to say that this is a hurdle or difficulty is like saying, "I really hope they don't make another Marvel superhero movie, because they I'll have to choose whether I see it or not". In my opinion, if a choice like this is really that difficult for somebody to deal with, I think they might need some perspective.

Side note, I suck at using this quote button, so if the above doesn't format quite right, I apologize.

I meant that it's a hurdle in the respect that no one really knows how well the point system is going to work. It may look really great on paper, but we have to see it in action first. The first few months of its function may introduce hiccups and other issues that need ironing out.

You should read Thaiauxn's posts from earlier in the thread for an example as to how, optional as the point system may be, it can be both an emotional hurdle and a business headache. Edited by Lollia

In response to post #60362372.

Vanguardascendant wrote:

Vanguardascendant wrote:

Food for thought."

"I meant that it's a hurdle in the respect that no one really knows how well the point system is going to work. It may look really great on paper, but we have to see it in action first. The first few months of its function may introduce hiccups and other issues that need ironing out.

You should read Thaiauxn's posts from earlier in the thread for an example as to how, optional as the point system may be, it can be both an emotional hurdle and a business headache."

I went back and read them and it just doesn't resonate as any kind of emotional hurdle to overcome. You can literally just do nothing, and nothing changes. I can't imagine something simpler that doing nothing. The complain seems to be that people have a choice to "not do nothing". That being said, I understand you have a different opinion on this and we probably should just agree to disagree.

I do agree with you that there might be difficulties to work through from a business or legal perspective, but that goes with just about anything in life. Personally, I really like the idea of mod authors having the choice to be rewarded for their hard work. I upgraded my account to a premium specifically to be part of this program. I wouldn't expect to receive all the benefits of the modding community without in some way contributing to it. I fully understand that some, not all, mod authors do their work for the love of it. I respect their choice to opt out of this. It's also my understanding that there really won't be that much money being distributed on a per-author basis. Who knows though, that could change. And if the model doesn't work well, or if Nexus get's flooded with spam-mods, I expect that the site owners will likely change the policy and model to fix that.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6672567-change-donation-points-to-nexus-bucks/

show your support!